• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MC 427 Amplifier Review

Rate this car amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 115 75.2%

• Total voters

DonR

Major Contributor
That's a good idea re electrification & lower noise, but with the levels of SINAD we're talking then surely it's miniscule in comparison to even the quietest of quiet electric vehicles whilst driving - road noise, etc, (petrol engine & exhaust obviously being only one part of motoring noise).
Probably but it is a better environment than in the past. Probably still mostly for the sake of marketing, though.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review, @amirm,
Unfortunately, the used market prices for this Mc (w/its cheese + special sauce) should go up because of your test results.:oops:
202312_MC427B.jpg
202312_MC427A.jpg

Nice!

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
nice unit and very pretty but of all the places noise and distortion may not matter its in the car and laundry room, except of course for parking :mad:

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Candid question: with more cars offering ANC or active noise generation (so it sounds “sporty”), does the amp performance even matter?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Candid question: with more cars offering ANC or active noise generation (so it sounds “sporty”), does the amp performance even matter?
Sure. ANC requires even higher output power from the Amp as the speakers have to play your music plus inverse noise on top.

dfuller

Major Contributor
McIntosh stuff is pretty much always excellent performance wise - their tube based gear is as tube gear goes quite low distortion with boatloads of power. Heavy SOBs though...

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
All of the older Mcintosh amps love ventilation for the record. The will get very hot. They also doubled as a heater in my 69.5 Panteria.
They do have a protect mode if I remember. I've have had and used better amps. Now I use a pair of Power Acoustics that are about
the size of my hands put together. Class Ds! I've taken them apart they are extremely heavy for their size. Built like a tank.

I run a single 10" HO-44 in a 1cf IB 3/4" treated inside and out cabinet. I run at 8 ohms and about 250 watts. They run cool. I would still
take the Mcintosh for 6X9 2 or 3way speakers. 6-8ohm loads sound a lot better to me. You wire how you want.
Raw power and heavy loads class Ds are an easy choice at 80-120.00 usd. I've ran that HO-44 at 1.8 ohms (static) on the same amp.
No problem, but you better have tight connections. Things do get hot, when you push them. LOL

I used 4/4 SOOW X 2 in (you pick) armor with Y spades cranked down on 1/4 or 1/2" copper lugs.
Makes for nice installs. Spray, wipe, dry, and play.

Mead makes great tools to tune them, if you can't figure it out. Searious Bass head. I'm not. BUT I understand how not to burn the
vehicle or the equipment UP by scrimping on cabling and crappy install techniques. Loose connection and low ohms is a fire waiting to
happen. I've seen some bad choices for cabling because of size over quality too. Aluminum has no place in audio cabling. It's for rems
and cases and Magico speakers. LOL:cool:

Regards

Labjr

Major Contributor
I don't understand people who need loud booming exaggerated bass blowing the windows out. I don't think car stereo amps are as popular as they were 25-30 years ago. Probably because the factory radios have gotten better and radios are integrated into the rest of the electronics of a vehicle.

About 35 years ago I put a nice Alpine system in a new truck I bought. It was stolen 2-3 weeks later and I've never spent money on car stereo since.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially those who participate in SPL competitions: I remember seeing some amps able to go as low as 1 ohm.
I don't think with car amps 1 ohm is all that hard to find now? Not sure, but easier to find than a home consumer amp rated for 2 ohm :)
I don't understand people who need loud booming exaggerated bass blowing the windows out. I don't think car stereo amps are as popular as they were 25-30 years ago. Probably because the factory radios have gotten better and radios are integrated into the rest of the electronics of a vehicle.

About 35 years ago I put a nice Alpine system in a new truck I bought. It was stolen 2-3 weeks later and I've never spent money on car stereo since.
Some just like that.....while I like the lower end a lot, not to the point of spl competitions/deafening use. I've had several car systems ripped off over the last 50 years....the first was an 8-track system. Had a partially successful attempt recently (they couldn't get the head unit out, but stole my stand-alone sub and a lot of miscellaneous stuff in my van).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an old (over 20+ years old I believe Sony 4 channel amp I could send. Believe I have an Alpine as well. I have a crate of amps, head units, speakers, and active crossovers left over from those days...I miss installing those systems. Cars these days are so complex with the audio system integrated w/ the backup camera, security, GPS, etc it's almost impossible to modify one. I may send the Sony in if @amirm wants to measure it. These car amps probably aren't a time drain like an AVR so maybe?

Top Bottom