• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope this in NOT in reference to my use of the word "men" but my question mark after it makes me innocent.
This is absolutely not referenced by my reply, that meant respect the individual need to cope with an emerged situation and aspecting what's coming next.
After process has settled discussion may be open.
This is my personal view on the scene.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The "tough hombre" most of us are not but old white men (without "), and giving some introspection way we could sense and accept it.

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
so, panicking, I eventually went there. Though I just had to wait first, I underwent a complete examination, of which the results, after several hours, ruled out a heart atack.

Good for you for going in, and so glad it wasn't anything major (I assume)! Thank you for the well wishes, and I hope for a full recover as well! So far so good.

That could depend on how much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee and https://www.voedingscentrum.nl/encyclopedie/koffie.aspx#blokis-koffie-gezond? Well, dutch:), but organization is 100% subsidized by our goverment, with information based on scientific consensus. It looks like coffee is good for the heart, among other things.

Again, good health!

I had been pounding about 6-7 cups a day, so for now I'm down to a couple. Better to ramp things back up slowly I'm thinking. ;)

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I can't believe I've spent so much time here this week and just seen this thread on your issues.
I feel bad about not saying anything here much sooner.

@Sal1950 I appreciate that, but this is a busy place! Don't even think about it again...

That majorly sucks but very glad you've pulled thru the first part of your event well, your full recovery and good results
of the future procedures will be in my prayers.
I didn't see anything said here and I'm curious if you've monitored your cholesterol levels or had been taking any control
meds? I've been on that road for over 35 years now, with my total cholesterol level found to be over 350 back in 1990 !

Thank you, and I'll take it! I have had my cholesterol numbers given to me before, but haven't been meaningfully tracking them. Both numbers tend to be higher than 'normal,' but the ratio has been considered ok, so that's all part of what we are digging into. It's something like 160-60, so total is over 200, but 'good' cholesterol is also highish, so...nothing crazy, but not normal. I'm now taking a cholesterol lowering drug and we'll obviously be tracking it going forward. Over 350?! Glad you are still with us too!

My family history on both sides is a cardiovascular horror story with cancers being almost unheard of, but most members dying of heart attacks or strokes between 65 and 75. :( I'm getting very nervous.
I went in for a Echocardiogram 5 last Monday which thankfully came out OK and and I'm scheduled for another stress test next month, I do get EKGs fairly regularly.
This getting old schitt isn't for the squeamish.
Again, your in my thoughts and prayers.

Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself, and you are in agreement with my grandmother, who when she was 93 made sure to tell me that 'growing old is not for sissies!'
My family has very little history of Heart Disease, with my Mother's grandparents both dying of a Heart Attack relatively young, but that would have been in the 50's. Nothing since. Been a bit of a surprise in that context, so we are all (both of my brothers and me) more tuned in than we had been.

Thanks again Sal, much appreciated.

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Wasn't it Devo who had asked "Are we not men?" Most ASR members would prefer replying with "We are the objective kind!":rolleyes:
… which brings me to a personally serious question for @BDWoody:
How has this eight day old, and unplanned trip [ummm...] - in an ambulance - transformed your [internal] life-equation?
I am not asking about the crapola/ditties like eating better, or exercising, or listening to the doctors, etc.
More like: Have you made yourself some resolutions to make more time for music, or spend more money on hardware, or updating your bucket list, etc…?

I notice subtle changes after my mate's unplanned AFIB and really should ask her but she be not as objective as you is! ;)

Interesting question! Getting down to the deeper meaning stuff...I had to wait until I got in front of a keyboard for this one, although now that I'm here there isn't a lot to tell. I don't think I've had any kind of transformation of thought, although it has certainly focused my attention on my health in a way I've never needed to before. I was an athletic kid then adult, in an athletic family who just took all that for granted. As @Salt mentioned, right now I've got that open heart surgery to prepare for so it's much more task oriented than psyche oriented, but there is most certainly an underlying sense of appreciation for all things 'life.'

Was the change in your mate after her AFIB a gradual thing over time, or was she just different afterwards?

OP
BDWoody

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not yet right place for this, as there are some kind of intervention planned in near future what will subjectively be in focus predominantly at this time.
After that this may be object for discussions.
I am more inclined to think of @BDWoody as the tough hombre kind and I highly doubt he is the type to sit there and lick his ... wounds.
If I am wrong, I most definitely apologize in advance!:(

I appreciate the reminder of what I'm heading into, but I also hope that no one feels as though they can't ask whatever questions they may have. Part of getting into all of this in the first place is to open dialog, and I'm not really sensitive or squeamish about it so if there are questions to be asked go ahead and ask them! Trying to keep my ego out of the way, and if anything is of help to anyone that's good enough for me. ;)

andrew

@BDWoody
It’s great that you reacted to get the situation under control and all the best for the recovery. I was short of breath walking home a while ago and a visit to the GP turned into a triple bypass! It was a bit daunting but we’re all in good hands as it’s a tried and tested procedure. If possible, the just make sure that you’ve got some support for the recovery and take the time to do the rehab. Happy to chat if that helps.

Rõlnnbacke

Good for you for going in, and so glad it wasn't anything major (I assume)! Thank you for the well wishes, and I hope for a full recover as well! So far so good.

I had been pounding about 6-7 cups a day, so for now I'm down to a couple. Better to ramp things back up slowly I'm thinking. ;)
Thank you, it was probably heartburn - esophagus hypersensivity. They prescribed omeprazol for a while, the symptoms decreased and now I'm fine.

Hope you can find an 'optimal amount of coffee', filtered(?)-(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafestol) and black, of course:)

Top Bottom