• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Even regular streaming shows have this big drop off.
Somewhat understandable though not justifiable, streamers using DD+ to save bandwidth.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
1) Highest SINAD of any 16 ch processor tested here, esp. at the lower voltages. Marantz AV10 is rated higher SINAD but no PEQ or DLBC yet and not tested here yet.

2) Stable firmware at this point, where the system is pretty reliable. HDMI CEC is not as consistent as others from Denon/Marantz. The deal breaking bugs about 15-bits of dynamic range have been corrected.

3) September 2023 update is
“We've run a calibration with ART and are currently debugging and making adjustments based on that.”

It’s unclear if the HTP-1 will get the same level of ART as StormAudio or not. At least right now, it’s

4) Short of Trinnov/StormAudio, which have arbitrary speaker channel assignment, pretty much the gold standard.

5) No 8K switching

6) Inconsistent availability
Still some bugs I think. I've had mine for 2 weeks and I already had to reboot it. When I was entering its IP address on my HTPC (or any other device) it was unable to connect to the HTP. I still cannot connect with my Ipad. Also when swithing back & forth from native to any upmixer. It sounds like grinding gears for a few seconds. Yesterday when switching from Auro to native the sound kept grinding and wouldn't stop until I restarted the track in ROON. Any thoughts? Sad to think I may have to have it replaced/repaired after only 2 weeks.

Beast76

Still some bugs I think. I've had mine for 2 weeks and I already had to reboot it. When I was entering its IP address on my HTPC (or any other device) it was unable to connect to the HTP. I still cannot connect with my Ipad. Also when swithing back & forth from native to any upmixer. It sounds like grinding gears for a few seconds. Yesterday when switching from Auro to native the sound kept grinding and wouldn't stop until I restarted the track in ROON. Any thoughts? Sad to think I may have to have it replaced/repaired after only 2 weeks.
Have you tried any alternate setting on your “inputs” screen? If you toggle on advanced settings you can adjust “PCM Detect Sensitivity” which might be able to reduce the chance of this? From my understanding, it handles how long sound is muted for when the signal is received on the channel. Can you cause the behavior repeatedly? If so - that would be a great bug to send in if the PCM detect sensitivity doesn’t fix it.
I haven’t personally ever experienced it, but I typically do not use native. I’m normally on direct or an upmixer.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s so weird. I have not that the connectivity issue before, although once, my router seemed to assign a IPv6 instead of IPv4. Never heard the grinding gears!

It might actually be broken although you could try a power cycle to see if that helps by physically turning off the switch in the back for 30 seconds and restarting.

Also should double check that the firmware shows the June 2023 update. I got mine recently but it didn’t have the latest firmware.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
That’s so weird. I have not that the connectivity issue before, although once, my router seemed to assign a IPv6 instead of IPv4. Never heard the grinding gears!

It might actually be broken although you could try a power cycle to see if that helps by physically turning off the switch in the back for 30 seconds and restarting.

Also should double check that the firmware shows the June 2023 update. I got mine recently but it didn’t have the latest firmware.
I called tech support. They had me unplug the unit to reset it. I was then able to connect through an Android phone or any PC in my house, but I still cannot connect via IPAD. My firmware is 1.10 (the latest update.) Also I'll try the bias setting, thanks to Beast76. Thanks GXAlan too.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I called tech support. They had me unplug the unit to reset it. I was then able to connect through an Android phone or any PC in my house, but I still cannot connect via IPAD. My firmware is 1.10 (the latest update.) Also I'll try the bias setting, thanks to Beast76. Thanks GXAlan too.
That’s so weird. Works with my iOS devices well.

Do You have any unusual firewall or router or iOS Safari settings?
The interface uses HTML5/Websocket. Are you using https:// or http:// to access your HTP-1?

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Have you tried any alternate setting on your “inputs” screen? If you toggle on advanced settings you can adjust “PCM Detect Sensitivity” which might be able to reduce the chance of this? From my understanding, it handles how long sound is muted for when the signal is received on the channel. Can you cause the behavior repeatedly? If so - that would be a great bug to send in if the PCM detect sensitivity doesn’t fix it.
I haven’t personally ever experienced it, but I typically do not use native. I’m normally on direct or an upmixer.
Yes at your suggestion. Switched to biased and still doing the same thing. No change at all. Thanks

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
That’s so weird. Works with my iOS devices well.

