• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

anomaly

Fast forward to 46:04
Yeah, his explanation was close but not quite there. There was a hardware-related issue that could cause periodic reboots (but the unit would come back fine) - unless someone also ran into the software issue that caused the bootloop. The hardware reboot issue could also be mitigated via software.

Source: Im the one who fixed the bootloop (bob8436 on avs)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dolby Vision? It wasn't even a thing when the 7703 processor was designed nor was it claimed as a compatible codec.

Your recollection is false. The 7703 was supposed to pass DV - maybe not at launch but there was a subsequent firmware update that enabled it. And it did, just didn’t have enough voltage on the HDMI out (ie was below spec) to do so when using an optical cable.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with that, mostly. Loudness compensation is the more important feature for most people,

Good point.

it was the only AVP to maintain Dolby Pro Logic II for music upmixing along with Atmos.
Yes, the combo of DPLII and Atmos is a big one. I actually found YPAO to work very well in my own home along with manual PEQ and I liked it better than Audyssey, pre Ratbuddysey/MultEQ-X.

Collectively (assuming availability) that does not look like several thousand dollars of benefit to me,

Oh. To be clear, I agree. I think, if I won a raffle and could choose a free HTP-1 or a free AV10, I would go for the AV10 if I knew it had Dirac ART. When voting with my wallet and knowing that Dirac ART is in fact in development, I went with the HTP-1.

XLR analog inputs in a digital processor seem wasteful. What would be connected to it?
I have a digital piano that is attached to my office integrated amp. If I moved it to the family room, it would be nice to be able to run long cables without interference.

Alternatively, a balanced phono if you ran a standalone phono.

FWIW my old Marantz 7703 at least was inferior to HTP-1 as well as Bryston/Storm and Lyngdorf. It could not pass Dolby Vision through my optical HDMI while the others all could. Inadequate voltage for the driver. Maybe new ones have more grunt, but everyone was touting Marantz's HDMI superior performance way back then too.
+1. That’s good info to have. A lot of the Marantz’s HDMI “performance” is for the HDMI-CEC compatibility and integration with various TV brands, etc.

For optical hdmi, the first Ultra High Speed HDMI AOC cables came out in 2020, so it’s a bit of a trickier situation.

I would expect the HTP-1 to be better than the 8805 generation but hard to know against 8805A/AV10 era.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, his explanation was close but not quite there. There was a hardware-related issue that could cause periodic reboots (but the unit would come back fine) - unless someone also ran into the software issue that caused the bootloop. The hardware reboot issue could also be mitigated via software.

Source: Im the one who fixed the bootloop (bob8436 on avs)
Thanks for the clarity and for fixing the boot loop error!

It’s pretty clear that Monoprice / ATI know a lot less than you do. Do you know if ATI writes its software in house, or should they really have just paid you to do the Dirac ART integration? :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your recollection is false. The 7703 was supposed to pass DV - maybe not at launch but there was a subsequent firmware update that enabled it. And it did, just didn’t have enough voltage on the HDMI out (ie was below spec) to do so when using an optical cable.
Again you can't slam a product for that. It was never known in 2016 it would need X voltage for DV, it didn't exist.
You can only give kudos to Marantz for the firmware making it able to pass "some" DV. You want it all, buy a new processor.
You buy new speakers that need 200 watts but your ole amp is only 50 watts, you gonna blame the amp builder?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again you can't slam a product for that. It was never known in 2016 it would need X voltage for DV, it didn't exist.

You have a weird but consistent pattern in this forum of attacking my comments in a manner that shows your own deficient understanding of what was written.

The issue is simply their HDMI solution at the time (maybe better now?) did not comply with the power output requirements (IIRC 5V, 55mA for HDMI 1.4, but that’s from foggy memory) in the HDMI spec. It manifested here in inability to pass DV over active cables. For others there were other limits (e.g. no 4k) for long runs to projectors. There are workarounds for weak-sauce HDMI outputs, called power injectors.

