• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The best unexpected customer service experience for 2023

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I’ve bought Pro’s Kit products since the early 90s, when I first came across their small, relatively inexpensive hand tools, project cases and various service related items at my local electronics store.

In 2023, they now have a massive 4000 products in 22 categories of tools, soldering, test, etc.

Recently, I bought several of their stainless needle/flat/bent-nose mini pliers & cutters for general bench work. This series:
pliers.JPG

Unfortunately, one of the ‘polyoxymethylene’ springs snapped rendering one pair of pliers ‘non-return’. So, I sent them an email, showing a picture of the broken pliers and asking if I could buy/obtain a replacement plastic spring. I expected no reply, but gave it a shot.

What I got was a reply in about 12hrs from Taiwan, from ‘Louise’ saying she’d discussed it and could provide me with several hinges if I sent my address and details! That was on the 1st of November. Look at the postmark- she sent it the next day.

Imagine my surprise to get this on my front doorstep, in Queensland Australia, today, the 8th of November:
IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

Spare parts sent to me, direct from the manufacturer, for free (10 hinges), by express EMS from Taiwan- all for a pair of pliers.

Far too many times we hear of bad or non-existent customer experiences, lack of parts and service. This is an example of the total polar opposite. :)

What exemplary examples do you guys have from 2023? Let’s name companies or individuals for their excellent service. Right now, Pro’s Kit is at the top of my leader board. Who’s on yours?

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Norcal

I had a similar experience with the Kohler plumbing company a few years back. They happily sent me some small parts for free for a faucet that was WAY past warranty. It generates goodwill, and in many cases turns an 'on-the-fence' customer into a loyal customer. I didn't expect that from such a big company.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is little things like this that creates a loyal customer base. One example I like to use is Bryston, 20 year warranty, and more times than not, they will repair your product for free even after 20 years, they have some of the loyalist customer base. Simple business 101.

Take note manufacturers!

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great example, and thanks for sharing, and the kudos to that company and person.
I've had similar amazing response recently from Litter Robot (also a somewhat local company)...now on my third (and I think final, no issues anymore) replacement product (complete replacement, shipped fedex, no returns required!).

When I ran technical service for a start up (eventually) mid sized electronics company (field service, parts, tech support and repair scheduling), I insisted on jumping on small, (mostly) easy to fulfill, and low-shipping-cost items opportunties like that. (For bigger gigs, even shipping wasn't a concern - had my own fedex account.)

I also established a 5 minute 'call back' response time for emergency calls (pagers, then). (Mostly Me, but later not so much.)

I saw all of these little items (many requests/problems coming from students learning the gear) as ways of 'leaning' the future towards our products.
Since our competitors rarely - if ever - bothered to respond to a emergency call, I even offered (unoffically) to try solving problems with other mfgrs gear (at least once this saved a pretty big gig) - think that made an impression up the chain of command?
Dealer and distributors loved it, and trade show attendees gave me a huge standing ovation during a seminar on cust. service (I wasn't allowed to attend, so the customers yelled at the president of my company instead.

So the company grew and grew and grew, and nearly obliterated all it's significant competition.
Then, they 'rewarded' me for my 10 years of startup loyalty and brand building: they fired me.
(I noticed recently that someone there is still bragging about their "15 minute'' response time to emergency call outs.)

Oh well. Was fun while it lasted. I guess I could have ended up running a factory in china....had I stayed on that path and suceeded.

And proved my 'theory' that Outstanding customer service can be a profit center (the good will we earned also turned into acceptance of higher than normal profits on parts).
I wish to hell Tesla would get someone in as dedicated as I was to Fixing Service, and knocking Elon's head into understanding that - really the only major issue I have with the company.

Customer Service and Technical Support are almost always operations that live - by hook or by crook - near the very tail end of the corporate animal, and we all know how 'stinky' it can get back there.
Normally unbelievably thankless jobs, with little but 'supervisory scorn' for jobs well done and customers 'bought in' - with bosses who can only think - or care - about their own promotion paths, and how to 'spin' things...but so many of those staffers really try hard to please their customers, in spite of it all.

I argued endlessly with 'engineering' for more rapid upgrade cycles (a pcb rev took over a year to approve and get into production)....I guess "Just in Time Engineering' wasn't well thought of over there! :cool:

Good for them!!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
That's great!!! Usually we expect poor service. And I understand... If customer service spends 15 minutes with a customer they've probably already lost money (of course, depending on the value of the sale).

With software, customer support is my last resort.

I expect things to get worse as AI takes over the world...

I, like most people, am more likely to complain about poor service than praise good service (although I aways say "thank you" when there is a human).

And with everybody wanting you to fill-out a survey, I only respond if I have a HUGE complaint.

