• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio P122 Class D Amplifier Measurements

AlexScan

Yes, I will send in another P502 soon for re-test.

Can you send a NC250MP model ?

Thy is the "better one" MP module according to Hypex Datasheet... i hope to see the measurements Versus the other one....

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Thy is the "better one" MP module according to Hypex Datasheet... i hope to see the measurements Versus the other one....
I will send a P252 (we dont make a NC250 based mono) but it will be after the Sydney Hifi show in a few weeks. . I need the demo units for that.

Although I wouldn't expect you to trust them ;) , the Hypex data sheets do show accurate information.

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
It says into 4 Ohms, so I presume so. Best ask Amir.

Ok, let's hear what he will say. What strikes me as odd is why using 5W resistor when you have (say) 150W or 250W resistor to measure performance under load at full power.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Realistically, March Audio's specifications for the unit have been confirmed in independent tests. Personally I don't agree with a Pout/2 (half power) THD figure being headlined in the official rated specifications, but one could argue it's a more typical use-case than a full power test.

Amir's tests closely align with the Hypex data, although I just wish a "line-in-the-sand" %THD figure was used for ASR tests going forward. I use 0.1%, Hypex uses 1%, Amir uses the "knee" which could be essentially anything and varies from product to product. If one was to pick 1%, even "designer" tube gear would make it, without needing special concessions...

As a Hypex Class D implementation, nobody can deny the clean and simple look of the product without looking like a DIY project. It appeals to me, although I'd just buy a couple of his mono-blocks and call it done if I was starting out.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Ok, let's hear what he will say. What strikes me as odd is why using 5W resistor when you have (say) 150W or 250W resistor to measure load under full power.

5W is Amir's standard low power test. Typically it was 1W, but let's face it, speakers are pretty inefficient these days and most listening is done with levels hovering around 5W/4R, even I admit that is true. :)

His high power resistors can do upwards of half a kilowatt.

QMuse

Major Contributor
5W is Amir's standard low power test. Typically it was 1W, but let's face it, speakers are pretty inefficient these days and most listening is done with levels hovering around 5W/4R, even I admit that is true. :)

His high power resistors can do upwards of half a kilowatt.

Oh, I agree with you, 5W is sufficient for normal listening, I was just curious if his resistor can withstand full power load. :)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The price/performance doesn't seem to be that great, pretty low power so I'd rather spend a bit more to get at least double the power.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I guess you meant 252MP. You already have your answer here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-iom-ncore-pro-pwr-amp.8979/

The price/performance doesn't seem to be that great, pretty low power so I'd rather spend a bit more to get at least double the power.

I tend to agree. (No offense, Alan;)). For EU customers, Audiophonics NC122MP or NC252MP amps are more competitive (if we don't consider build and finish).

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Ok, let's hear what he will say. What strikes me as odd is why using 5W resistor when you have (say) 150W or 250W resistor to measure performance under load at full power.
He is not using a 5 watt resistor, he is testing at 5 watts output as this is a very typical listening level. His dummy loads can take over 500 watts as he has tested other amps at this level.

QMuse

Major Contributor
He is not using a 5 watt resistor, he is testing at 5 watts output as this is a very typical listening level. His dummy loads can take over 500 watts as he has tested other amps at this level.

Yup, I got that from @restorer-john post. :)

Btw, from what I can see from this measurements you built a decent amp. Regarding max power related comments, here are my 2c: some folks would find this power sufficient and for those who want/need more I'm sure you have other models to offer.

So, let's make things right.. :D

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
There are many reasons people choose a product. Price is rsrely the defining reason.
True, if you have very sensitive speakers this is probably enough.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(if we don't consider build and finish

And shipping costs from the land of Oz to Europa...

Do Commonwealth nations, e.g. Oz to UK, get a break on import duties via "free trade" agreements?

What VAT taxes do EU and non-EU European countries pay on imports? How does that mesh with import duties?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Headroom is relative based on an audio system. I was happy with 25wpc for my mid-sized Paradigm Atom monitors...
The [Paradigm] Atom boasts a sensitivity of 90dB with an impedance of eight ohms, meaning it is suitable for amplifiers and/or receivers ranging in power from around 15 watts on up. Its maximum sustained input power is said to be 50 watts.

...but now have 70wpc, which gives me more "headroom" for musical peaks with music that has good dynamic range. The March P 122 would give me more headroom, although I doubt I would notice it.

Being familiar with Alan's Background (LINK), which includes working for many years at the turbine (jet engine) division of Rolls Royce, I would expect the cases, components and assembly of March amplifiers to be of very high quality.

pma

Major Contributor
Being familiar with Alan's Background (LINK), which includes working for many years at the turbine (jet engine) division of Rolls Royce, I would expect the cases, components and assembly of March amplifiers to be of very high quality.

We must be a kind of colleagues, then.
arcspray.jpg

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Realistically, March Audio's specifications for the unit have been confirmed in independent tests. Personally I don't agree with a Pout/2 (half power) THD figure being headlined in the official rated specifications, but one could argue it's a more typical use-case than a full power test.

Amir's tests closely align with the Hypex data, although I just wish a "line-in-the-sand" %THD figure was used for ASR tests going forward. I use 0.1%, Hypex uses 1%, Amir uses the "knee" which could be essentially anything and varies from product to product. If one was to pick 1%, even "designer" tube gear would make it, without needing special concessions...

As a Hypex Class D implementation, nobody can deny the clean and simple look of the product without looking like a DIY project. It appeals to me, although I'd just buy a couple of his mono-blocks and call it done if I was starting out.

We had a thread a while back where we discussed this and IIRC I also suggested a lower THD limit for power ratings, but the consensus seemed to disagree and favour a higher limit.

I agree we need a consistent limit, whatever that may be, and not just eyeball the knee point.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Different people's requirements do vary quite a lot. It does depend upon speakers, application; size of room, listening style etc. Even 75 watts (8 ohms rating) into typical 85dB/w/m speakers can generate decent sound levels, circa 103dB

pma

Major Contributor
I agree we need a consistent limit, whatever that may be, and not just eyeball the knee point.

I agree as well. Attached plot shows transition area in higher X-axis resolution. I would not use the "knee" point, but rather the 1% point, then even tube amps or similar to Pass amps might be defined in power rating. 0.1% point might be acceptable as well, but then amps with very low FB or tube amps would be specified to low and contrary to their use in real world.
THD_R_4R_1k_thdampl.png

Top Bottom