• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R1280T Powered Speaker Review

TheNewUnion

Thanks all, I am going to reinstall APO later and try e.g. -12dB preamp to see if anything happens. I will report back.

(I have to admit, I have no idea what WASAPI and ASIO are)

TheNewUnion

If you are running Windows 10, chances are you have to go into the "Troubleshooting Options" that EqualizerAPO's Configurator offers and select "Install as SFX/EFX (exprimental)" for the output device. The default of LFX/GFX will not work.
Ahh, interesting. I didn't get around to reinstalling it last night. I will look out for this when I reinstall and see what happens. Thanks.

Job done, EQ now works and I am playing with the settings to find something more appealing to my ears. I'm using one of the presets someone detailed earlier in this thread and initial listen suggests improvement!

Last edited:

movehome

These speakers are great - thanks for the review and recommendation. I love the size and having nice sounding speakers on my desk for once. I recently tried a pair of $100 Creative brand speakers but they were so bad. These Edifiers are so much better and I haven't even EQ'd them yet.

movehome

I have a couple questions related to @Maiky76 post and suggestions.

Maiky stated that "the vertical directivity is rather poor because of the high Xover point" and also "best to listen off axis at +15/20deg." Here's the graph posted with these suggestions below.

Does this mean that vertically, the speakers should be in line with/pointed at your ears, but then horizontally they should be angled out a bit so they're not directed right at you?

Thanks for any replies! My impressions so far using Roon EQ are good but the speakers do seem a bit bass heavy (the bass could be tighter? might just be speaker placement on my desk..), so I'm going to try the other EQ with reduced bass.
Edifier R1280T 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Maiky stated that "the vertical directivity is rather poor because of the high Xover point" and also "best to listen off axis at +15/20deg." Here's the graph posted with these suggestions below.

Does this mean that vertically, the speakers should be in line with/pointed at your ears, but then horizontally they should be angled out a bit so they're not directed right at you?
Yes, exactly right in both cases.

Glint

just posting to say that I have these speakers and fully agree with the findings.

They are good 'making some sound' speakers once you, as people have pointed out, fiddle with the tone controls, and listening off axis certainly helps keep things pleasant :) 'Stock' I borderline hated them. I use them either side of my bed for ambient noise/audiobooks.

movehome

I got a single Tannoy 402 and have been A/B'ing it with the EQ'd Edifier. The Tannoy is a lot better and sounds much more like an actual "hi-fi" speaker. The Edifier sounds fuzzy/unclear/hazy in comparison. The Tannoy has an aux input, so I've been plugging that into the headphone jack on my Topping dac/amp, while using the RCA to connect to the Edifier. This makes A/B'ing really easy since I just press a button on the remote and it switches over.

The Tannoy is more expensive though - $100 CAD for a single speaker, while I got the Edifiers for $90 for the pair. Both were open-box Amazon prices.

One similarity is the size/footprint, while one difference is the weight. The Tannoy is much heavier.

In the online reviews for the Tannoy, people complain about hiss. On my speaker there's a hiss/buzz sound but it's inaudible in my environment unless my ear is within 10 inches or so of the speaker.

Last edited:

xavx

I've been eyeing these speakers given their low price and wondering if they would be an improvement in sound quality after EQ compared to Logitech Z906, Z5500 or Z5400 for music listening. Anyone having both and able to share their opinions ?

crappypanther

I've been eyeing these speakers given their low price and wondering if they would be an improvement in sound quality after EQ compared to Logitech Z906, Z5500 or Z5400 for music listening. Anyone having both and able to share their opinions ?
Don't buy these crappy speakers, if you want to listen to music. It's just money down the drain. Better buy iloud Micro Monitors, Fluid Audio F4, Mackie CR4.. or something like this

xavx

Don't buy these crappy speakers, if you want to listen to music. It's just money down the drain. Better buy iloud Micro Monitors, Fluid Audio F4, Mackie CR4.. or something like this
Lol, you mean don't buy the crappy recommended speakers ? Checking the 3 you mentionned, the CR4X are available and same price as these Edifier. In what way are these Edifiers that bad compared to the CR4 ? Just read an Amazon review comparing both and they seem to be on par.
Just to clarify, I already have Logitech Z5400 (tad less powerful than Z5500 & Z906) for more than 10 years. No need to judge these :)

crappypanther

Lol, you mean don't buy the crappy recommended speakers ?
Who recommends Edifier R1280T ? Amirm? He decided it was ok for 100 bucks.
But I wouldn't listen to it even if I got paid for it.
Mackie, Fluid, iLoud... pretty much anything would be better than R1280.. Or Tannoy 402 for example.
But personally, I wish you to choose exactly the recommended R1280T.
"Recommended" - this will be your main thought while listening to music

xavx

Who recommends Edifier R1280T ? Amirm? He decided it was ok for 100 bucks.
But I wouldn't listen to it even if I got paid for it.
Mackie, Fluid, iLoud... pretty much anything would be better than R1280.. Or Tannoy 402 for example.
But personally, I wish you to choose exactly the recommended R1280T.
"Recommended" - this will be your main thought while listening to music
No need to be sarcastic :) I want recommended speakers with or without PEQ but the "recommended by Amir" label won't convince me if they sound bad. I'll wait for few days to get other potential reactions then order the CR4 and Tannoy402.
Am just looking for powered desktop speakers having an optimal price performance ratio for maximum 200€/$

crappypanther

It looks like the woofer doesn't have a crossover at all. :facepalm:
Woofer breakup to your ears :oops:
Edifier R1280T Powered PC Desktop Computer Speaker Woofer Port Tweeter Frequency Response  Mea...png

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
@crappypanther
Correct, it doesn't have a crossover, there is only a cap for the tweeter.

Mho

I have a pair of these speakers on the way with the following inputs planned: PC, chromecast audio (for google integration), PC #2. I'm trying to understand how to get the best/same sound out of all.

Based on what I've read in this thread the use of EQ is pretty important to make these speakers sound their best. For the main PC I have full rights and can EQ based on the settings described previously. The chromecast has rudimentary treble/bass settings but that's it. On PC #2 I cannot install software EQ.

If I don't want the latter inputs above to sound like crap am I stuck with using the bass/treble knobs on the speakers to make all sound "ok", but none sound "good" (via true EQ settings)? Is there any inexpensive upstream box I can insert that supports custom EQ that I could run all my inputs into, EQ there, then run its output to the speakers? I've been looking at small DACs and don't see any that allow settable EQ at custom frequencies.

These will be pure desktop speakers in my home office. I'm sitting 2-3' away and don't need a ton of volume, though at times I do pull back to 6' or so for gaming. The alternative I've also looked at is an amp (e.g. A7 or AD18) and passive speakers but that doesn't solve the custom EQ issue as far as I can tell, and part of the draw to active speakers is minimizing desk space (no amp/DAC/etc).

I'm a bit lost here so appreciate any advice!

crappypanther

I have a pair of these speakers on the way with the following inputs planned: PC, chromecast audio (for google integration), PC #2. I'm trying to understand how to get the best/same sound out of all.

Based on what I've read in this thread the use of EQ is pretty important to make these speakers sound their best. For the main PC I have full rights and can EQ based on the settings described previously. The chromecast has rudimentary treble/bass settings but that's it. On PC #2 I cannot install software EQ.

If I don't want the latter inputs above to sound like crap am I stuck with using the bass/treble knobs on the speakers to make all sound "ok", but none sound "good" (via true EQ settings)? Is there any inexpensive upstream box I can insert that supports custom EQ that I could run all my inputs into, EQ there, then run its output to the speakers? I've been looking at small DACs and don't see any that allow settable EQ at custom frequencies.

These will be pure desktop speakers in my home office. I'm sitting 2-3' away and don't need a ton of volume, though at times I do pull back to 6' or so for gaming. The alternative I've also looked at is an amp (e.g. A7 or AD18) and passive speakers but that doesn't solve the custom EQ issue as far as I can tell, and part of the draw to active speakers is minimizing desk space (no amp/DAC/etc).

I'm a bit lost here so appreciate any advice!
«how to get the best/same sound out of all»… - sell these, buy Iloud micro monitors - it has flat frequency response by default and has bluetooth

Mho

«how to get the best/same sound out of all»… - sell these, buy Iloud micro monitors - it has flat frequency response by default and has bluetooth
I have looked at them but they do not meet my needs for connectivity.

xavx

In case it can help anyone, I picked these 1280T along with the MR4 for testing. I found the 1280T being able to go lower in bass with good punch and no sign of distortion at 80dB (which is very loud at 1 meter). However, I didn't find good horizontal directivity at all. Sound seems to come out from 3 points in front of you (left, center and right). On the other hand, the MR4 gives an enveloping sound coming from the front and the sides.
Found the 1280T without EQ worse than my Logitech 5.1 kit but better with EQ while the MR4 was already better without EQ.
Now I'm wondering if a pair of 2nd hand JBL 305 would justify twice the price of the MR4 especially with that possible loud hiss/buzz

Top Bottom