• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My achilles tendon snapped today

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Message to self - no more badmimton

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Thanks all for your knowledge, sharing experiences and spirited cheers! You’ve all made my last couple of days so much better and lifted my mood several notches! This truly is a great site with great people.
Now I just need to figure out how to deal with my endorfin addiction. ...

/Take care all

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@LarsS - so sorry, man, and best of luck. But do it my way in the future - the only exercise I take is walking hospital corridors, visiting friends who have taken exercise.

As an older exerciser, I would find your post very annoying, except for the most annoying part: there's some truth to it. More than I want to admit. ;)

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@LarsS . I think you should consider yourself very lucky. Full Aquiles tendon ruptures are quite difficult to heal. Or it takes a lot of time. A full rupture of the tendon from the bone is a tough thing to repair and there is no palliative care. Surgery is the only way.
You should also feel very lucky that your surgeon preferred this treatment. I joke that orthopedic surgeons are highly paid carpenters. They want to fix everything with surgery.
The issue of full rupture is that the blood availability to the tendon against bone junction is very limited, so it is not well understood yet the process that produces healing. When I got my shoulder reconstruction, I spent a lot of time researching this issue and discussed this at length with the surgeon. He was also doing a lot of basic research in this area so he was enthusiastic to discuss this. Repair of muscle tears are well understood as is bone itself. Lots of blood in those areas bringing growth factors.
After the age of 40, recovery is slower for everything. So, be patient, take your time, and when allowed, do the proper exercises and therapy prescribed. Even years after my shoulder got fixed, I continue to do the exercises they gave me to remain strong and flexible. For the Aquiles, flexibility is key and you don't want another rupture. Even today, when I do full pull ups with arms wide, I can feel that my right shoulder is not as strong. It doesn't affect any of my activities, but I'm just aware of it.
Stay well!

Just for perspective, I am an avid (neurotic? addicted?) exercise enthusiast and keep track of this very extensively and intensely. My missus calls me a nut job addicted to adrenaline.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Thanks all for your knowledge, sharing experiences and spirited cheers! You’ve all made my last couple of days so much better and lifted my mood several notches! This truly is a great site with great people.

/Take care all
There is some very recent research suggesting that it is NOT endorphins that makes us high after exercise but endocanabinnoids.... Go figure!

/Take care all
My motto now after all the injuries is 'its doesnt matter how slow you go just dont stop' So im doing my first ultra in Sept :)

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Surgical repair, in the best hands, carries at least a 20% risk of MAJOR COMPLICATIONS (that are life altering) and can leave one permanently crippled. Conservative treatment has ZERO complications.
Sorry, that’s far way from truth.
Complications for surgical treatment are mainly wound dehiscence issues/infections, but the numbers are much lower than these. Even lower with M.I.S techniques like the Achillon or the PARS.

Complications with conservative treatment are higher rerupture rate and less power.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Life beginning to be good again, replaced morfin with this ...

1616173918543.jpeg

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

Mojo Warrior

Sorry, that’s far way from truth.
Complications for surgical treatment are mainly wound dehiscence issues/infections, but the numbers are much lower than these. Even lower with M.I.S techniques like the Achillon or the PARS.

Complications with conservative treatment are higher rerupture rate and less power.

Go and read the published medical research and talk to dozens of patients suffering from inappropriate surgical repair. Your opinion does not match reality. Your statement is wildly inaccurate. Surgeons operate because they can make much more money than placing a removeable cast. They care little for the complications they inflict. Such as inadvertent nerve damage causing permanent loss of foot sensation.

The surgical approach was invented by a Scottish surgeon around 1978. Prior to that everyone was successfully treated without surgery. Surgery should be reserved for those who fail conservative treatment, which is 4% in published studies. Surgical repair fails 2% of the time which, statistically is the same as 4% in the published studies. If your outcomes are different, send in your data for peer review.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

I made my decision to not operate in dialogue with the surgeon at Karolinska Sjukhuset. He informed me on all the pros & cons with both methods. He’s advice was to not operate and told me he would choose the same.
I very much trust advices from the surgeon, the hospital I went to Karolinska is rated #7 in the world according to Statista Inc & Newsweek and they also happen to elect the Nobel laureate in medicin (whatever that’s worth ... ;-) )
Right now I’m incredibly bored needing the ortos until May 12.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Go and read the published medical research
I will not discuss my profession with you, or with anyone else on an audio forum.
Of course I have read the research and the specific paper that you have in mind. I am also aware of its limitations, that you are not in a position to judge.

I can assure you that your views on the subject are far far away from truth.
I can also assure our friend @LarsS that since he has been informed about the pros and cons properly, he took the right decision for him.

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Enjoying music & Brooklyn Lager, now more or less painfree. One of my favourite Danish jazz singers.
Note to all: Avoid explosive sports such as Badminton, Padel & Basket ... ;-)
/Take care

1616777718371.jpeg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Enjoying music & Brooklyn Lager, now more or less painfree. One of my favourite Danish jazz singers.
Note to all: Avoid explosive sports such as Badminton, Padel & Basket ... ;-)
/Take care

View attachment 120474
Sitting down, drinking beer and listening to music has kept me alive so far, don't know how to sucker in the placebo control group is doing.

I used to play badminton to a good standard, amazed I didn't mess my self up more, only thing I did was to my feet, probably from arriving late to the net and needing to change direction instantly.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Pain free, great! But, how many of those lagers have you had?

Glad you're improving!

Top Bottom