Oh, I once went to a lumber yard to by a short length of 4x4, and I wanted it cut to length because I didn't have a power saw that could cut through 4-inches and I wanted a clean perfectly square cut. The guy pulled a piece out of scrap pile, cut it, and gave it to me FREE! They had a customer for life... Until they sadly went out of business.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
I had a very good experience with MediaLight when I purchased one of their bias lighting kits. One of the strings had some LEDs that were out, so I emailed a pic to them and they sent me a whole new kit that arrived via overnight. Highly recommended, would buy again (already have).

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
there's still a few rare sellers that go above & beyond for their customers

had one, not this one but last year, that i tried buying something for black friday when the next day a mail came that unfortnately the article was already sold out but that they did manage to re-order it and offered me the same lowered price
and for that, i'm still gratefull to Bob from www.stassen-hifi.de / www.stassen.nl who dealt with it

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the best experience with Salomon. I buy the Salomon shoes because they fit me like they where designed for me and they generally cost about $200+ for a pair of shoes. A 2 year warranty and I've had several warranty claims with Salomon for things like squeaking heels, pinholes in the soles letting water in and not much else but they keep replacing them under warranty and if the model of shoe is depleted then they always offer me several different shoes to choose from and they are always the better models that are in style. I've put in warranty claims where the shoe is within the 2 year warranty and the soles are worn and they always replace them. I've maybe bought 20 pair of Salomon shoes because of this and as a bonus the shoelaces never have frayed, worn or broken ever. Salomon has the best shoelaces going I think.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
O and... my new Samsung Galaxy S23 cel tel and Samsung wireless EarBuds2Pro earbuds experience. My ears buds stopped working in one channel and so I started a warranty claim. Samsung sent me a prepaid shipping label and I dropped it off at the post office and sent it out. 5 working days later I received new ear buds via prepaid shipping. Not a dime was spent sending those ear buds around the country and Samsung was very nice to deal with. I can't say enough good things about how that was handled.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I had a similar experience with a custom keyboard with mechanical switches from Keychron. As I was pulling the keycaps off the switches, one of the switch stems stuck to the keycap and pulled right out of the switch. Oops. I sent the company an email and a few days later I received a little box containing 5 new switches. No questions asked, just immediate service.

Years ago after returning home from scuba diving after rinsing my equipment with fresh water I left the gear on the driveway to air dry, and like an idiot I backed up my car and ran over the regulator. This was before the internet so I sent a letter to Scubapro saying it was my own fault asking how to purchase a replacement. Their reply was a brand new regulator in a box.

I've had similar service from Lightspeed, who makes the headsets I use in my airplane.

hex168

I had a similar experience with the Kohler plumbing company a few years back. They happily sent me some small parts for free for a faucet that was WAY past warranty. It generates goodwill, and in many cases turns an 'on-the-fence' customer into a loyal customer. I didn't expect that from such a big company.
Second on Kohler. Similar experience.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I grabbed a BluRay movie from the grocery store Redbox kiosk a few weeks back.
While loading my grocery's in the back of my pickup, I remember setting the disk
on the beds tonneau cover and then when I got home, NO movie.
I started doing a search online over lost Redbox movies and the only answer I found was

"be prepared to pay about $50 for the DVD you lost, or $72 for a lost Blu-Ray (25 days @ $1.50 + $34.50)."

Crap, but I did find a customer service phone number and talked to a nice perfect English speaking
man. I told him my story and he said "no problem sir, I'll take care of it".
Shortly after I got the usual email from them thanking me for returning the disk and my card being
charged $2.15 for a one night rental inc tax.
Nice people at Redbox.

thecheapseats

...What exemplary examples do you guys have from 2023? Let’s name companies or individuals for their excellent service. Right now, Pro’s Kit is at the top of my leader board. Who’s on yours?...
a manufacturer with skin in the game who does the right thing to build their reputation - good on them... wish I had a good mfg support story to contribute for 2023 - or even 2022 or 2021... slim pickings in the last few years, unfortunately...

thecheapseats

I will make a note of the ProKit company - the next time I need to buy/replace bench hand tools... see how that works?...

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Taylor Made Golf. Bought some custom irons on their website and they took my old ones as trade in. I got the new ones, but the trade in return label got screwed up, and the clubs went into the ether. Support guy stepped up, tracked em down, trade in credit issued, case closed. Nice!
(plus the new 5 iron rocks!)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's good to see threads like this on occasion.
We all know it's human nature to gripe like hell about any perceived slight.
But rarely do you read kodo's going out for good deads.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
So the other side of this is that I ordered some furniture from well known home furnishings company. They didn't fully deliver, Made many calls-no dice. I'm a patient man, but after a year of being jerked around, I sued them. Got their attention. Immediately got resolved. Made me happy I went to law school.

Top Bottom