• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MC 427 Amplifier Review

Rate this car amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 115 75.2%

• Total voters

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Crosstalk is not great
I remember marketing literature from the late 80’s describing what appeared to be some feedback loop between the audio section and the SMPS (the DC-DC boost converter). Each manufacturer had their own version, described with fancy “audiophile” (unintelligible…) words. Being somewhat unique to high power car amp, could such feature explain the good distortion but poor crosstalk measurements?

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Back in my car audio repair days (1980's) I had the opportunity to try a few 'no name brand' amps (all Class AB) and when placed into a decent HiFi system, they actually sounded amazingly good.

I did reverse engineer one of them, and the amplifier topology was quite typical of a HiFi amp at the time, and they even used decent output transistors.

These amps were amazingly robust too, taking abuse in their stride (2 ohm loads etc.).

So I'm not surprised this McIntosh measures as well as it does.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1701873483319.jpeg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the McIntosh MC 427 (MC427) stereo car audio amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. It has been discontinued but used ones go for about US $500.
View attachment 331978
Not much to distinguish the amplifier from other car amps other than the bright blue logo. Unlike all the others I have tested though, this one is class AB, not Class D.

There are two small fans which I don't like to see. Fortunately in use the amp ran very cool, barely getting warm and I don't think the fans ever came on.

McIntosh MC427 Amplifier Measurement
As usual we start with our dashboard of 5 watts into 4 ohm load:
View attachment 331979
Are you seeing what I am seeing? Distortion product at nearly -120 dB??? And in a car amp? Incredible. SINAD is noise limited and lands the MC427 neck and neck with a state of the art class D car amp:
View attachment 331980

Notice the high current usage of 7 amps to produce 5+5 watts of power (nearly 100 watts in!). Noise performance is excellent for a car amplifier:
View attachment 331981

Unlike most class D amplifiers, there is no load dependency in frequency response test:
View attachment 331982
There is an offset between the two channels though and they roll off differently but this may be due to age.

Crosstalk is not great:
View attachment 331984
It is similar to the last car amplifier I tested so there may be a common issue here with terminals they use or something like that.

Multitone performance is yet again excellent:
View attachment 331985
Guess what 19+20 kHz intermodulation performance is:
View attachment 331987
Yes, excellent. :)

Let's see if it meets the power spec of 100 watts per channel:
View attachment 331989

View attachment 331990

Of course it does and then some. But better have good supply of current seeing how almost 40 amps were drawn.

Here is 8 ohm:
View attachment 331991

Sweeping at different frequencies shows the class AB strength in not caring a lot but the amp did go into protection at lower frequencies:
View attachment 331992

I was pushing it into clipping though which often causes that.

Finally, the amp was stable on power up other than a minor glitch:
View attachment 331993

Conclusions
The MC427 delivers performance that is eye popping for a car audio amplifier. Distortion near -120 is insanely good, beating many home amplifier! Measured power exceeds specification. The only cost is much less efficiency.

This is really superb execution on behalf of McIntosh engineering. I don't know the merits of buying one used but the MC427 really shows how it is done.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I'm not in the market for this but it's great to see something living up to, not abusing, the great name on it!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So now we can add one data point showing the Mac measured performance is indeed "high end" and not just hype. Let’s see more.
Erin doesn’t do measurements as well as Amir, but you can see that the McIntosh is “high end” for their true designs (Class AB products) as opposed to their lifestyle HypeX products.

The biggest problem, honestly, having owned several McIntosh products is

A) They will break if you ship them without factory packaging. The front panel is glass and it’s not any sort of fancy gorilla glass, etc. It’s not McIntosh’s fault, just that FedEx and UPS are more overworked than when USPS was shipping things back in the day.

B) If you ship them in factory packaging, it’s safe but it involves shipping on plywood slats. The boxes are super big which are actually too big for many small vehicles. They are also heavy and expensive to ship.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin doesn’t do measurements as well as Amir, but you can see that the McIntosh is “high end” for their true designs (Class AB products) as opposed to their lifestyle HypeX products.

Yes, 0.0006% THD+N at the elbow = -104 dB. And that's at over 450 watts into 8 ohms. With a ton of headroom to boot.

Kevinfc

Gotta admit, this surprised me. Always thought of Mac as a more of a collectors brand. No idea they did auto stereo.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It us the mains powered analyzer creating a small ground loop. I couldn't get rid of it.
Should have ignored it. Won't happen in use in a car!
Also, it should not have been allowed to bring SINAD or resolution down.
Otherwise, great, thanx.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes ya wonder why their high end stuff is tubed.

Do they know something?

:cool:

I owned the MC2102 which was really nice but sold it at the beginning of the pandemic. I miss it for the collectibility but in the grand scheme of things, my progression in audio has been a good one.

They are very candid that they make it because it sells:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive!

But expected. :). McIntosh in the Clarion era was SOTA. Clarion was so focused on precision that they introduced the water jet glass front panels of the home unit.
I guess my recollection about Clarion was correct!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I seem to remember that McIntosh had teamed up with Clarion to develop its car products.
Clarion owned McIntosh for a period before selling to D&M but McIntosh was still able to do the design. My understanding was that the head units were modified Clarion’s but the amps were McIntosh designs.

One thing to note is that the link I posted to their AVP at Erin’s Audio Corner is a “modified” Denon/Marantz product but it measured way better than anything we have seen from Denon and Marantz (at the time).

Top Bottom