Do You have any unusual firewall or router or iOS Safari settings?
The interface uses HTML5/Websocket. Are you using https:// or http:// to access your HTP-1?
I finally got it on my IPAD, thanks.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Yes I can repeat it just by switching to/from any upmixer. Will try indicated too. I also sometimes get pops when changing tracks or inputs. My output is set at 3.4 volts.

Magnus

Somewhat understandable though not justifiable, streamers using DD+ to save bandwidth.

From what I've read, it has nothing to do with saving bandwidth. Cinema standards for output levels literally stop at 25Hz. Most mixing setups are not calibrated for or set up to monitor infrasonic bass levels.

In other words, in the old days it was mostly sheer luck if a soundtrack had quality infrasonic bass.

Now with the mainstream popularity of 4K large TV sets, some studios are apparently concerned about sound bars, TV speakers and who knows what other nonsense being affected by unmonitored infrasonic bass levels in a "bad" way. Instead of installing the equipment needed to properly monitor, mix and inspect infrasonic levels, the are simply putting in a high pass filter at around 25Hz and calling it a day because that's where the cinema standard ends.

In short, you were never supposed to have infrasonic bass in the first place! Lazy editing/monitoring allowed it to slip through the cracks now it's been addressed/fixed by many of the studios.

In other words, crappy infrasonic bass levels are a FEATURE, not a bug! It sucks for bass addicts, but there it is.

The industry doesn't want to be a tool of the smallish high-end home theater business anymore either. They want real money. Amigo money! They want mainstream sales in the billions not a few thousand Trinnov owners complaining their extra speakers aren't being utilized by Disney!

Perhaps the home theater industry could take a page from certain squeaky wheel type movements out there that seem to be getting a lot of traction these days. If people can convince a beer maker to throw billions into the trash for a small group over millions of customers, why can't the home theater industry impress upon Hollywood to upgrade their standards to include the infrasonic range?

If not, at least the industry could embrace BEQ and standardize it to work around the issue or something. It's got to be hurting the subwoofer industry to at least some extent.

Butter

Well, I was going to wait for ART to be confirmed, but the HTP1 went on sale so yolo. Ordered a Buckeye Purifi 3 channel too.

Beast76

Well, I was going to wait for ART to be confirmed, but the HTP1 went on sale so yolo. Ordered a Buckeye Purifi 3 channel too.
I don’t think you’re going to be sorry. Hobie posted over at AVS they’re looking to be beta testing ART firmware before the end of the month.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a guide on how to get the output higher on this? Should 2.7v be set like in the review?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a guide on how to get the output higher on this? Should 2.7v be set like in the review?
You cannot get output higher than 4V, which is the only trade off. Setting it lower can improve sinad if your power amp clips at the higher voltage anyway.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
I'm trying to delete my first 2 DLBC calibrations to open the slots on the HTP. I go to the DIRAC app and delete the filter and it says it's gone, but the slots on the HTP still show the allegedly deleted calibrations still there. Can anyone advise me?

Oh, I've measured with REW at MLP the DLBC, and it looks to do what it claims to do. I have super flat bass down to 16 Hz with 4 SB-2000s.

McAllister

I'm trying to delete my first 2 DLBC calibrations to open the slots on the HTP. I go to the DIRAC app and delete the filter and it says it's gone, but the slots on the HTP still show the allegedly deleted calibrations still there. Can anyone advise me?

Oh, I've measured with REW at MLP the DLBC, and it looks to do what it claims to do. I have super flat bass down to 16 Hz with 4 SB-2000s.
The only way to “delete” them is to write over them. They can’t be deleted

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
The only way to “delete” them is to write over them. They can’t be deleted
I'll give it a shot. Will the slot name be changed? I think I tried that and the name didn't change, but that was when I knew a bit less than I know now...If the name doesn't change I can't tell if it took or not.

Top Bottom