You buy new speakers that need 200 watts but your ole amp is only 50 watts, you gonna blame the amp builder?

If your amp has a firmware update the amp builder represents will give it 200W, yes.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If your amp has a firmware update the amp builder represents will give it 200W, yes.
But that firmware update did not give the AVR a higher output voltage ability, that could only be done with
hardware upgrade. They tried to give you something that was never promised at it's introduction.
As usual, no good deed goes unpunished..

anomaly

Thanks for the clarity and for fixing the boot loop error!

It’s pretty clear that Monoprice / ATI know a lot less than you do. Do you know if ATI writes its software in house, or should they really have just paid you to do the Dirac ART integration? :)
I'm just decent at Linux, I know next to nothing about DSP development. I don't know about ATI in general, I know they've helped with the HTP1 but weren't the primary developers - that was MDS.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But that firmware update did not give the AVR a higher output voltage ability, that could only be done with hardware upgrade. They tried to give you something that was never promised at it's introduction.

HDMI output compliant with the advertised specifications was never promised? Ok, sure whatever. Enjoy yourself. I’m done with lost causes.

I’d rather discuss the AVP that’s, you know, the subject of this thread. Among other virtues, that one has sufficient juice on the HDMI output to drive the active (wire and optical) cables I’ve used and provide the resolution and dynamic range encoded in the source material.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
HDMI output compliant with the advertised specifications was never promised? Ok, sure whatever. Enjoy yourself. I’m done with lost causes.
Nice to hear you admit it., when your wrong your wrong.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a digital piano that is attached to my office integrated amp. If I moved it to the family room, it would be nice to be able to run long cables without interference.

Fair enough. That’s an interesting use case. Now I want to see if our daughter’s old digital piano (we recently replaced it with an upright - def no XLR outs there!) piano has XLR outputs. I never thought to look.

For optical hdmi, the first Ultra High Speed HDMI AOC cables came out in 2020, so it’s a bit of a trickier situation.

FWIW, the optical HDMI in our old house (Monoprice PID 21567, “SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4, 50ft“) was bought in late 2017 per my order history. It passed DV fine on Bryston/Storm, Lyngdorf, and HTP-1. But it’s really just a matter of voltage. The age of the cable shouldn’t matter so long as it requires no more power than is mandated in the HDMI spec the source was built under, and the source actually complies with that spec. Maybe the new Marantzes comply with the HDMI spec Marantz represents compliance with on the box. The older ones did not. Their pricing has gotten so much higher, one would hope they at least meet claimed spec now!

Last thought: if you’re buying something for ART right now the only sure bet is Storm. I trust that engineers working on all these platforms are making good faith efforts to implement ART, but you never know until it’s out. Anything else is a speculative play. Even Denon/Marantz, who now have a considerably more hostile parent company board - see, e.g. https://www.strata-gee.com/masimo-s...inees-to-board-sound-united-future-is-cloudy/.

Just ask the NAD owners who have bought products represented as getting DLBC soon since they launched, such as the M10!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough. That’s an interesting use case. Now I want to see if our daughter’s old digital piano (we recently replaced it with an upright - def no XLR outs there!) piano has XLR outputs. I never thought to look.

I have a Kawai MP8 which is a stage piano with the same mechanism as their Baby Grand digital pianos. The MP11SE is the current generation. Those have high quality recordings of the EX Grand Piano but are dependent on good speakers. :)

FWIW, the optical HDMI in our old house (Monoprice PID 21567, “SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4, 50ft“) was bought in late 2017 per my order history.

Yeah, I guess DV shouldn’t need Ultra High Speed. I was trying to see when the optical cables got official HDMI blessing.

Last thought: if you’re buying something for ART right now the only sure bet is Storm. I trust that engineers working on all these platforms are making good faith efforts to implement ART, but you never know until it’s out. Anything else is a speculative play. Even Denon/Marantz, who now have a considerably more hostile parent company board - see, e.g. https://www.strata-gee.com/masimo-s...inees-to-board-sound-united-future-is-cloudy/.

