• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700H 2020 AVR Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my opinion the best choice right now is buying an Anthem, will see the new models.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, this has me frothing at the mouth to be able to do all this! A screenshot would be much appreciated.

Here's one that I just made up for demo. You can enter as many frequent as you want. Audyssey is still in charge of creating the necessary filters based on its own algorithm/methodology so you don't have to worry about messing things up. Unlike Yamaha's PEQ, you don't have to figure out the Q factors, because, again, the App simply allows you to do your own custom/house curve, and based on your target curve as modified by your manual entries, it will create the filters for you.

If you want to see some of the FR others managed to achieve using the App and the 3rd party Ratbuddyssey UI, I have users thread on AH:
https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...sers-thread-with-facts-and-tips.118005/page-6
Jon AA has done something wonderful in the high frequency range (see post#84).

1593260626615.png

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are sure Heos onboad uses the lackluster network DAC set? I guess that makes sense, just trying to confirm. Thanks.

100%, because I have seen the block diagrams for the X4500H. Not sure about the X4700H though most likely the same. The PCM5100A is a stereo (2Ch) DAC, so Z2/3 network will be limited to two channel, in direct/pure direct.

tparm

Forum Donor
100%, because I have seen the block diagrams for the X4500H. Not sure about the X4700H though most likely the same. The PCM5100A is a stereo (2Ch) DAC, so Z2/3 network will be limited to two channel, in direct/pure direct.
Thanks @peng Looks like an Audiolab 6000n will be on order soon.

davidc

Forum Donor
Here's one that I just made up for demo. You can enter as many frequent as you want. Audyssey is still in charge of creating the necessary filters based on its own algorithm/methodology so you don't have to worry about messing things up. Unlike Yamaha's PEQ, you don't have to figure out the Q factors, because, again, the App simply allows you to do your own custom/house curve, and based on your target curve as modified by your manual entries, it will create the filters for you.

If you want to see some of the FR others managed to achieve using the App and the 3rd party Ratbuddyssey UI, I have users thread on AH:
https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...sers-thread-with-facts-and-tips.118005/page-6
Jon AA has done something wonderful in the high frequency range (see post#84).

View attachment 70898

Yeah, this looks pretty cool. And, now that I have a powerful external amp for the front speakers, I don't have to get a more expensive AVR just because I'm chasing power. Love it.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For DLNA and Amazon Music HD it’s going through the cheaper PCM5100? That seems like a lost opportunity.

Agreed, they should have used the PCM5101 at the very least.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It looks like the AV8805 has the same limitation with the PCM5100. For Amazon Music HD, it looks like Anthem with DTS PlayFi critical listening is the only integrated option.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the AV8805 has the same limitation with the PCM5100. For Amazon Music HD, it looks like Anthem with DTS PlayFi critical listening is the only integrated option.

I believe they all do, even integrated amps such as the Yamaha A-S801. If you have the service manual, you will see that the A-s801's also show a second DAC, the PCM5101 that is a little better than the PCM5100A. The RX-A AVRs also have the PCM5101, that's why I commented that D+M should at least do the same. Denon does have the best main DACs for their flagship models, comparable to Yamha's flagship's ES9026 Pro, better than Anthem's MRX-1120's that has the same AK4458 found in the entry level Denon's X1600H, not that it is bad, just saying.. People are going to say "but its implementation that matters..", true, but then why save a couple of dollars on the chip?

Note that Yamaha's RX-A3070/80 actually have 3 different ones, the best one for the main 7 channels, a lower model for the height/Atoms channels and the 3rd one for the secondary zones.

Onkyo does the same thing as D+M for sure. NAD appears to have two different types of DAC onboard too. Anthem likely have done the same, put it this way, they even use weaker amps for some of the channels, but I have not seen any SM of theirs so I am only guessing.

Last edited:

rccarguy

Your reason for suggesting 2 subs even if the main speakers can handle the bass is because you can place the subs in the right areas to reduce room reflections and such?

Main speakers cannot handle bass from action movies. Not unless they have dedicated 10" subwoofers on them

Buy a sub

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe they all do, even integrated amps such as the Yamaha A-S801. If you have the service manual, you will see that the A-s801's also show a second DAC, the PCM5101 that is a little better than the PCM5100A. The RX-A AVRs also have the PCM5101, that's why I commented that D+M should at least do the same. Denon does have the best main DACs for their flagship models, comparable to Yamha's flagship's ES9026 Pro, better than Anthem's MRX-1120's that has the same AK4458 found in the entry level Denon's X1600H, not that it is bad, just saying.. People are going to say "but its implementation that matters..", true, but then why save a couple of dollars on the chip?

Note that Yamaha's RX-A3070/80 actually have 3 different ones, the best one for the main 7 channels, a lower model for the height/Atoms channels and the 3rd one for the secondary zones.

Onkyo does the same thing as D+M for sure. NAD appears to have two different types of DAC onboard too. Anthem like have done the same but I have not seen any SM of theirs so I am only guessing.
Since many would intend to use the receiver as their streamer, would it make sense to have @amirm test the Heos input via roon/airplay2? If it is shown to perform relatively poorly this might be another area for improvement in future models. Unless I am not understanding this completely (always possible) it would seem customers should have at least as good performance on the streaming/music HEOS input as the other inputs. It is advertised as HD Music.. it would be nice to see how it tests as for many music is as important or more important than even home theater.

John Galt

Forum Donor
Since many would intend to use the receiver as their streamer, would it make sense to have @amirm test the Heos input via roon/airplay2? If it is shown to perform relatively poorly this might be another area for improvement in future models. Unless I am not understanding this completely (always possible) it would seem customers should have at least as good performance on the streaming/music HEOS input as the other inputs. It is advertised as HD Music.. it would be nice to see how it tests as for many music is as important or more important than even home theater.

I‘d love to see AirPlay testing details since I play music exclusively over AirPlay via high quality sources (lossless/Amazon music FLAC etc). I only use the iOS Music app or Amazon Music HD, never HEOS because I like the native apps much better.

I often wonder if I’d get better audio quality via a third party AirPlay streaming device connected to an analog RCA input on my 3500 instead of streaming lossless AirPlay directly to the 3500.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
View attachment 69589

Notice how the peaks don't line up either indicating level errors versus frequency. This industry seemingly knows nothing about proper unit/corner case testing.

I don't know about the noise part but the peaks look suspiciously like a Target curve being applied with a room gain compensation. :) It would have been interesting to see a REW sweep of this unit with a loopback from pre-out to line in of a computer running REW (so cutting out the amp/speaker response). Normally you would expect a flat line in Direct mode and a peak curve like this with RoomEQ but...

If intentional, perhaps that is their new approach to designing for sound than purity a la Nelson Pass so even people using Direct Mode will find it warm and not harsh (a common criticism of these AVRs whether it is real or not). :)

If unintentional which is more likely (and it should have been caught in testing), could it be similar to the firmware bug I read in the review for the Emotiva here where they hadn't switched off all of the DSP processing when bypassing it? In addition to the noise from the new HDMI board, perhaps the DSP here isn't fully cut off in Direct Mode and so contributing its share of unintended stuff to the output especially if in some ill-configured state from the bug. Just speculating, of course.

Or may be I am understanding the graph incorrectly as to what it means in the peaks.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Main speakers cannot handle bass from action movies. Not unless they have dedicated 10" subwoofers on them

Buy a sub
Not just that, but even if your main speakers did have 10/12” dedicated subwoofers your AVR amp would be severely strained to drive them properly.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

Buy a sub

...Or organ music (Bach), synthesizer music (Hans Zimmer), electronic music (Daft Punk).

Buy two subs (minimum)

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
The way I see things in regard to the Denon 4700 receiver's measurements is this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship between the in-house technical measuring scientist engineer and Denon's audio engineering team department.

And this could also influence all other manufacturers of audio components (receivers, etc.); NAD, Arcam, Marantz, Anthem, Yamaha, Integra, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, ...
JBLSynthesis_SDR35_Hero_Web.png
Lexicon-AVR-RV-9-Front-A_RT-1605x1605px.png

Last edited:

rccarguy

Not just that, but even if your main speakers did have 10/12” dedicated subwoofers your AVR amp would be severely strained to drive them properly.

Not if they were active subwoofers. I've seen speakers with active subs built in. So won't sap avr power

rccarguy

...Or organ music (Bach), synthesizer music (Hans Zimmer), electronic music (Daft Punk).

Buy two subs (minimum)

I have one sub. If you want me to have duals you could always buy me the second matching one

Fillius

Forum Donor
I would think that if you have a streamer that has better specs than the AK4458, and if your option is to use it with the Denon, then it is best to use the analog inputs and direct/or pure direct mode. If you want to use the sub, you can still set XO but no DSP/Audyssey.
With this and the HDMI measurements in mind, I've built a RoPieee to use as a Roon endpoint and have ordered a Topping D50s.

I'm currently using a NUC via HDMI for Roon. It will be a shame to loose multi-channel for the few albums I have in 5.1, but it'll be interesting to compare the two different inputs/DACs.

I'm not expecting my X6700 to turn up for at least another week yet, possibly 2 or 3. Denon aren't shipping any of the new series to the UK yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom