• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weiss DAC501 Streamer and DAC Review

Rate this DAC/Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 160 47.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 132 39.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.9%

• Total voters

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not certain all that we hear is measured, or we know all the performance measurements that represent what we hear.
Hearing is a physical phenomenon: wavelengths of air pressure. What we hear can be measured completely. It’s not magic. It’s math and science.

However, just because something is measurable does not mean it is audible. Noise and distortion below the human threshold of hearing can be measured but not heard.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The old adage 'you get what you pay for' seems completely irrelevant these days, just create a hype train and rinse those customers while laughing hysterically all the way to the bank.

FWLarson

Forum Donor
The 502-mk2 still in everyday play here. A few cable changes since original install, but never any complaints with SQ or utility in our system. No regrets on the $$ either. I think this is a keeper.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For that price, it should also clean the house and cook meals.
Or at the very least offer state-of-the-art performance, which it does not. There are <$100 DACs that outperform it. I’d feel ripped off. It still offers objectively good performance, but at what cost?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The 502-mk2 still in everyday play here. A few cable changes since original install, but never any complaints with SQ or utility in our system. No regrets on the $$ either. I think this is a keeper.

It's good to be happy with what you have.

For others, no reason to be quite so snarky with these responses.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's good to be happy with what you have.

For others, no reason to be quite so snarky with these responses.
I didn’t think I was being snarky. It’s just that the unit offers merely good performance at an extremely high price. It’s not a good value proposition, even with its feature set.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t think I was being snarky. It’s just that the unit offers merely good performance at an extremely high price. It’s not a good value proposition, even with its feature set.
With that, we get into the Bugatti Veyron vs Toyota Supra discussions though. If you have the $$$, you can do whatever you want with your money, and it is about completely different value propositions. At least here you don't get a boat anchor made out of gold.

FWLarson

Forum Donor
Again, despite measurements presented earlier, it’s actually a solid, great performing and sounding unit in our rig relative to many similar products at various price points. Its a keeper.

MacClintock

With that, we get into the Bugatti Veyron vs Toyota Supra discussions though. If you have the $$$, you can do whatever you want with your money, and it is about completely different value propositions. At least here you don't get a boat anchor made out of gold.
Sorry to say, but the car analogy to hifi has never worked. If you spend a lot of money on a car, you can either get a luxurious sedan or a fast sportscar or so, but it's performance will be in one sense or another vastly superior to a cheap car. For so-called "high-end" hifi gear, it is often only the looks, design and materials that are better, the performance itself, i.e. the orginal purpose, be it amplification, streaming, digital-to-analog conversion or generating sound with transducers, is either indistinquishable or many times shockingly inferior to good measuring cheap gear.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to say, but the car analogy to hifi has never worked. If you spend a lot of money on a car, you can either get a luxurious sedan or a fast sportscar or so, but it's performance will be in one sense or another vastly superior to a cheap car. For so-called "high-end" hifi gear, it is often only the looks, design and materials that are better, the performance itself, i.e. the orginal purpose, be it amplification, streaming, digital-to-analog convertion or generating sound with transducers, is either indistinquishable or many times shockingly inferior to good measuring cheap gear.

I fundamentally disagree. If price-performance ratios were relevant in the car world, we'd probably all be driving a Toyota Pruis or such. The superior performance of a Veyron is totally and ridiculously idiotic on open roads and in any practical way. It's just a lot of unusable tech in a designer package. Have you seen the interior of one?

I would not call you a fool if you bought a Veyron, nor if you bought the product discussed in this thread. It would be clear to me that both your priorities and your credit card limit are higher than mine. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The superior performance of a Veyron is totally and ridiculously idiotic on open roads and in any practical way. It's just a lot of unusable tech in a designer package. Have you seen the interior of one?
At least it real…

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least it real…
Well, you could say the same about a 120dB SINAD DAC vs a 110dB one... :-D Real but... relevant? Overdesigned? What do you tell your GF when she absolutely wants a $9K designer bag? :-D I think there have been far worse offenders in the price-performance race in ASR. In this case, you pay for the brand and looks, and those who buy into that value proposition at least know that this isn't any bad by rational performance criteria.

