• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My achilles tendon snapped today

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
8 weeks with this, Thx @KSTR for advice on insisting to have this great looking shoe :)

View attachment 118661

That's sexy...

I hope it came filled with pain pills!

Glad you are home recovering, and hope you aren't terribly uncomfortable.

Thoughts also with those who have to deal with your broken ass. Injuries like that are a family affair for sure.

mr.k

No operation, just cuff ?

My snapped 10 years ago, also badminton. When arrived in the emergency room, doctor looked at me and said : "badminton or basketball?"
These two sports are achilles tendon killers for "weekend warriors", as middle-aged-men-who-occasionally-do-sports are obviously called :)

Interesting, my friend's snapped two weeks later, also badminton. But, my tear was worse, it was higher, near to the calf. His was lower, near the ankle.

In both cases, doctors said operation was better solution than just cuff and waiting to heal by itself.

But, for my tear, they needed to cut leg open to connected it back together. For my friend, they did it laparascopic.
He was much, much more faster back on track.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Oh Lars thats nasty ! , no operation?

A certain someone with have to fetch you beers now , its only right ..

Iv had Achilles issues just about all my life, do the rehabilitation, take it seriously and do what your told. Its not something you want niggling you for the rest of your life .

Good luck buddy ..

OP
D

Deleted member 65

No operation. Had a meeting with surgeon today & his strong advice was to not operate. It’ll heal faster and risks are much lower according to him. Some recent studies has compared the two methods and the final result is more or less the same. He would never have an operation himself if he had this problem.
I’ll report back in March 2022 on the outcome ... ;-)

Grumple

Forum Donor
Really sorry to hear that. I'm suffering something similar unfortunately. Ripped apart my LCL, which was only repaired 3 years ago (along with ACL). I never imagined falling over in my mid 30s would be so consequential.

Lycka till.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have just started cycling last 2 years :D

All I can say is that I hope you're better at it than I was. In two of the three accidents I was carted away by ambulance, and the paramedics on both trips told me stories about other crashed cyclists they had rescued, and how much worse off some of them were than me. I should have quit after the concussion many years ago, but there was apparently more brain damage than I was aware of, and I stupidly kept cycling anyway. :mad:

And then there's motorcycles, for those with a real death wish.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wow, I am sorry to rad this, Lars. Hope you recover fully and quickly!

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Been contacted today by a medical research project at Karolinska Institute. Project is called ”Stop Leg Clots”. Seems as many with my injury may suffer from Leg Clots during healing with plaster or the special boot I’m having (~25%).
I’ve been offered to have a new type of boot which is connected to a pneumatic pump. This way the leg is massaged a few times every day. Hypothesis is that this will prevent leg clots & speed up healing.
What you all think, need to answer by tomorrow. Check out the video (in Swedish) in link below, scroll down a bit on the page.

https://ki.se/mmk/information-till-patienter-slc

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My wife had a leg clot that led to a pulmonary embolism (clot broke loose and went to the lung) that could well have been fatal. It was a very scary few days... She now wears compression stockings (as well as being on blood thinner). In the hospital I have many, many times seen similar devices to massage and stimulate blood flow (my wife, my grandfather and father after a fall, friends, etc.) I would give it a try.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Been contacted today by a medical research project at Karolinska Institute. Project is called ”Stop Leg Clots”. Seems as many with my injury may suffer from Leg Clots during healing with plaster or the special boot I’m having (~25%).
I’ve been offered to have a new type of boot which is connected to a pneumatic pump. This way the leg is massaged a few times every day. Hypothesis is that this will prevent leg clots & speed up healing.
What you all think, need to answer by tomorrow. Check out the video (in Swedish) in link below, scroll down a bit on the page.

Have you been prescribed with LMW heparin?

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
No, the med dr that contacted spoke about it and apparantly does not prevent leg clots during the process I’m into.
Hmmmmm....
Get the pump

GD Fan

Forum Donor

That seems pretty sensible, especially considering the 25% clotting risk. Are there any potential downsides to giving it a try?

ctakim

Forum Donor
So at hospital (ER) right now. Snapped my achilles tendon while playing badminton with my son.
Waiting to be examined, any med doctors here that can advice on what to ask doctors?
You can ask whether a sum of relative noise and distortion level of 120 vs 88 is truly audible?

Seriously, very sorry to hear about your mishap. I'm a physician but not in a field that you would want my advice on (I'm a medical oncologist). Looks like you will have plenty of time to enjoy your sound system sitting in the sweet spot. Hoping for your speedy recovery.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I had clots in my right arm. It felt like my arm was broken with a dull throbbing ache. There was the additional dangers of clots but I never had any complications other than the aching in the arm. With your injury additional pain would be unacceptable.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

8 weeks with this, Thx @KSTR for advice on insisting to have this great looking shoe :)
Wish you good healing and a sure return to your pre-injury state.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
I did mine aged 35 playing rugby, complete tear , had op and physio , make sure you follow physio regime to try and reduce the repairing tendon to be as supple as possible. But after 12 months out play rugby until 51. Dislocated shoulder at 40 and finally at 51 snapped left bicep tendon so called it a day .Good luck
I managed to get back to rugby after serious reconstruction of right shoulder. At 55 concuss forced me to stop. I refereed for a few years after.

EZ Meno

25% clot risk? That is high! I've never heard Achilles injuries have such a high clot risk. I busted my knee pretty badly last year in a ski accident and the Dr prescribed Fragmin to prevent clotting after surgery for 10 days. It's a self administered injection.
Lycka till!

Top Bottom