• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 341 86.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 2.5%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just a quick note in their defense. The Mytek is actually a server and can store content. Not that this is very useful these days with streaming and such but it does have that functionality as a Roon core above and beyond a standard streamer.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I have an almost identically looking Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ released back in 2018 and I wonder how it measures and what (apart from appearance) it has in common with Brooklyn Bridge II.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Would a simple shield around the transformer be enough to properly reduce its interference?
It would help some but I suspect there is also PCB ground layout issues and transformer wiring layout issues that will still spoil the performance.
We're lucky that Amir didn't measure the Phono Input, it's probably abysmal.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a quick note in their defense. The Mytek is actually a server and can store content. Not that this is very useful these days with streaming and such but it does have that functionality as a Roon core above and beyond a standard streamer.
You can buy a 14” MacBook Pro M3 Max (14/30 CPU/GPU cores) with 36GB RAM and 4 TB SSD for about the same money. Its 3.5 mm output has about 100 SINAD, so on par with this thing. Seems like a better deal despite the maddening SSD Apple Tax :facepalm:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

At times we take for granted what ASR has brought to the community of audiophiles: A few years ago. before ASR, we had few (no?) ways to ascertain the quality of this, or similar items. The price would have made it somehow .. interesting.. not entirely HEA... borderline maybe @ $5000... A streamer to consider for a "pure" 2-channel system and it can run ROON ...
Forward to today...
We know we would (shall?) this expensive product. We know this emperor has few clothes. We know we can get better performance for about 1/10 the price, or if one wants to have the streaming and ROON functionalities, perhaps 1/5? 1/7?
A new era.

Thanks @amirm!

Peace.

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
It would help some but I suspect there is also PCB ground layout issues and transformer wiring layout issues that will still spoil the performance.
We're lucky that Amir didn't measure the Phono Input, it's probably abysmal.
Loosen the nut holding the toroidal and rotate it if possible. I have reduced noise in several devices using this method.

Redman43

Many see this as a fail from the company, I don't. They know that many so-called "audiophiles" out there equate "Big Price-->Quality stuff" and we all know it works. They would not charge 5000 dollars if they did not know that they could get away with it ;)

Pinkynator

My internet router, which I paid roughly 140€ / $150, has an USB port and can be a server if I connect an external drive to it. I can make it an SMB share, and I can make it DLNA-compliant. If Roon ever releases an ARM64 build... I can then make my router a Roon server.

Only ethernet inputs and outputs on my router though, and I think they're unbalanced, but all can be fixed with specially braided Cat6a cables! (if you first burn them in at 10 Gbps)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get labor costs, and just cost of business here is high. But come on, have some pride and stop being a bunch of charlatans goodness.. As if NYC doesn't have an image problem enough as it is. Get your products at or above competition if you're going to vye for prestige and a higher asking price.
It's designed in New York but built in Poland. Not saying they don't deserve a good working wage as well.

Mytek Bridge II Roon Core DAC Streamer USB balanced phono stage back panel review.jpg

KSTR

Major Contributor
Loosen the nut holding the toroidal and rotate it if possible. I have reduced noise in several devices using this method.
True, but not suited to mass production ;-)
It could well be the mains disturbance will not reduce much even if the transformer itself were out-boarded with extension wires, a meter away.

I think the design of this box was mostly driven by marketing considerations making as much compromises they could get away with, given the large feature set. This thing wants to be a preamp, source selector, headphone amp, streamer with storage... a full-blown control center in the "good enough" category.

DanielT

Major Contributor

Sokel

Master Contributor
@WolfX-700 did too with the Gustard pre,it was interesting to see the effect (inaudible of course but for as visuals is a must)

Edit:wrong wolf,corrected

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so surprising because:

Mytek Digital was founded in New York in 1992 by Polish native Michal Jurewicz. At the time of the founding of the company, he worked in one of the leading recording studios in New York – Skyline and at the same time was developing his own DACs and ADCs for work in the studio. His works not only passed testing, but were also successfully used in work. Since 1995, Mytek Digital has become his main business and his work has continued to focus on creating high-end studio equipment. In 2005, the company became an official partner of Sony Music in the development of tools for working with the DSD format and SACD recording, which automatically made Mytek the leading DSD experts in the world.

I was replying to @Tks who was commenting on the high labor costs in New York possibly adding to the price but it isn't built in New York.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks @amirm for another revealing review. Regarding the BB II, not a surprise knowing the obscure history behind this particular Mytek unit. Mytek started taking pre orders back in 2021 and by the end of 2023, customers who paid back in 2021, were still waiting for delivery. They also offered an upgrade from BB I to BB II that was never fulfilled. Roon forum is full of complaints from customers still waiting for delivery almost 4 years after fully paying for their units. My recommendation is to stay away from this company and look elsewhere.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think it's another product designed with a 'just good enough performance' mentality. I suspect it's transparent enough in practice but way off beam now technically when all these super-dacs are around for a ton or two these days. That slow filter may appeal to ignorant audiophools, but surely that could be fixed to work properly? Would a simple shield around the transformer be enough to properly reduce its interference?

Will that internal computer go so out of date it can't be used in a few years time? Maybe I'm confusing the functionality with the early now ten or so years old Naim streamers which I gather glitched themselves almost into non-use - they offered a not very generous trade in on new products (a measly ten percent or so off a new one) late last year.
Naim killed my streamer with new firmware ten years ago - I had to sell my naim streamer as a dac only . No more Naim for me after that .

Regarding the slow digital filter in the Mytek , I think its deliberately to make the streamer sound softer . You see the same thing in Marantz players.

A big toroid trafo needs to be in a different box to not induce magnetical pollution , like Linn did in their lk280 spark power supply .

Last edited:
Top Bottom