I converted myself to a more minimalist lifestyle, but heaven knows I did overspend on luxury products in my time. I just happen to see both sides of the coin, never more appropriately stated. :)

MacClintock

Well, you could say the same about a 120dB SINAD DAC vs a 110dB one... :-D Real but... relevant? Overdesigned? What do you tell your GF when she absolutely wants a $9K designer bag? :-D I think there have been far worse offenders in the price-performance race in ASR. In this case, you pay for the brand and looks, and those who buy into that value proposition at least know that this isn't any bad by rational performance criteria.

I converted myself to a more minimalist lifestyle, but heaven knows I did overspend on luxury products in my time. I just happen to see both sides of the coin, never more appropriately stated. :)
You seem to miss the central point. It is most of the times even the cheaper DAC that has the 120db SINAD in contrast to the 110dB from the expensive one. No cheap car is as fast as the Veyron. That might not matter to you, but the purpose of cars is to drive, and a good one drives e.g. faster or smoother or whatever. Much of the expensive gear does nothing better for what is was designed to do in comparison to cheap, good gear. The analogy just does not work.

Last edited:

Arnas

I understand if buyer wants something luxurious, but this ugly thing is anything, but luxurious.
Matrix x sabre 3 looks and feels luxurious and cost 3 times less, this one look like 500 bucks dac. True definition of snake oil.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you really not get it? It is most of the times even the cheaper DAC that has the 120db SINAD in contrast to the 110dB from the expensive one. No cheap car is as fast as the Veyron. That might not matter to you, but the purpose of cars is to drive, and a good one drives e.g. faster or smoother or whatever. Much of the expensive gear does nothing better for what is was designed to do in comparison to cheap, good gear. The analogy just does not work.
I am not going to argue with you. The problem with analogies is they are not universally valid, ever. A Pollock painting is worth $150M to some, while others declare it garbage. A Veyron is the most impractical car you can buy, and yet you clearly seem to submit to its irrational appeal. (Heck, if you gave me one I'd take it until the first maintenance is due]). :-D

I'll just say am naturally adverse to living around "best deals" and "I saved a buck" stuff. I am far more rational these days. But I still gravitate towards a balance of external and internal design, and yes, I will admit I am a bit of a snob here and there. It would be a sad day for market economy when all of our collective choices default to a monopolist best value standard.

MacClintock

I understand if buyer wants something luxurious, but this ugly thing is anything, but luxurious.
Matrix x sabre 3 looks and feels luxurious and cost 3 times less, this one look like 500 bucks dac. True definition of snake oil.
I wouldn't call it snake oil as it, basically, does it's job. I also would not think that the unique selling proposition is luxury, as it looks quite minimalistic, but rather, coming from a studio context, utmost performance. And it is exactly in this respect that the device fails badly.

MacClintock

I am not going to argue with you. The problem with analogies is they are not universally valid, ever. A Pollock painting is worth $150M to some, while others declare it garbage. A Veyron is the most impractical car you can buy, and yet you clearly seem to submit to its irrational appeal. (Heck, if you gave me one I'd take it until the first maintenance is due]). :-D

I'll just say am naturally adverse to living around "best deals" and "I saved a buck" stuff. I am far more rational these days. But I still gravitate towards a balance of external and internal design, and yes, I will admit I am a bit of a snob here and there. It would be a sad day for market economy when all of our collective choices default to a monopolist best value standard.
Sure not problem. There is per se nothing wrong with luxury. But everybody should be aware of what is offered. I think nobody buying a Luis Vuitton bag would claim that it has superior functionality to a standard bag. And if you like fast and extreme designed cars and buy a Veyron, that is fine. In "high-end" audio, and that is where the car analogy breaks down, you more often then not get the Veyron look and price with the Prius performance.

Top Bottom