• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A moment of appreciation for low budget systems in 2023...

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We like to discuss the highest fidelity stuff and top sinad values etc... but we don't always have access to our audio shrines, right?

I have to say, the quality and immersion you can achieve these days with very simple stuff is mind-blowing.

I am away from home as we speak (much to my cat's relief), and as I sit here listening to Bill Evans on Spotify via Bluetooth and humble Soundcore Q20+ I snap out of it and think how amazing the sound of such a simple setup is, value considerations be d*mned really. It's very good stuff. And we have become very spoiled given what is readily available at low cost points... and shouldn't disagree so fundamentally on topics that probably just enhance the music listening experience rather marginally, all in all.

Happy Friday, gang.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree. My phone and earbuds give me an auditory experience that would have amazed me when I was young and had a full frequency response. And a world of music on tap for nearly free.

I'm a lousy audiophile though because I'm inclined to "listen through" the sound; unless the audio imperfections are annoying I quickly tune them out to enjoy the music. So I've long been a fan of competent low budget components.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Foobar on Android smartphone-> bluetooth -> Sennheiser HD 450BT.
Not High-, but Fidelity (even without EQ).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 Truthear Zeros with Pro-Ject Pre and very light EQ.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got some stocking stuffers for my nieces and nephew.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
When I'm travelling or on holiday, I never listen to music. Unless I'm going to a concert or visiting audio friends. Although the latter hardly ever happens since a while. I'm just writing this as an example of various habits.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The core of my system is very cheap, but still high performance. The only part where I don't know the measurements is the Yamaha AVR, a pre-HDMI model. The only spec I've found is 100 watts a side into two channels. Other than that, there's a sub that goes down to 30 hz, a DAC that has a SINAD of 112, a preamp/headphone amp with a SINAD of 120 and speakers that are mostly flat in the midrange and go down to 60 hz, easily. I've got a Sony SACD capable DVD player that set me back all of $8, the remote was $10. And I didn't spend much on interconnect or speaker wire, so the whole shebang cost in the neighborhood of $400. I might get better performance for more money, but I'm pretty sure my listening space is the greater limitation compared to the gear.

RDoc

For high performance but inexpensive systems, as always, the speakers are the limiting factor IMHO. My current favorites are the JBL 308's, especially as they are very often on sale or "open box". That plus a Wiim, reference mic, REW and some messing around could result in a very impressive system indeed for around $500.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I agree. My phone and earbuds give me an auditory experience that would have amazed me when I was young and had a full frequency response. And a world of music on tap for nearly free.

I'm a lousy audiophile though because I'm inclined to "listen through" the sound; unless the audio imperfections are annoying I quickly tune them out to enjoy the music. So I've long been a fan of competent low budget components.
I have great memories of my Sony Walkman and now enjoy Apple Music on AirPod Pro 2!

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 23

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
In the early 1970's a conglomerate called Teledyne Packard Bell decided to sell solid-state stereo receivers and a $349 60wpc model received a favorable review in Stereo Review from Dr. Julian Hirsch. Radio Shack offered the same with a Realistic badge and eventually got me to bite with a sale at $290 in 1975.

Today, I can listen to my phone with a $9 Apple dongle and a performant earphone (7Hz Salnotes Zero) for currently another $20.99 - after coupon

nice

Robin L

Master Contributor
For high performance but inexpensive systems, as always, the speakers are the limiting factor IMHO. My current favorites are the JBL 308's, especially as they are very often on sale or "open box". That plus a Wiim, reference mic, REW and some messing around could result in a very impressive system indeed for around $500.
I managed to find a pair of Infinity Primus 250s for $30, used. Dumb luck, but that's what I'm listening to now. Also got the Infinity Primus 360s at the same time, $40. My son in law is using them now. I recommend both of them, though of course they have been discontinued.

DonR

Major Contributor
When I'm travelling or on holiday, I never listen to music. Unless I'm going to a concert or visiting audio friends. Although the latter hardly ever happens since a while. I'm just writing this as an example of various habits.
I do the same. When on holiday, I concentrate on being "present in the moment."

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I do the same. When on holiday, I concentrate on being "present in the moment."
That's nice. I didn't think there were others who felt the same way. :)

In general, I enjoy the peace and quiet and am also very glad that we live in a quiet house with a very low noise level in the environment. Against this background, I can listen to music particularly well and undisturbed.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just read today's review of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero and behold what 20 USD achieves nowadays.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I got a little SMSL SA36 Pro amp that costed 50€ when i bought it years ago, that is doing a good job. I use it as spare amp/mobile amp, and used it on a lot of speakers already. It's not the lowest SINAD or so and is not that powerfull, but never disturbs but for critical listening. I used it for little trips to outhouses (with my diy bookshelfs, a laptop with music and an old steinberg interface) and it did a good job of giving me music there in the morning or evening (during the day i'm outside).

Descartes

Major Contributor
I bought myself a pair of JBL 308s for Christmas and hooked them up to the Wiim and DAC I bought last year.

The sound is amazing. Listening to some ultra HD classical and some jazz literally made me cry.
No need to spend times of money for good sound! Congratulations

Top Bottom