• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on AVR - how would you spend your money?

CapMan

Major Contributor
agree that AVRs for critical music listening is silly concept. For many, it is a necessary evil until they have the resources and a dedicated space for 2 channel listening and separate components (assuming they are even in to that sort of thing).
I’m calling b>€shit on that statement. It’s a lazy, sweeping generalisation/audiophile caricature .

I’ve downsized from expensive HiFi separates to a Denon X4800 with no degradation I can hear. The measurements on the Denon suggest it’s plenty good enough to be audibly transparent in a real room, even more so with Dirac / Audyssey being used.

I have dealt with my listening room and am using speakers that measure well with very even dispersion.

Did you mean to say that only Marantz and Yamaha provide AVRs that are adequate for 2 channel music listening? The OP is looking for the best home theater receiver based on its 2 channel music performance.
"Any" top of the line AVR from "Any" major vendor will push more than enough of power to stereo speakers. If they don't push enough power for enjoyment. I want those speakers.

My CV SL-15s in stereo on the 8015 enjoy the experience. I can hit the ceiling on my setup of maximum quality sound when I try to push it, the problem if you can call it that, is I can only to listen to it for 5 to 10 minutes without ear protection. Again I regret nothing.

Hard to say the volume at the time. For it differs depending on speakers used, filters set or changes to the center channel.

Roughly i'd say it gets to about 50% power usage before I need to dial it back.

If i had to guess, its somewhere between -20 to +3 on the volume dial side, depending on the source, type, etc. It's a wide range for dial settings I know, roughly most of the time 80% -15 / to -8. +3 center. Ecomode off.
My setup 8015, 3x SL-15, 2x SL-12s, 2x SL-8s.

Caveat I do listen to it mostly in 7.0.

If the OP heard what happens when you put those speakers in extended stereo mode, I wouldn't need to explain my argument.

You could set the speakers in "stereo" placement around the TV and turn it on. It's just as fxcking deadly as "surround mode" or as I imagine atmos is as well.

I still stand by my point, get whichever brand, my preference is Marantz, their top of the line options firstly, second but it could be a coin toss, the top of the line Yamaha.

I see some want the denon clone. It's likely the close to the same effect as the marantz. The torrodial thingy, does help.

Last edited:
I’m calling b>€shit on that statement. It’s a lazy, sweeping generalisation/audiophile caricature .

I’ve downsized from expensive HiFi separates to a Denon X4800 with no degradation I can hear. The measurements on the Denon suggest it’s plenty good enough to be audibly transparent in a real room, even more so with Dirac / Audyssey being used.

I have dealt with my listening room and am using speakers that measure well with very even dispersion.
I’ve had excellent music experiences in my theater with DIRAC. But it could be even better if I pull my speakers out 3 feet from the walls. But my theater would look real weird and the space wouldn’t be as useable. Compromises are usually introduced when mixing theater and music listening. Not always though I suppose.

I’ve had excellent music experiences in my theater with DIRAC. But it could be even better if I pull my speakers out 3 feet from the walls. But my theater would look real weird and the space wouldn’t be as useable. Compromises are usually introduced when mixing theater and music listening. Not always though I suppose.

I was wondering about this as lots of reviews said they were closely priced and many threads I read said get the Marantz based on that fact. I think this might have been true in the UK until the December sales started where the Denon products seem to have gotten significant price cuts but the similar Marantz products haven't been as deeply discounted.

Am I correct in think th Marantz products are being priced one up vs their Denon counterparts as in the Cinema 50 (£1299) is actually closer to the X3800 (£899) and the Cinema 40 (£1899) is closer to the X4800 (£1449)? That being the case I think I'll eliminate the Marantz products as that is a significant mark up.

Denon AVR-X3800H (£899) / Marantz Cinema 60 (£999)
Denon AVC-X4800H (£1449) / Marantz Cinema 50 (£1299) / Denon AVC-X6700 (£1399)
Marantz Cinema 40 (£1899)
/ Marantz Cinema 70 (£679) + IOTAVX AVXP1 Power Amp (£1188) / Marantz SR8015 (£1599)

Effectively leaves the choice being Denon AVR-X3800H (£899) vs Denon AVC-X4800H (£1449). Can I justify that extra £550? That would get me a Monitor Audio Silver C250 7G centre speaker.
Don't even bother with those crappy center channels, go full size, always.

jjk

Forum Donor
My favorite music for "critical" listening is multichannel by far.

There are some mid priced Denons tested on here that offer cd quality reproduction in multi channel. Steven Wilson is one of the best mixers alive and he is doubtfully he can hear the difference past Redbook. He is the guy who mixes the stuff that makes you drop 10 k on a room. I don't remember the article but he said it recently. The whole two channel audio is the only valid way to critically listen to music is ending. The technology is totally leaning toward multichannel now and the ability to listen to it in an environment where the tech can correct the acoustics using the speakers is mind blowing.
Outstanding Steven Wilson reference!

rynberg

Forum Donor
So you make these sweeping generalizations because you can't pull your speakers out 3 feet from the walls? Um, OK.

thunderchicken

I actually moved from a Denon to an Anthem MRX. I got a B stock unit shipped under $1000 and haven’t had any trouble. ARC works great, was easy to set up, and now I just enjoy it. If you can find one of those deals, go for it.

hash70

you could do what I did,pick up a second av with all the latest trued/dolby atoms ect,use its pre outs only an nd then a used 7channel amp like arcam p1000 ,I got the arcam
7channel p1000 for £350,and Marantz 6012 av for £200

StigErik

Forum Donor
Don't even bother with those crappy center channels, go full size, always.
Compromising on the center channel is one of the biggest mistakes people do with home theatres. After all, it’s the most important speaker. Same with the surrounds - small speakers tucked away in less than ideal positions. Always try to have identical speakers for all channels in a surround system, and set them up properly in the room!

In most cases, stereo with two good speakers would be a lot better I think.

Top Bottom