Just ask the NAD owners who have bought products represented as getting DLBC soon since they launched, such as the M10!

That’s are great point. I personally would go for Trinnov once I got into the >$10K range.

I wasn’t aware of the Masimo issue. Losing $5B of market cap is a big deal unless they can bring shareholder value elsewhere. If the CEO cannot convince the shareholders that there is a long term play, you are right that there is real risk that Sound United stumbles again.

Still, it’s possible that the pulse oximetry patents are expiring and diversifying their business makes sense.

rkrkrk

So, what's the verdict on these now? Are the newer units better than what was originally reviewed here in 2020?

I'm thinking of getting one to be ready for DIRAC ART.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what's the verdict on these now? Are the newer units better than what was originally reviewed here in 2020?

I'm thinking of getting one to be ready for DIRAC ART.

1) Highest SINAD of any 16 ch processor tested here, esp. at the lower voltages. Marantz AV10 is rated higher SINAD but no PEQ or DLBC yet and not tested here yet.

2) Stable firmware at this point, where the system is pretty reliable. HDMI CEC is not as consistent as others from Denon/Marantz. The deal breaking bugs about 15-bits of dynamic range have been corrected.

3) September 2023 update is
“We've run a calibration with ART and are currently debugging and making adjustments based on that.”

It’s unclear if the HTP-1 will get the same level of ART as StormAudio or not. At least right now, it’s

4) Short of Trinnov/StormAudio, which have arbitrary speaker channel assignment, pretty much the gold standard.

5) No 8K switching

6) Inconsistent availability

rkrkrk

1) Highest SINAD of any 16 ch processor tested here, esp. at the lower voltages. Marantz AV10 is rated higher SINAD but no PEQ or DLBC yet and not tested here yet.

2) Stable firmware at this point, where the system is pretty reliable. HDMI CEC is not as consistent as others from Denon/Marantz. The deal breaking bugs about 15-bits of dynamic range have been corrected.

3) September 2023 update is
“We've run a calibration with ART and are currently debugging and making adjustments based on that.”

It’s unclear if the HTP-1 will get the same level of ART as StormAudio or not. At least right now, it’s

4) Short of Trinnov/StormAudio, which have arbitrary speaker channel assignment, pretty much the gold standard.

5) No 8K switching

6) Inconsistent availability
Thanks! I have an SDP-55 but am concerned about ART support. Wondering if I should sell now while it's still worth something, in case they don't have an upgrade.

Don't really have a need for 8K, at the moment.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The HTP-1 has an in home trial period so you may want to trial it.

I am now calling the HTP-1 the best processor on the market with the ability to use a user-developed interface and the crowdsourced “filtered bass EQ” database to restore the filtered low frequencies. If you like bass and have the ability to deliver sub 30Hz bass, then the HTP-1 is giving you the best experience.

The filtered BassEQ database comes out of the experience that BluRay discs are full range but UHD discs and streaming actually neuters the bass compared to the BD.

You even get stuff like Ahsoka

1694581242273.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So's the Gold required to own one. LOL
The filtered BassEQ database comes out of the experience that BluRay discs are full range but UHD discs and streaming actually neuters the bass compared to the BD.
What is at the root of UHD discs not being full range?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is at the root of UHD discs not being full range?

No good reason :(

The working hypothesis is that the UHD discs have full bitrate video, but the audio is mixed with the intent for streaming? Soundbars?

Look at oblivion

Oblivion 4K ATMOS/TrueHD BEQ: ( +18.5 at 22Hz )

ToNJxvl.jpg

Oblivion Bluray DTS-HD MA BEQ: (only needed +4.5 at 20Hz)

f3RHc27.jpg

——
Fans of bass EQ believe that even the Blu-Ray has filtered bass, but more importantly, it seems like you should have identical low frequency content between the 4K disc and the BD.

Star Wars: Ep II used to be one of reference demos on BluRay, but look at this

image.png

Even regular streaming shows have this big drop off.

image.png

image.png

Top Bottom