• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparison: Amir's Microtech Gefell is rated to 146 dB SPL at ≤3% THD. UMIK-1 is 133 dB SPL at ≤1% THD.

The "better" measurement microphones should be relatively close in terms of distortion.
There are differences in the inherent noise (Noise SPL 20-35 dB).

Has anyone recently compared the current measurement microphones? I would be interested ;)

Harmonic distortion of iSEMcon EMX-7150:
1611850601199.png

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@ctrl Measurement mic talk is probably best suited for a separate thread. With all the different ones available it could derail this thread and I’d like it to stay on-topic, if we can. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Getting a little closer. Just received this email from the sales manager at KLIPPEL.
The NFS is ready to be picked up for transport from the KLIPPEL office. :)

So, Here's to hoping the import fees are not very costly. :confused:
There is no duty but you are in for boatload of paperwork with DB.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is possible I may purchase a second M23 just so I won't have to swap back and forth from the NFS and my other tests (transducers, and cea-2010 ground plane) but that's another $500 I don't have at the moment.
You could try an iSEMcon EMX-7150. It costs "only" 60% of the M23 with almost identical features.
Only the inherent noise is 10dB higher than the M23, but that doesn't matter, because in your garage the noise floor is definitely above 30dB.
And the lower sensitivity of the EMX-7150 is even an advantage over the M23 in measurements with high sound pressure (less risk of overdriving the mic preamp).
I have been using an EMX-7150 for years - can recommend it.

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Congrats on reaching 100% funding (of your $2,500 goal)...not the total cost of NFS! :D
View attachment 109356

Yes!!!

Thank you to everyone who donated. It truly means a lot!!!

Anything "extra" I get at this point will just help go toward testing in other ways. Possibly a new measurement microphone so I won't have to share between the NFS and my other measurements such as my subwoofer and transducer testing.

According to tracking, the NFS is scheduled to land in Memphis tonight. So it is possible I will get it as early as next week depending on how long it takes to get through customs. I'm about to have to start clearing out my garage so I can ready for it. :D

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I plan to create an "Introduction to the NFS" video (in some capacity) for my YouTube channel where I will discuss the NFS; what it is, what it does, why it's important, etc, etc. The goal is to essentially create an FAQ in video form. While everyone here is already familiar with the NFS there are a LOT of people who have no idea what it is; a lot of my subscribers fit this bill. Thus, the introduction-type video.

With that said, in order for me to help you all understand the NFS and why I am using it, I have a question for you about what I plan to do:

1. Are there specific questions that you guys have about the NFS that I can (try to) address up front? Either in general, about my specific setup, or just in general?

Edit: Deleted the first question. I've got that taken care of now.

Last edited:

Ericglo

I think you might be better served with two videos. A laymans introduction overview video and a more in depth technical video. I wonder what the average length of time for a you tube video that gets the most views before people tune out. The technical video could be as long as you want. I am sure most here would watch it no matter how long it is. The layman would probably need to be just long enough to keep the casual viewer watching without turning off.

My big question is what size speakers can you measure vertically and horizontally? Can it do center channel speakers? How about a unity horn?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I wonder what the average length of time for a you tube video that gets the most views before people tune out.

Very, very dependent on various factors. And the content drives that. A one minute video might work for one video but will not for another. I don’t shoot for a time. As a content creator, I learned shooting for a specific time is a fallacy. However, I do make an effort at not droning on about things and suck up unnecessary time. There’s a difference.

As for your questions: good ones. I will put those on the list.

Thanks.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I made a video for my channel today discussing the state of things. I know you all know about the NFS but I just wanted to share an update on testing (as many have asked when DD8C and Kef speaker reviews will be completed) and also try to give a "personal" thank you to those who were able to contribute with the NFS fund.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin, super excited for you. Find someone with an artistic touch to bump the video production up a notch (getting cut scenes and montages of the klippel in action with sick open license music) and you have the ingredients for a highly successful (profitable) YT channel. I look forward to watching your growth mate. No crab buckets here!

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Erin, super excited for you. Find someone with an artistic touch to bump the video production up a notch (getting cut scenes and montages of the klippel in action with sick open license music) and you have the ingredients for a highly successful (profitable) YT channel. I look forward to watching your growth mate. No crab buckets here!

Thanks for the cheers. :)

My most recent subwoofer test incorporated the testing in action. I didn't link it here because I doubt anyone cares about a $50 car audio subwoofer. ;) I will be providing a time-lapse video for each NFS test, though, to show it off. :)

I'm working on it, slowly but surely. Still only 6 months in to this YT thing but I feel like it's getting a little bit better with each new video.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the cheers. :)

I will be providing a time-lapse video for each NFS test, though, to show it off. :)
I thought you were going to setup a Wyze Cam v3 so people can watch while it's measuring. :p

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I had to pay a $383 (plus 3% CC fee) customs brokerage fee. That hurt. But, I immediately got a reply from the customs agency that the NFS has cleared customs.

Very possible the NFS will be here this weekend. Woot!

7683423E-CCB4-4D21-91DD-FF6CB17F6FB9.jpeg

McFly

Get some go pros or similar and get one rolling for the machine install then you could timelapse it , or even just use it for your own record e.g. if somethings missing. Just an idea anyway.

Ha this is awesome, some people buy track cars, some people buy speaker measuring robotics.

Jdunk54nl

Ha this is awesome, some people buy track cars, some people buy speaker measuring robotics.

Can't we have both????...oh wait...I am dreaming again...

Ericglo

I finally watched jtwrace's podcast with Erin. It was a good episode.

I agree with jtw's take on youtube personalities.

Top Bottom