• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R1280T Powered Speaker Review

noiseboy

I bought a pair of these for my daughter but wow, I was disappointed. They suck the vocal and piano midrange and the 2kHz -4kHz attack and clarity right out of the mix. The sweet spot in the vertical plane is tiny which I think makes them pretty useless as desktop speaker. Yes they sound better with EQ but that's not an option for my daughter. The tweeters sound detached from the mid bass driver, I was tempted to open them up to see if the tweeter needed polarity swapping but I've packed them away and they are being returned.

But what do I replace them with? Erin's review of the MR4 wasn't that glowing but I found this YouTube site site that compared the R1280 to the R1080, not super scientific but you can hear some difference in voicing. So, I ordered the R1080BT, they arrived today and I'm so much happier with these. They may be a bit bright and the bass is about 6dB down at 60Hz compared with the R1280 but they are so much more enjoyable and cheaper too.

Lambdalorian

So, I ordered the R1080BT, they arrived today and I'm so much happier with these. They may be a bit bright and the bass is about 6dB down at 60Hz compared with the R1280 but they are so much more enjoyable and cheaper too.
How do you control the volume on these? What are the + and - on top for?

munin

Hey there!

I got a pair of the r1280db version since few days. And I have to say that...

No wait, a bit of context before: I am listening to music on a good speakers and good amps since quiet a long time now (probably around 20 years now). I am now using as my main system a pair of Celestion Ditton 44 from 1977 amplified by an Alientek D8. This result in a good system, but probably not the most accurate one.

Anyway, it's been ten years that I have this speakers, and I start to want to change. There is no rational reason behind it, just I want to have something different, maybe more accurate.

By looking over internet in a search on some amplified monitor: tbh I would like to have a good system wich sound good in my living room. A system which can be soft or punchy depending on the need. Wait I am going again on an another story, sorry.

So by looking for the Graal (hahaha) I came accross this little speakers and my curiosity got catch. I mean so many reviews on this, and the review and feedback here. I had to try!

After a while i found a good offer on the second hand market that I made even a better offer. :p
Believe or not, but here in France, this speakers are selling super fast on the second hand market.

So here I am, I open the box, plug the things, first try to use the blurtooth, oh and good surprise, the bluetooth on this speaker is not only SBC but also SBC XQ (wich is superior to APTX-HD apparently here ). I start to play some music it's sound ok, but not so awesome either. Even If I already knew it won't replace my main setup, I was expecting more. I try some EQ from Malki and Pierre, it's better but still not what my brain was awaiting since all this review: f*cking brain.

So I leaved them there for the time of eating and watching a movie, later in the evenning, my brain was calling, I had to try them again. So I set them on my desk on each side of the screen and elevate them in front to have them looking at me. I plug them on the computer using the line out and the mini jack. And start to play some musique, with Malki EQ. Damn, it's not the same story anymore! I took off the grill (sorry if I am not using the correct word) it's even better, or at least it seems to be. I finally ended to listen two hours of musing when I was supposed to go to bed.

If I have to say, on a total subjectiv way, because I am not as good as you and I can't take any measurements. But set like this on a near field, making the triangle with ears. It's really surprinsgly good! The separations of instruments, the stereo, man it's wide! The bass is good. Yes I like them.

To day I gave them again a chance in the living room but pluged on a line out, not in bluetooth and it was better. Still can't replace my main system (I mean the bass woofer of th RT is the size of the medium of my Celestion, where the size of the woofer is 12 inch).

So as far as I can tell if you use this speaker for what they are meant for: a set of desk speakers, place them fine. You'll be happy, certainly even more for the price. If I would have this kind of things when I was a teenger, my life would have been better!

I will have to try more the DAC of this speaker, I don't know yet what to think as I only entry line input and the bluetooth. Maybe I will also try to use my dac instead of the line out of the motherboard (At least I am on Linux, I don't have any shit things messing with the sound in the OS).

If I would have to complain about few things:
- please Edifier do something for the bluetooth.
- The killer moove would be to add a USB port to plug it straght to the computer!
- Everybody would add extra money for a 5 inch woofer. I think it's hard to make real bass under 5 inch speaker size.
( - Maybe a better intagrated DAC? :p )

Okay sorry for this long post, hope it will help some people.
And thanks for all your awesome reviews over here. I prayed to find somewhere where I would have scientifc review with measurment and knowing the limitation. Thanks again, really.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Three years later, do we have another active that is available worldwide, costs about the same and measures better? I haven't found any.

crappypanther

Three years later, do we have another active that is available worldwide, costs about the same and measures better? I haven't found any.
I recently tried Edifier/Hecate G2000. And it is much much much better than 1280 for the same price. I like it even more than Iloud MM.
A single woofer, which FR is corrected with an internal dsp. BUT it is advisable to plug the port and add a subwoofer (connection available).

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently tried Edifier/Hecate G2000. And it is much much much better than 1280 for the same price. I like it even more than Iloud MM.
A single woofer, which FR is corrected with an internal dsp. BUT it is advisable to plug the port and add a subwoofer (connection available).
Cheers. Have you seen any measurements?
I don't think i would enjoy full bandwidth woofers, they usually leave much to desire at higher frequencies.
But they are cute :cool:

As for closing the port, i suspect it's better to use EQ/DSP to not let it play lower frequencies in the first place. Usually distortion goes up if you close the port.

Fooly

@amirm

I recently buy this speakers, this are my first "quality" speakers so far and i try the EQ of @Maiky76 (btw great job) but i read that one user here prefer your EQ because it has more bass and in the EQ of Maiky i noticed that lack of bass too. Sooo, i want to try your EQ but since i'm relatively new in this topic i don't know how to pass your data in PEACE.

With Maiky it was easy because of the file text but i can't find it in your EQ, i hope someone can help me (nice review btw).

Maiky76

@amirm

I recently buy this speakers, this are my first "quality" speakers so far and i try the EQ of @Maiky76 (btw great job) but i read that one user here prefer your EQ because it has more bass and in the EQ of Maiky i noticed that lack of bass too. Sooo, i want to try your EQ but since i'm relatively new in this topic i don't know how to pass your data in PEACE.

With Maiky it was easy because of the file text but i can't find it in your EQ, i hope someone can help me (nice review btw).

If I am not mistaken, the original EQ is as folow:

Code:
Edifier R1280T APO EQ
October222020-094840

Preamp: -2.6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 95.5 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 2.72
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 168.5 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.45
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1167 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.25
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1550 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 2.57
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2086 Hz Gain 1.71 dB Q 3.37
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3371 Hz Gain -1.71 dB Q 2.62
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4718 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 3.88
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7704 Hz Gain -4.12 dB Q 2.98
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10002 Hz Gain -3.16 dB Q 2
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 12017 Hz Gain -0.71 dB Q 3
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 16397 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 3.49

You can edit then copy-and-past the code into a .txt file.
For example, you can change the first filter by either deleting it

Code:
Edifier R1280T APO EQ

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 168.5 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.45
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1167 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.25
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1550 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 2.57
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2086 Hz Gain 1.71 dB Q 3.37
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3371 Hz Gain -1.71 dB Q 2.62
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4718 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 3.88
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7704 Hz Gain -4.12 dB Q 2.98
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 10002 Hz Gain -3.16 dB Q 2
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 12017 Hz Gain -0.71 dB Q 3
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 16397 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 3.49

Or keep it but set it to "0dB" so it does nothing.
You can after tune the gain of the Filter 1 and Filter 2 to what ever value you want provided you recalculate the Preamp gain,
if the the EQ filter has a higher amplification peak that the one I originally designed to avoid potential digital clipping (clicks).

Code:
Edifier R1280T APO EQ
October222020-094840

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 95.5 Hz Gain -0.0 dB Q 2.72

Fooly

Thanks @Maiky76 ;)

And I see amirm EQ only has 3 filters but I don't see what values he uses in the preamp.

My question is: ¿Why amirm only uses three filters and you used 11 filters?. I want to know more.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Maiky76 ;)

And I see amirm EQ only has 3 filters but I don't see what values he uses in the preamp.

My question is: ¿Why amirm only uses three filters and you used 11 filters?. I want to know more.
Can't really answer for @amirm, but i guess he thought it's good enough, we know he has a tight schedule, he probably hastily got the next speaker for measurement set up.
I highly recommend you get a UMIK1 next, then you can use REW to make measurements and design EQ settings yourself. I know it looks pricey, but it opens an entirely new world.

Welcome to ASR :cool:

flexy123

Hello, I just got these used for 50 EUR after reading many reviews, including this here.
Of course, I also got and activated the EQ settings, thanks to @Maiky76 !!

My first, subjective personal impression:

They are ok/decent as a replacement for "toy PC speakers" and also do a good job for music, but HIGHLY dependant on genre.

I found dynamic music like newer POP, Jazz etc. pretty good, with sufficient bass and generally pleased with the sound.
But turns to a mush with highly compressed "loud" music, for example Rock, Power Metal. Still needs more testing and I also need to experiment with speaker placement.
For 50 EUR ok/decent.

flexy123

I barely use these now since the sound out of them is (mostly) un-inspiring and lacks power. It's simply not fun to listen to music with these.
I just did a direct comparison of music from Echo Gen 2, and then using these on the AUX output. (As if Amazon Echo would be anywhere near a passable sound system, lol)

I know this is subjective and a matter of taste, but even my Amazon Echo sounds better (even significantly so) than these.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you probably have measurement to show us that? :)
LOL, the Echo probably IS WAY better https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...n-echo-4-teardown-and-few-measurements.40636/
index.php

StewieBiatch

If I am not mistaken, the original EQ is as folow:

Code:
Edifier R1280T APO EQ
October222020-094840

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 95.5 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 2.72

You can edit then copy-and-past the code into a .txt file.
For example, you can change the first filter by either deleting it

Code:
Edifier R1280T APO EQ

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 168.5 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.45
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1167 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.25
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1550 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 2.57
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2086 Hz Gain 1.71 dB Q 3.37
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3371 Hz Gain -1.71 dB Q 2.62
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4718 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 3.88
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7704 Hz Gain -4.12 dB Q 2.98
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 10002 Hz Gain -3.16 dB Q 2
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 12017 Hz Gain -0.71 dB Q 3
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 16397 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 3.49

Or keep it but set it to "0dB" so it does nothing.
You can after tune the gain of the Filter 1 and Filter 2 to what ever value you want provided you recalculate the Preamp gain,
if the the EQ filter has a higher amplification peak that the one I originally designed to avoid potential digital clipping (clicks).

Code:
Edifier R1280T APO EQ
October222020-094840

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 95.5 Hz Gain -0.0 dB Q 2.72
First of all i would like to thank you Maiky76 for such amount of info. Secondly i must apologize because i am total newby in "higher grade" audio and i definitely do not understand half of the info you guys are talking about but i did get your QE into APO and EDIFIERs sounds like a lot better than original settings. One thing i do not get - why use Preamp -2.6 dB? If i understand that right, you get down the "main power" to "clear" other Hz? Or why would you want to set gain down?
EDIT: Using this EQ should be set with the knobs on the side on "0"? Or should i add trebles and bass there?

Maiky76

First of all i would like to thank you Maiky76 for such amount of info. Secondly i must apologize because i am total newby in "higher grade" audio and i definitely do not understand half of the info you guys are talking about but i did get your QE into APO and EDIFIERs sounds like a lot better than original settings. One thing i do not get - why use Preamp -2.6 dB? If i understand that right, you get down the "main power" to "clear" other Hz? Or why would you want to set gain down?
EDIT: Using this EQ should be set with the knobs on the side on "0"? Or should i add trebles and bass there?

The preamp gain is needed to avoid digital clipping.

When the volume of the PC is set to max (0dBfs) AND if the preamp gain is set to 0dB the EQ will exceed 0dBfs by ~2.6dB.
That will cause artifacts clicks and/or nasty clipping/broken/distorted sound at the frequencies where the gain exceeds 0dBFs.

To avoid this a preamp gain is calculated that under no circumstances the EQ exceeds 0dBfs i.e. -2.6dB.
It is important to respect it and adjust it if you further boost in some EQ bands.

If you import the settings then you should not to change anything.

flexy123

If you use EQ (such as Equalizer APO with Peace GUI), you will normally lower or boost some frequencies. Say you boost bass 5db, so you lower preamp -5 db, otherwise peak level could be +5db too high at some point, and you would get distortion (clipping).

StewieBiatch

Thank you both, guys. I do understand now. May i ask you what Hz are "highs" (not sure how to specify in en...vocals) and basses?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you both, guys. I do understand now. May i ask you what Hz are "highs" (not sure how to specify in en...vocals) and basses?
Actually a good question, but a bit off-topic in this thread. Anyway, the gist of it is, there are no hard boundaries, everyone has their own definitions.

This is a nice article on the topic from the viewpoint of a recording engineer:

For me this is good enough:
main-qimg-5155a8f40cfd289c59439651c1a664ef-pjlq

Bass up to 200/300Hz, highs from maybe 3kHz to the top of what we can hear. Again, everyone has his own definitions.

Top Bottom