• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weiss DAC501 Streamer and DAC Review

Rate this DAC/Streamer

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 160 47.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 132 39.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.9%

• Total voters

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure not problem. There is per se nothing wrong with luxury. But everybody should be aware of what is offered. I think nobody buying a Luis Vuitton bag would claim that it has superior functionality to a standard bag. And if you like fast and extreme designed cars and buy a Veyron, that is fine. In "high-end" audio, and that is where the car analogy breaks down, you more often then not get the Veyron look and price with the Prius performance.
I agree with the overall sentiment, hopefully that is very clear. My point is only that, in this particular review, you seem to be getting fair performance at the very least.

The father of market economy already stated that pricing is not about cost of goods, but about perceived value. And that holds in any realm of our world, and clearly is still applicable anywhere, including cars and audio.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, despite measurements presented earlier, it’s actually a solid, great performing and sounding unit in our rig relative to many similar products at various price points. Its a keeper.
At 9,000 clams, I’d hope it’s a keeper.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Many much cheaper DACs show better measurement values than this DAC. But in practice, these will not sound better. In practice, this DAC is probably completely transparent and then it sounds so good as it can sound. But this is not a DAC in the crowd as it has a number of DSP functions. It does not make it unique, but it makes it one of quite unusual DAC as it is one of quite a few DACs that has that kind of functionality. I think that's worth a lot. But with that said, like many others here, I think it is unreasonably expensive. But it is not fair, I think to compare it with cheap DACs that cost below the 100 threshold.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The father of market economy
Who is the FATHER of market economy?
stated that pricing is not about cost of goods, but about perceived value. And that holds in any realm of our world, and clearly is still applicable anywhere, including cars and audio.
Well, yes, but therefore it is common to try to manipulate peoples or customers perceived value. There is an excess of manipulation in the HiFi market. Generally, HiFi products are constantly marketed with a lot of misleading and false information in order to manipulate consumers. I do not know what the market economy's father had to say more about the market, but within the economic main line you talk about market imperfections. This means, among other things, purchasing decisions that are based on incorrect information about the product.

ASR is exposed to a lot of aggressive attacks online. An important reason for this is partly that ASR challenges emotionally based purchase decisions, but also because ASR challenges the industry's marketing model. It's about money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom