• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A moment of appreciation for low budget systems in 2023...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a set of JBL Control Xs I got for $90 on eBay hooked up to a WiiM mini and Fosi V3 in the back yard. No bass to speak of but the clarity coming out of those things is actually really something. The whole setup for less than $250, and goes more than loud enough for a backyard BBQ / party. And it's waterproof.

Things have really gotten pretty good in the audio world, from top to bottom!

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love how the pro-audio world shifted over to Class D and sold off all of their old Class A/B. Picked up four Crown Macro-Tech 1200s for less than £50 each a couple of years back. Excellent amps and very expensive when new. The ones I got had been in a flight case, so looked like new.
Similar with my Tannoy V12s. Designed for use with subs and better than most of the audiophile/hifi models (for this reason!). Ok, the black birch ply cabinets aren't as pretty as some of the glossy furniture grade hifi stuff, but they are seriously well built/braced with excellent drivers and crossovers... so I'll take them any day at the price. (Got to be careful with the tweets, but I don't put hundreds of Watts through them....)
My other favourite modern audio value items are Foobar2000 and MathAudio RoomEQ. Both of them free and as good as any paid option IMHO.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Another Elac DBR62 victim here (for little less then 400 euro). I am happy with them and their sound is easy on my ears, especially since the room they are placed is non-treated, non-symmetrical, and with the little monsters running around all day, it's a miracle no one hasn't kicked or punched them yet.

Barrelhouse Solly

My desktop system is a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers ($70 at Fry's a few years ago.) an Ayima A07 ($70,) SMSL SU-1 ($70,) and a CSW 10" subwoofer I got as part of my first 5.1 system a little over 20 years ago. In the '60s, adjusted for inflation, I couldn't imagine a system that sounds this good at this price.

benanders

I do the same. When on holiday, I concentrate on being "present in the moment."

x3, although it usually works out that someone else plays through their system(s) in my traveling visits. That’s been educating, to inadvertently keep up with modern convenience-software, portable systems, etc. that I otherwise can’t be “bothered” with.
Charmed lives are those which blissfully enjoy budget music today!

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agree. However I do like to take a wee Xduoo X2S DAP and a pair of Truthear Zero Red IEMs on holiday for enjoying with beverages in the sun... Great combo and only about £100 all in. Awesome value, I reckon.

Blessed be the gods of quality budget Hi-Fi!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom