• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH80 DSP Monitor Measurements #3

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just did that, #491

I guess that setup isn’t anything near the casual Hifi rig average Joe sports in his IKEA furnished living room.

And that need for heavy room correction… DSP MacGyvering.

YSC

Major Contributor
I am kind of interested to the only low-mid response control of the KH80DSP, I've seen Genelec with their graphs showing effects of various dip switch and tune my setup with that to attain a more or less following target response curve, while the KH80DSP measure even better in anechoic chamber, it seems that it have less ability to be tuned for a desired in room response?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I am kind of interested to the only low-mid response control of the KH80DSP, I've seen Genelec with their graphs showing effects of various dip switch and tune my setup with that to attain a more or less following target response curve, while the KH80DSP measure even better in anechoic chamber, it seems that it have less ability to be tuned for a desired in room response?

Maybe i dont understand the question, but do you know that the KH80 has an 8 band PEQ built in? You need an iPad to control it, though. The switch is only needed when you don't have an iPad.

YSC

Major Contributor
Maybe i dont understand the question, but do you know that the KH80 has an 8 band PEQ built in? You need an iPad to control it, though. The switch is only needed when you don't have an iPad.
O, I don't notice that one, I thought only the switch is available so wonders what's it changing

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
wonders what's it changing

1626337504884.png

Source: https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-80-dsp-a-g#technical-data

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

PaulieDC

…for mixing. In the control room.

Here is Bob Katz in his:
View attachment 140974

cheers
Wow, I have the same wood CD/DVD rack as Bob, there's hope for me yet!

I just got the KH80/750 sub system with the mic, got it networked and hopefully will do the Cal tonight. Just using the iPad app with the questions it asks gave me a result that made the KH80s sound quite thin which is initially disappointing (snare drum on a Steve Oliver jazz tune sounds like the hand-clap on a TR-808 drum machine). So I'm looking forward to the Cal with the mic, we'll see. The sub is brand new, the KH80s were pristine demo's from Sweetwater music, couldn't pass them up at $379/ea. WHOA, just realized something... DEMOS... I'd better run the factory reset on the 80s, I saw that mentioned in the manual!

I won't bore y'all with too much info after I run it, I probably know 10% of what all of you forgot about audio science, but reading this thread was pretty amazing info.

PaulieDC

Hey all, I'll post a bigger observation on these KH80s and 750 sub rig, but the final outcome was arm-hair-raised pure joy once I did everything right. I did at least 5 things wrong during setup and calibration, not Neumann's fault. The outcome was more than I hoped for, the clarity and depth of this system and the surprising smoothness between the sub and the near-fields is genuinely amazing, now that I erased 5 levels of stupid on my part. Worth every penny now that they are set up. More to come!

Newman

Major Contributor
@PaulieDC what is your listening distance and room size?

PaulieDC

@PaulieDC what is your listening distance and room size?
Since I do MIDI composing I sit close. I have a limited-size desk in our office/craft room/"studio". Room is 18'x15', I'm up against a short wall near the corner (I know, I know... has to be this way) but there's carpeting and furniture-a-plenty behind me. My triangle from sitting position to each KH80 is 44" and they are 44" apart. I sit closer to the left wall so I have acoustic treatment behind the KH80s and on the wall to the left with a bass trap in the corner (I have a big IKEA corner desk like a big boomerang and use one side as my composing desk, so about 60" wide and 30" deep as my workspace. It all not ideal but I'm doing the most I can with it). The KH80s are raised up off the desk on custom stand I made, and then I needed 4" more to get the to optimum height plus I needed absorption. Got a Pair of AmazonBasics Yoga blocks and they fit like they were made for the KH80s, same exact width and gets them up 4". I never even heard of Yoga blocks (and don't even know what they are for in Yoga, lol) but someone else mentioned them and for 12 bucks I gave it w whirl, and they're great. Here they are. Pic attached if interested!

Attachments

• Yoga Block.jpg
    Yoga Block.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

audafreak

There is talk about stands...so a bit of inspiration for home made replacement for LH 61 mounting adapter if you use KH80 in the living room and you do not need tilting and fixed installation is enough. Maybe nicer than original.
20210715_172327.jpg20210715_172227.jpg20210715_172259.jpg

redshift

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

redshift

For the KH80 you can buy a dedicated VESA-adapter from Neumann (https://en-de.neumann.com/lh-64). But it is expensive (38 EUR per piece) like all accessories from Neumann.

Yes, that should be the default on all near field monitors, prosumer or pro. VESA screw holes on all sides of the cabinet.

That was the problem with my PSI’s. However easily solved with blind nuts, a drill and some epoxy resin.

This is what I bought for my PSI’s:

5655829_800.jpg

1626946718474.jpeg
1626946784102.jpeg

And some measuring tape plus Pythagorean triangles. Then it was easy peasy to unleash my apparatus of destruction on the cabinets.

1626946978316.gif

radix

Major Contributor
I used the Genelec 8000-437B VESA adapter on my KH80s. They are in stock at B&H, whereas the Neumann adapters were backordered an unknown time. They are $70 or so each, but work perfectly on the KH80.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used the Genelec 8000-437B VESA adapter on my KH80s. They are in stock at B&H, whereas the Neumann adapters were backordered an unknown time. They are $70 or so each, but work perfectly on the KH80.
Pictures?

radix

Major Contributor
Pictures?

I don't have the VESA desk mounts yet, those shipped separately. This uses the screws included with the Genelec mount. Yes, that's a no-name random cat 5 cable I used -- hopefully it won't distort the DSP settings. And the audio is carried on a Kopul Studio Elite 4000 10' cable that I splurged on for $21.

IMG_2903.jpeg

Top Bottom