• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P122 Class D Amplifier Measurements

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
although I just wish a "line-in-the-sand" %THD figure was used for ASR tests going forward. I use 0.1%, Hypex uses 1%, Amir uses the "knee" which could be essentially anything and varies from product to product.
Stereophile uses 1%.

Now, from the informal testing I have seen, 1% system THD in the treble is about the threshold of audibility with various types of music playing. To account for multiple links in the system chain and a safety net, I personally look at 0.1% THD.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think many of us would like to have a consistent power rating at a THD level below 1%.

So if @amirm would be willing, I personally would be grateful if he could list two standardized power rating figures: one at 1% THD, and another one at some agreed-upon lower level that provides more "buffer" from the audibility threshold - perhaps 0.05%?

If others think this is dumb, I am happy to revise my position here. But for now, that's my $.02.

Thanks!

pma

Major Contributor
another one at some agreed-upon lower level that provides more "buffer" from the audibility threshold - perhaps 0.05%?

But this "audibility threshold" expressed as a single number is totally pointless if we do not know the spectrum of distortion and level. I think you know ear masking curves that show both frequency and level dependence of masking of harmonics as a function of tone frequency and level, right? Where is the single number there?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok, let's hear what he will say. What strikes me as odd is why using 5W resistor when you have (say) 150W or 250W resistor to measure performance under load at full power.
5 watt is the amp output power not the load resistor. Same load resistor is used for all tests.

maty

Major Contributor
March Audio P122, with Hypex NC122MP module and XLR inputs

index.php

IOM NCore Pro with Hypex NC252MP module and XLR inputs

index.php

I know, different modules. I get the impression that it is about the stereo module and not about its implementation as I thought at the beginning.

Last edited:

AlexScan

I guess you meant 252MP. You already have your answer here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-iom-ncore-pro-pwr-amp.8979/

I tend to agree. (No offense, Alan;)). For EU customers, Audiophonics NC122MP or NC252MP amps are more competitive (if we don't consider build and finish).

No I speak for the NC250MP (mono version), according to Hypex datasheet better THD than the stereo one...

And you're right Nico from Audiophonics build good performance/price ratio product... the last amp Purifi stereo with home-made input board is the better exemple.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical for amps based on this series of modules. It's kind of difficult to mess up putting an all on one board amp in a box. Probably not enough power for inefficient speakers in large rooms.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I speak for the NC250MP (mono version), according to Hypex datasheet better THD than the stereo one...
Right. Except @March Audio doesn't make NC250MP units.
the last amp Purifi stereo with home-made input board is the better exemple.
Would be glad if @Audiophonics could send a unit, see if this home board doesn't change (down) the performance Vs reference. Still the cheapest Purifi offering around, tho.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But this "audibility threshold" expressed as a single number is totally pointless if we do not know the spectrum of distortion and level. I think you know ear masking curves that show both frequency and level dependence of masking of harmonics as a function of tone frequency and level, right? Where is the single number there?

You’re responding to the wrong person. I was commenting on where the standardized THD figure should be set. If you want to argue against the utility of any standardized figure, then your argument is with this entire line of discussion and everyone who’s participating - so kindly quote someone else’s comment (or start a new thread) to grind your borderline off-topic axe. Thanks.

AlexScan

Right. Except @March Audio doesn't make NC250MP units.

Would be glad if @Audiophonics could send a unit, see if this home board doesn't change (down) the performance Vs reference. Still the cheapest Purifi offering around, tho.

Yes but he have access to Hypex OEM program... I have to... but I not a professionnal and I am very "money limited"...

I can contact Audiophonics to tell you to send somme amp to Amir...

gvl

Major Contributor
Are there less sexy amps with comparable performance at half the price?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The process for determining power at a set percentage is very stressful on the amplifier. The analyzer keeps hunting around trying to get to that near exact value, meanwhile pushing the amp into and out of clipping. It is also unreliable in that some amps simply can't go low enough in distortion. Even 1% THD+N causes problem with some amps and I have had to adjust that to 2% or even higher.

So for now, I like to stay where I am. The knee is the conservative assessment of the design limit of the amplifier. In a perfect world, every company would rate their amps this way and reviewers would measure the same way. A few watts lower or higher there is not material. Then, I have continuous and burst at 1% THD+N. Adding yet another test is more work and I am not sure it adds much value.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Top Bottom