• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD CS1 Network Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 73 46.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 75 47.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

eliash

Another late remark, when using the CS-1 to a larger extent, I found a bad bug:

Playing UPnP through Bubble (using the FFmpeg transcoder from Flac to wav), extensive metadata let´s the CS-1 crash, better say "go through reset" when starting a respective title.
- It looks to me like any Interpreter, Album or Title field with 32 characters or more causes this crash.

Whether this is caused by Bubble or the CS-1 ist not really clear to me, but the foobar UPnP renderer does not show this fault. The Bubble guys won´t follow up this one (as they informed me, very quickly - Thanks anyway!), since they think it is an NAD problem...

Meanwhile I got ChromeCast mode to work in the CS-1 as well, without crashing it with large metadata as described above, this by configuring Bubble AudioCast to wav transcoding, even runs 192K/24b files, but not gapless...

This UPnP area looks like a minefield to me meanwhile, interoperability seems to be an ongoing challenge...the foobar renderer being the most reliable in this context...

eliash

Fortunately the UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro for Android by eXtream Software Development) has UPnP (in addition to USB) integrated now as well.
Meanwhile nicely working beta SW with the NAD CS-1, thanks to "intensive care" by their developer - maintaining their high end replay capabilities through Android!

Last edited:

Chester

I got one of these cheap recently, it suits my needs as a Roon Endpoint.

Inconsistently, I get pops when switching sample rates, using toslink. In the past this could usually be solved through a Roon delay but it doesn’t seem to work this time. Also seems random rather than every sample rate switch.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea how to solve?

eliash

I got one of these cheap recently, it suits my needs as a Roon Endpoint.

Inconsistently, I get pops when switching sample rates, using toslink. In the past this could usually be solved through a Roon delay but it doesn’t seem to work this time. Also seems random rather than every sample rate switch.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea how to solve?
Could be that it depends on the DAC used.
My RME ADI-2 fs just makes a faint click when switching bitrates, also with USB/Toslink converters...

Top Bottom