• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noisy Kali Audio WS-6.2 - is my unit broken?

aku

Hello everyone!

TLDR: I'm looking for Kali Audio WS-6.2 owners to help me find out if my unit is abnormally noisy.

I just got a Kali Audio WS-6.2 subwoofer based on Erin's Audio Corner measurements and recommendations here on ASR. I intend to use it to get a better bass extension out of my system currently composed of a pair of KEF LS50's (non-meta), an amplifier, and a CamillaDSP on an RPi for room mode equalization.

As soon as I powered on my unit I noticed that in positions of the Crossover switch other than "80Hz" (the other two are "LFE" and "External") it generates noise that is clearly audible from my listening position about 3 meters away. I intend to integrate the sub using my existing CamillaDSP setup so I would like to set Crossover to "External".

The noise I'm hearing is definitely generated by the sub because it is the same regardless of input connections - even when inputs are disconnected. Level of the noise scales with the position of the Volume knob, but to render it inaudible I have to move it from its detent at "0dB". This will make system calibration more difficult and fragile, potentially also reducing available headroom.

The noise is annoying in both level (audible from MLP) and spectral composition (narrowband, centered around 170Hz). I measured the spectrum using a Behrigner ECM8000 measurement mic a few centimeters from one of the woofers (1/24 smoothing):
Kali_artifact.jpg

I need to decide whether to return my unit as defective and order another one, hoping it will be better, or return it and keep looking for a quieter sub.

My kind request to current owners of this sub is this: could you please disconnect all inputs from your unit, set the volume to 0dB, set Crossover to "External", power it on, and tell me if you hear anything when standing somewhere close to it. Thanks!

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had exactly the same issue with mine contacted Kali support, which told me to send it back.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My kind request to current owners of this sub is this: could you please disconnect all inputs from your unit, set the volume to 0dB, set Crossover to "External", power it on, and tell me if you hear anything when standing somewhere close to it. Thanks!
Mine is totally silent. I’m literally next to it all day.

ninetylol

I had exactly the same issue with mine contacted Kali support, which told me to send it back.
Nah i used Amazon return but Kali Support was really nice and wanted to send me a new one if i did sent it to them.

OP
A

aku

@ninetylol, thanks.

@voodooless, just to confirm: is your Kali sub crossover switch set to "External" or "LFE"? As I said, the issue I'm seeing is only present in these two positions of that switch. When set to "80Hz", mine is also silent. Also, is the volume knob somewhere close to 0dB?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I have mine set to LFE, no noise. I just switched it between all 3 positions and no noise. I would definitely send it back and get it replaced.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@ninetylol , thanks.

@voodooless , just to confirm: is your Kali sub crossover switch set to "External" or "LFE"? As I said, the issue I'm seeing is only present in these two positions of that switch. When set to "80Hz", mine is also silent.
It’s set to external.

OP
A

aku

Okay, thank you for your replies!

I will return the subwoofer and get a new one. I'll report back once I have the replacement.

OP
A

aku

Update:

I got a refund for the first unit. I then purchased another one, for the full price (not B-stock).
Unfortunately, the second unit has exactly the same problem as the first one.

I contacted Kali directly for comment...

ninetylol

Update:

I got a refund for the first unit. I then purchased another one, for the full price (not B-stock).
Unfortunately, the second unit has exactly the same problem as the first one.

I contacted Kali directly for comment...
thats a bummer. Kali wanted me to send mine in directly to them to look at the unit. they were really curious, as they didnt knew the problem few months ago.

Haruko

i got the same problem, i returned the unit

OP
A

aku

Haruko, thanks for the video. This looks exactly the same as mine.

What you tested with noise, I tested with a 40Hz tone generated from REW. I got the same gating behavior, and at roughly the same level: -45dBu.

I will attach a link to this thread to my conversation with Kali.

Last edited:
Top Bottom