• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio WS 12 Version 2 low output.. Help a n00b Please (musician not audiophile here)

OP
M

monks-cat

@Monk Exactly the last sentence. You match the output individually and use master volume for future control. I don't know what Korg outputs (max) but I am certain Apollon will output 4 V balanced.
Is it incorrect to think of an amplifer volume knob as simply another gain on the line level? Is there any advantage at keeping the amplifer volume at roughly 12' o clock and using higher pre amp gain?

Thank you again, really demystifying a bunch of stuff I've been wondering about for awhile.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well if 12 o'clock is 0 dB there is a lot of reason to keep it there and main is that you don't blow it out. Not the 9 o'clock news fur sure. Many power amplifier are kept a lot below what's declared as 0 dB as many of them reach full output power on much lower input level 350 to 500 mV and sub's usually in range of 150 to 250 mV and talking about home unbalanced ones of course. Simply said it will happen from whatever reason sometimes it's not switched off and DAC (in whatever form) gets switched on and pops loudly. It's not impossible that someone get caught up in the cabal and rips it out that's actually favorite tweater killer. As long as power amplifier has the initial gain setup on getting on its highly advisable to keep it low and adjust it up when it's on and you save equipment that way.

OP
M

monks-cat

Well if 12 o'clock is 0 dB there is a lot of reason to keep it there and main is that you don't blow it out. Not the 9 o'clock news fur sure. Many power amplifier are kept a lot below what's declared as 0 dB as many of them reach full output power on much lower input level 350 to 500 mV and sub's usually in range of 150 to 250 mV and talking about home unbalanced ones of course. Simply said it will happen from whatever reason sometimes it's not switched off and DAC (in whatever form) gets switched on and pops loudly. It's not impossible that someone get caught up in the cabal and rips it out that's actually favorite tweater killer. As long as power amplifier has the initial gain setup on getting on its highly advisable to keep it low and adjust it up when it's on and you save equipment that way.
Ok yes I understand that point. But am I correct to assume that the power knob can be thought of as simple gain adjustment on the line level? So its equivalent to say a gain adjustment on the mixer?

Or is slightly different.. was trying to read about this and people had varying opinions.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok yes I understand that point. But am I correct to assume that the power knob can be thought of as simple gain adjustment on the line level? So its equivalent to say a gain adjustment on the mixer?

Or is slightly different.. was trying to read about this and people had varying opinions.
Depends how it's implemented is it pasive analog or digital, for what stage it is or it's for operational (pre) amplifier. People always have various opinions that's why that's called subjective opinion in the first place. Anyway it's a limiter above which amplifier won't go one way or the other. How much it influence quality and performance is dependent on implementation. For example one of the useful features of 32 bit integer DAC's is better scaling and less performance loss compared to 24 bit ones regarding volume control.

Severian

Forum Donor
I just got one of these this week and set it up yesterday. I'm very happy with the output. I'm not using the built-in crossover... I'm sending it a summed mono signal from my t.Racks DSP-204. I have the gain adjustment at 0dB since the signal is already being summed by my DSP. I set the max input to +20dbU as that is the max output of the DSP. I have the volume knob turned nearly to max.

Measured nearfield with my UMM-6 and REW, it's hitting about 126dB and sounds clean.

This sub is a great match for my high output 15" coaxials in a small room. They are even the exact same width. I previously had these speakers paired with some DIY 15" subs, but those got repurposed for home theater. Buying the Kali WS-12 was an alternative to building a new pair of subwoofers - I suspected it would keep up, and it does. Can't wait to get another.

I wouldn't use it in a live PA setting except for perhaps for a small gathering or background music. But it really hits a sweet spot for a loud stereo.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I wouldn't use it in a live PA setting except for perhaps for a small gathering or background music.
They say it's "for the studio or stage" but most pro & club & live subwoofers are "tuned differently". Typically they are tuned to go-down to around 40Hz. (That's about the lowest note on a standard bass guitar and it's low enough for bass you can feel in your body, but your keyboard may go lower.)

With that compromise they can make it more efficient and "louder" to fill a large venue with strong bass. Most "live" subs are also 15 or even 18-inches, and often used in multiples.

Top Bottom