• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My achilles tendon snapped today

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So at hospital (ER) right now. Snapped my achilles tendon while playing badminton with my son.
Waiting to be examined, any med doctors here that can advice on what to ask doctors?
Sorry to hear it, but you're gonna need a better story for how you snapped it. My suggestion: You were running down a purse snatcher in downtown Stockholm, and just as you collared him, you heard the thing snap. ;)

My prescription in addition to elevating it is take two gummies every six hours.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I tore mine long time ago too, on a mogul slope... Also did not have to operate... Fully recovered in three seasons. :)

xxx.jpg

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All I can say is that I hope you're better at it than I was. In two of the three accidents I was carted away by ambulance, and the paramedics on both trips told me stories about other crashed cyclists they had rescued, and how much worse off some of them were than me. I should have quit after the concussion many years ago, but there was apparently more brain damage than I was aware of, and I stupidly kept cycling anyway. :mad:

And then there's motorcycles, for those with a real death wish.
Whoa! I ride a motorcycle- we don't all have a death wish... it just looks that way to non- riders.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been contacted today by a medical research project at Karolinska Institute. Project is called ”Stop Leg Clots”. Seems as many with my injury may suffer from Leg Clots during healing with plaster or the special boot I’m having (~25%).
I’ve been offered to have a new type of boot which is connected to a pneumatic pump. This way the leg is massaged a few times every day. Hypothesis is that this will prevent leg clots & speed up healing.
What you all think, need to answer by tomorrow. Check out the video (in Swedish) in link below, scroll down a bit on the page.

https://ki.se/mmk/information-till-patienter-slc
They put something similar on most everyone in the hospital here in the US to prevent clots.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you suffer a complete tear? Where along the tendon did it tear?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw this- I'll add my sympathy.

Clots are nothing to fool around with. They nearly killed me a few years back. Maybe ask your doc about Xarelto or Eliquis?

It's scary how many people here, in a small random group, have had blood clot problems. LarsS, prevention is a good thing.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I tore deltoid ligament like 95% wrestling in high school and it healed fine on its own but took forever.

I tore my bicept 100% a couple years ago in another violent encounter, and after surgery, seems fine, but I would be careful to power lift or something. I had physical therapy but it was actually enjoyable, and recovery not too long.

My only advice is don't worry too much and don't get addicted to drugs. Opiates are the devil.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My prescription in addition to elevating it is take two gummies every six hours.
Met a guy tonight at the cannabis store and he was telling me he buys 15 tablets of THC/CBD or something like that @~$10 for leg pain and he said it works wonders. Myself for ACL issues I used to slam tylenol and advil in large quantities and 60 mg codeine T4's if I had them from asthma respiratory cough suppression prescriptions I get in the winter months. Enough codeine in 3 to 4 T4's and voila a person can get some shut eye for awhile and forget the pains of life atm.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tore deltoid ligament like 95% wrestling in high school and it healed fine on its own but took forever.

I tore my bicept 100% a couple years ago in another violent encounter, and after surgery, seems fine, but I would be careful to power lift or something. I had physical therapy but it was actually enjoyable, and recovery not too long.

My only advice is don't worry too much and don't get addicted to drugs. Opiates are the devil.

Commenting a bit on a thoughtful post.

I am not a medical doctor. I do know however that recovery from traumas is dependent on a large number of variables: from genes, traning, diet to the quality of the care ... So difficult to forecast.

The advice about a good mental disposition is important. The most important aspect is to heal, entirely; attenuation of pains should not come at the expense of your health deteriorating which then, shall result in ...more pains ... The Hippocratic oath is often forgotten/sidestepped by some medical practitioners. As the patient and the person that should be most concerned about his/her health, ask questions and be informed. Make sure of not developing addiction to pain medications .. it is a slippery slope from there to chronic illness.

Peace and speedy complete and real recovery!

Mojo Warrior

No operation. Had a meeting with surgeon today & his strong advice was to not operate. It’ll heal faster and risks are much lower according to him. Some recent studies has compared the two methods and the final result is more or less the same. He would never have an operation himself if he had this problem.
I’ll report back in March 2022 on the outcome ... ;-)

Relax. You have an honest, competent and knowledgeable doctor. You are receiving conservative therapy (meaning less risk but a good outcome) by placing you in a removable cast. Generally, you should wear that for three months, which is the exact same amount of time if you had surgery. The success rate of surgical vs conservative treatment is IDENTICAL as documented in the published medical research..

Surgical repair, in the best hands, carries at least a 20% risk of MAJOR COMPLICATIONS (that are life altering) and can leave one permanently crippled. Conservative treatment has ZERO complications. Either way you will have some permanent atrophy of the calf muscles.

To enhance the healing of your Achilles Tendon I would recommend taking as much generic Vitamin C with meals that your bowels can tolerate, i.e. not inducing diarrhea. The Achilles Tendon is 97% collagen. Your body cannot make collagen without Vitamin C.

I had an Achilles Tendon rupture 10 years ago playing tennis and I am a physician. So, naturally I researched this extensively. I cannot tell by the photo you posted but the ankle should not be at 90 degrees but rather the toes should be pointed downward (in equinus that is like a horse). This position allows the ends of the tendon to come together otherwise if they are too far apart they cannot heal.

I would avoid any surgeon who advocates a primary surgical repair.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Regarding badminton, I hurt my wrist playing badminton with my daughter....A year later today, my wrist still making snapping noise when turning my arm....

Wish you the best recovery!

Top Bottom