• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

D'AMORE E660.5 Car Amplifier Review

Rate this car amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 38 31.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 57.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

peniku8

Forum Donor
I would love to see someone take the Klippel distortion audibility test in a moving vehicle and then tell me why they need "at least" 80dB SINAD to enjoy their music on the go :)

Adaboy4z

Good review! I am a car audio enthusiast first, 90s Bass head. I can't imagine driving a car without good sound and bass. I'm one of those guys that replaces all the factory speakers, sound deadens the doors, trunk and foam/Tesa tape on all wires. I believe in a quality amplifier that does rated power, stays cool and sounds good.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted “not terrible.” Almost voted “fine” taking into consideration the application and cost.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking about Noise Canceling Car Audio. Like IPod Pro earbuds but with internal cabin active noise cancellation. If it’s not common now it will be at some point. Apparently I left this part out in my above comment :facepalm:. That’s what I get for not proofreading my post.
Noise cancellation via speakers as opposed to headphones is very hard. I looked into developing an active noise cancellation system for use in restaurants and auditoriums to reduce echo and found it to be impossible with off the shelf components. Passive acoustic room treatments offer similar results at lower cost.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I see why the unit tested had serious problems. The internal picture shows a major error in design. They used cheap black circuit boards instead of the high qualify green ones. Caught my eye right away. The high end green circuit boards are infused with Quantum Technology with imbedded strings in the board. The strings allow it to conform to modern string theory. Oh well. they had to build to a price point.

Ps - Can you tell I got all my learning on YouTube videos? I hope it doesn't show.o_O LOL

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I was thinking about Noise Canceling Car Audio. Like IPod Pro earbuds but with internal cabin active noise cancellation. If it’s not common now it will be at some point. Apparently I left this part out in my above comment :facepalm:. That’s what I get for not proofreading my post.
Those use the speaker systems in the car though. So I don't really know how that would work at the same time with an amp like this. I don't think it would even work properly if you changed the speakers in the vehicle.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I see why the unit tested had serious problems. The internal picture shows a major error in design. They used cheap black circuit boards instead of the high qualify green ones. Caught my eye right away. The high end green circuit boards are infused with Quantum Technology with imbedded strings in the board. The strings allow it to conform to modern string theory. Oh well. they had to build to a price point.

Ps - Can you tell I got all my learning on YouTube videos? I hope it doesn't show.o_O LOL
Never heard of such things and I don't think they have such things on Youtube either... but who knows. There is plenty of junk content for normies to think they learned something.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mazda had this in the 90’s with their Millenia sedan.

You can find it in a number of luxury cars today.

I looked into developing an active noise cancellation system for use in restaurants and auditoriums to reduce echo and found it to be impossible with off the shelf components. Passive acoustic room treatments offer similar results at lower cost.

Meyer Sound has their Constellation system which reportedly is used to provide this kind of room treatment along with enhancing whatever you want musically. I think the noise reduction element isn’t as reliable though, since they still use passive room treatment

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @amirm, for the review.
Unfortunately, every time you post a review of automotive audio products, I start thinking that I really "should" upgrade my audio system but, it is NOT as simple as throwing a 5channel amp inside my cabin and it's a finished task.:(
I would have to de-gut my whole car and do it properly by replacing/adding cables, dynamat, amps, caps, head-end, speakers, controls, etc......:mad:
I guess it would take me at least a few months and to the cost of probably $2500+ in parts.

Is it possible to modify automotive audio systems that are so integrally interconnected to the whole car electronics (not per se for EVs) for any vehicle manufactured in the last 6 years??
MercedesBenz has been using 48V systems in their cars for years, but I do not to what extent...

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am glad to see this conversation about automobile audio.

I am a long time member of AES, I receive periodic publications from them.

It seem that every issue has a paper about automobile audio, much of the work is about how much quality is good enough for in the car. You know stuff like; how many band equalization is good enough and sound stage

I like the heck out of the bluetooth pairing between my cellphone and the Harmon autoaudio system.

Thanks DT

DualTriode

Thank you @amirm, for the review.
Unfortunately, every time you post a review of automotive audio products, I start thinking that I really "should" upgrade my audio system but, it is NOT as simple as throwing a 5channel amp inside my cabin and it's a finished task.:(
I would have to de-gut my whole car and do it properly by replacing/adding cables, dynamat, amps, caps, head-end, speakers, controls, etc......:mad:
I guess it would take me at least a few months and to the cost of probably $2500+ in parts.

Is it possible to modify automotive audio systems that are so integrally interconnected to the whole car electronics (not per se for EVs) for any vehicle manufactured in the last 6 years??
MercedesBenz has been using 48V systems in their cars for years, but I do not to what extent...
I bought a new car to fix that problem.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As a funny aside, there is nothing about how to wire this amp in the manual as if to say, "if you don't know how to wire this, you are not our customer!" :)

DavidK442

Forum Donor
Nice to see another car audio product hit the bench.
Doesn’t appear that I will be reworking my old school Class AB powered 4-way active setup anytime soon but always keep my eyes open for a more efficient Class D with good measurements.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are stuck in traffic road noise is minimal to non-existent. And cars these days are remarkably quiet. People also want to use DSP/EQ with these things requiring much headroom.
Respectfully, this is just my opinion and personal experience. Most people who are into car audio are younger folks, who for the most part aren't really too keen about high fidelity, but rather more for the cultural statement and phenomenon, along with the enjoyment of heavy hitting bass, which is the most distorted part of the frequency band anyway. But even many of today's younger folks don't even want to drive or own a car.

When I was a teenager, I was into car audio, with sub boxes in the trunk (although I personally never had because I was broke as hell as a teenager), but I had no illusion that the car audio was nothing more than a cultural phenomenon used to impress others, particularly young women, by young men.

As an established, older and fine gentleman that I am now with more disposable income, if I were to want to enjoy a fine tune on the road, I would turn to a car that is outfitted with an OEM sound system that was designed specifically for the car that is well integrated, perhaps like the ELS in Acura, Mark Levison in Infiniti or even a Bose (yes, I said Bose). And I would drive that car hastily back home where I have my real high fidelity system to enjoy with a glass of fine wine.

Again, my personal experience with after market car audio.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d really like to see an Audiotec Fischer tested and I tagged the European distributor. Their high end models seem to have good measurements and I imagine the noise will be even lower when tested with an APx555.

The lower end MATCH line isn’t quite as good in SINAD

But a blind test of the Audiotec Fischer DSP amp in a 6 series did pretty well against home speakers.

Last edited:

DualTriode

Respectfully, this is just my opinion and personal experience. Most people who are into car audio are younger folks, who for the most part aren't really too keen about high fidelity, but rather more for the cultural statement and phenomenon, along with the enjoyment of heavy hitting bass, which is the most distorted part of the frequency band anyway. But even many of today's younger folks don't even want to drive or own a car.

When I was a teenager, I was into car audio, with sub boxes in the trunk (although I personally never had because I was broke as hell as a teenager), but I had no illusion that the car audio was nothing more than a cultural phenomenon used to impress others, particularly young women, by young men.

As an established, older and fine gentleman that I am now with more disposable income, if I were to want to enjoy a fine tune on the road, I would turn to a car that is outfitted with an OEM sound system that was designed specifically for the car that is well integrated, perhaps like the ELS in Acura, Mark Levison in Infiniti or even a Bose (yes, I said Bose). And I would drive that car hastily back home where I have my real high fidelity system to enjoy with a glass of fine wine.

Again, my personal experience with after market car audio.

Go test drive a new Cadillac for a autoaudio upgrade.

Thanks DT

Top Bottom