• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did you get vaccinated for Covid-19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Had my first (AZ) a couple of weeks ago. Only side-effect was an overwhelming desire for Sausage, Egg, Bacon (well done), Chips and Beans – unobtainable as all the caffs are shut :(

Oh, and a slightly runny nose for a couple of days.

Entirely anecdotally, side-effects seem greater amongst those of my acquaintance who (may) have had the virus.

orangejello

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_death_rates_by_country

"... in the United States the case fatality rate is 0.003%, 0.02%; 0.5% and 5.4% for the age groups 0–19, 20–49, 50–69, and 70 or over, respectively "

So is that why in NYC, possibly the epicenter of the US in regards to covid. All the resources put into converting the Javitts center into an overflow hospital, and the deployment of the USNS Comfort hospital ship. All went mostly unused?

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...avits-and-on-navy-ship-have-been-largely-empt

Is that half a million more deaths, or half a million deaths attributed to covid even though those people would've died from some other preexisting condition? I tried researching, but couldn't find a definicause aging is a pre-existing condition”tive answer, so the truth is likely between the two extremes.
You obviously have some strange agenda here. Been drinking Q-aid lately? It‘s like saying “I just died of COVID-19, but don’t add me to the death toll ‘cause aging is a pre-existing condition and I would have died of old age anyway ”.

To know the effect of COVID-19 you can look at the delta between mortality year over year. Preliminary results that I have seen suggest that we are likely significantly undercounting the effect of COVID-19.

Done commenting on this nonsense.

Old Listener

Let's keep this one from deteriorating please.

I don't care (much) about drift, unless it is the standard political drift that seems inevitable with these threads on a global forum. Problems related to the unfairness of the world need to be left elsewhere.

This thread went off track because of one person's injection of his personal and rather political opinion about handling the COVID-19 pandemic. A forum named "Audio Science Review" deserves better moderation than occasional requests like "children, play nice".

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in the Netherlands here they vaccinate in a sequence only the sequence changes every day, the group who has the best lobby goes first. with the speed now we will be done in about 15 years.
I suppose the same is happening in every country. Lobby groups, politicians and authorities, everyone wants to go first. Where there is need and scarcity, human kind never fails to be selfish...

orangejello

There is a lot of it. Tons, actually. Just because you don't understand it or don't know it exists does not make it so.

I'm not gonna continue further with you on this. You just don't have a grasp of what this virus can do and what it would do completely unchecked. I suggest you do some reading. There are a lot of good peer reviewed journal articles available now. Before we take this into political territory, you really need to educate yourself on this virus.
I share your frustration. Unfortunately this is not a one off case. We have an epidemic of scientific illiteracy (to put it kindly) to contend with in addition to COVID.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Entirely anecdotally, side-effects seem greater amongst those of my acquaintance who (may) have had the virus.

Actually, this is quite expected. Chances are even good those people would not benefit much from the second dose. The second dose is suspected to have more side effects anyway. If you've already had Covid, the first dose already gives a bigger immune response, hence a bit more side effects. See

Last edited:

BostonJack

Editor
I share your frustration. Unfortunately this is not a one off case. We have an epidemic of scientific illiteracy (to put it kindly) to contend with in addition to COVID.

Amen to that. Massachusetts just turned on 65+ eligibility. With 70k doses and greater than one million newly eligible, it was, of course, a mess.
I tried four sites, three, including the gov vaccination appointment site were down (Heroku message, huh, is Heroku really the best scaling service out there?). the fourth referred me to a phone number, the phone number message referred me back to the site.

Its a Charlie Foxtrot. Will probably take weeks to get sorted out.

simplex

Not yet vaccinated, but absolutely willing to receive my shots as soon as possible. As I'm not yet 65, and asthma alone is not regarded an enhanced risk for serious COVID-19 disease, I'll most probably have to wait until June this year or so.

orangejello

I tried four sites, three, including the gov vaccination appointment site were down (Heroku message, huh, is Heroku really the best scaling service out there?). the fourth referred me to a phone number, the phone number message referred me back to the site.

Its a Charlie Foxtrot. Will probably take weeks to get sorted out.
Outsourcing with no accountability is part of the economic stimulus. I'd be embarrassed to acknowledge how much of my life is taken up with CF management. But then, what was it Voltaire said about this being "the best of all possible worlds"?;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As I'm not yet 65, and asthma alone is not regarded an enhanced risk for serious COVID-19 disease,
What idiot made that decision ???

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mrs. T and I had the second shot 2 weeks ago. I was drowsy for 2 days. She felt "off" for about 4 days.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My son in law has severe asthma and the same for him.
I was worried for him when I heard about Covid but presumably Asthmatics aren't at very serious risk or I am sure he would have been called for a vaccine and hasn't been, so I assume it isn't an idiot but a medical decision based on data.

simplex

In short: German health administration.
As I understand it, asthma can be a byeffect of other lung diseases like COPD, and this is on the list of risk factors regarding COVID in Germany. Allergies, which would be relevant for me, are not.
Personally, I'll consult my doctor soon anyway, before birches come to life again.
Stay negative when tested, stay positive in all other cases!

wwenze

Major Contributor
There seems to be an inverse relationship between vaccine acceptance and how Asian the country is.

VZaLNEg.jpg

But in our defense my country said we won't get to choose whether we get Pfizer or Sinovac.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do you know how weird that reads... ;)

Inadvertent due to reading so many such expressions on US forums. If I could edit the post I would say thankfully.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
A bit off-topic perhaps.

I have this friend of mine (40 years old) that got the COVID-19 twice, he got out of isolation 10 days ago. First time he did it in Oct.-Nov. last year (he probably got it from her wife who's Dr.), he got most of the symptoms: fever for about a week, headache and chills etc. He thought he got antibodies then and later he got a masseuse lady starting January to handle his back pains twice a week. From her he got the COVID-19 for the second time and it was even worse than the first time, so quite unexpected.

This is from the doctors and studies, not from me: getting COVID-19 may give you antibodies for 1 to 3 months, while getting vaccinated will give you antibodies for 8 to 12 months! This is why I got vaccinated recently. However, to ensure that I will not take and spread any viruses around, to the unvaccinated people, I'm still using hand alcohol when I get home from stores and office, wear masks every time when outside home or inside the office, sterilise everything I purchase from stores or online with >70% alcohol wipes or with UV-C light for about 15-20 min. (DIY big box with 18W Philips UV-C inside) and do nasal infiltrations when I get home from supermarkets or malls (even if I was wearing a mask, even if I am vaccinated). My kid is also washing his hands, face and the inside of his nose every time he gets back from the school (there is a dedicated spray for this with marine salt water).

COVID-19 is firstly multiplying inside our nose and sinuses, then later is getting into our lungs, so cleaning hands, face and the nose when we got home is the first line of defence for us in the first few hours after getting a virus.

Stay all safe and try not to infect others, as others may die because we infect them!

P.S.: I already lost my father in law because of people around not wearing masks and not washing their hands properly, so let's not do same mistakes ourselves.

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've received both doses of the Moderna vaccine. First was on January 11 and the second on Feb. 8. I had injection site soreness for two days with each jab. After the first dose, it did seem like I was a bit warm for couple days about two weeks afterwards. And I was really tired a couple days after the second dose. Other than that, not much in the way of adverse reaction. My wife had her two Moderna doses about a week before I did, and did not seem to have any adverse effect.

DanaGer

I got the second dose of Pfizer yesterday. I was a little out of it today with a mild headache but that could have been that I didn't have coffee. I did feel better after making a pot.
The relief I felt after getting the first shot was like huge weight was removed. Unfortunately the reality of the bathroom scale didn't agree.
The nurse said I'd be at full immunity in about 2 weeks. It will be so nice to go to the store and not feel so nervous about the guy behind me not social distancing.

jhwalker

Three members of our immediate family got it - two were hospitalized for almost a week, and the third stayed out of the hospital but was sick for six weeks and still experiencing symptoms - so it's definitely not something to mess with.

My husband and I both got Pfizer last week, expecting the second dose in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom