• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What sort of impedance characteristics would cause real concern for a standard 4-16 Ohm rated AVR/amp? And if you have speakers that dip to....say 2 Ohms....then what should you look for if the amp is not declared as unconditionally stable down to 1 Ohm?
There are several issues...

1. at low impedances some amps become unstable, their circuits just aren't designed for the levels of current required, and the sound is affected - even though they are nowhere near their "power" limits overall
  2. Current, Current and more current - ultimately low impedances require current - and regardless how good the power amp circuit is, if the power supply (and the wall circuit potentially!) isn't supplying the required current it is all for nought
Sadly ( and this is why I keep harping on this) - 90% of manufacturers provide no data on an amps ability to handle loads below 4ohm, nor do they provide any information on current capabilities.

This means you end up in a guessing game.... you can get some hints eg: if it is a linear / transformer based power supply, the sheer weight/size of the transformer will provide a decent idea as to current capabilities. ( yes my old 58 pound AVR could handle my speakers where my current 20lb one does not.... not exactly scientific / quantifiable, but nevertheless it is a data point)

In a perfect world I want every manufacturer to provide a graph like this one, from the Quad 606 manual circa 1987(?):

Quad 606 power output.jpg

SloPoke

Forum Donor
peng, what do you think of the X3700H's ability to drive Revel M106 speakers effectively? To be even more specific, to drive two M106s, a C25 center and two M55XC's as surrounds?
A X3600H Denon has no problems driving my Revel M105, C25 and S16 surrounds. 2 SVS subs are taking lower signals (80hz and below). But, I didn't notice any struggle if ran system with the speakers getting full range signal and no subs.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
At low volumes, you are not going to run out of current. But with movies, getting that last bit of volume adds a lot of power requirement since the THX requirement was to do 3.2 ohms at reference level (which is why the standard had the phrase for a specific cu. ft room).

Consider the graph for the Quad 606:

Quad 606 power output.jpg

At 1 ohm you are down to 40W.... that calculates to 17.9V... translating into SPL @ 1m - that comes out to 93db continuous
(Peak is at 90W, 26.8V, around 96db peak.

So if your listening level is 75db average and you want to allow 20db for peaks.... you are probably fine! (but only just barely)

And this is a fairly robust 140W@8ohm power amp.... it squeaks in by the skin of its teeth. (yes it sounds good - I haven't tried to "push it" - as I used the Crown XLS2500 instead - rated at 1200W@2ohm)

An equivalent 100W amp - one step down from the 606 (eg: the older, 405...) would be out of its depth here, even though it is a separate, external, power amp - just not enough current to do the job, even at moderate SPL's.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Consider the graph for the Quad 606:
At 1 ohm you are down to 40W....

I don’t anyone is building a home theater powered by an AVR around Apogee Scintilla’s. :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I don’t anyone is building a home theater powered by an AVR around Apogee Scintilla’s. :)
Perhaps not... but about 12 years ago, I had a HT running Quad ESL's all around (4.0) - it sounded fabulous!

My mains now, drop down to a relatively "mild" 1.6 ohm.... and previous generation Onkyo/Integra flagship AVR's handled them OK. (Current generation doesn't have any true flagship models)

I have some degree of confidence that something like the A1H would be able to handle them (my current speakers) adequately... but I would not have the same trust of the X3800 and X4800.

davidc

Forum Donor
Trying to help out a friend here who just bought a AVR-X2700h and is hooking it up a little bit different than I have my Denon receiver. He's using a separate subwoofer, just a single one. Watching streaming movies, and also listens to regular stereo music. How should the subwoofer be hooked up to get both bass from the music and the movies?

I couldn't find a clear answer as to whether it should be hooked up to the sub out port on the AVR? Or the LFE port?

I'm thinking it's the sub out port... And that would provide bass for both regular stereo music? As well as all the low frequencies for movie soundtracks?

josefK666

I assume it's a powered sub? He should have two subwoofer pre-outs on the AVR (to connect to the sub with a single RCA for up to two subwoofers). Connect that to the sub on one of the line level inputs. On the sub put the gain/volume around halfway and any sub crossover setting to maximum.

In the AVR menu:-
Set all speakers to Small.
Any LPF of LFE set to 120Hz.
Any sub setting for 'LFE' or 'LFE+Mains' should be left at 'LFE'.
Left/Centre/Right speakers typically will start with crossovers around 80Hz - Surround/Atmos speakers will be higher, 100-120Hz typically. All depends on the speakers, your room and your taste. Or his.

Start there and then your friend can adjust as he sees fit. I'd suggest he runs Audyssey when he's got everything up and running.

Hope that helps...

Fahzz

Forum Donor
This is what I found for most recent update. I set it up a couple of months ago-did at least one update maybe two. you can find this on your receiver's webpage .

Version6420-2044-8151-1070
-DTS Version3.90.50.82

500Homeruns

This is what I found for most recent update. I set it up a couple of months ago-did at least one update maybe two. you can find this on your receiver's webpage .

Version6420-2044-8151-1070
-DTS Version3.90.50.82

Ok. Thanks.
I have the same for DTS, but I have 6420-2044-8172-1070.

SlowCar

I am looking for help with setting things up in best manner but I have trouble with 2 specific settings, maybe it's even impossible to set up so let me know.

Devices needed to be set up:

1. PS5
2. XSX
3. PC
4. Switch
5. Apple TV 4k
6. PS VR

I have Sony 85XH9096 (XH900 in US), which has two hdmi 2.1 - one of them is eARC where I connect Denon 3700. So on tv I have one hdmi 2.1 free. On Denon there is plenty of hdmi inputs, but only one is 2.1

I think that the best results would give me connecting consoles and pc (for gaming) through hdmi 2.1 because of VRR.

Currently setup is:

Denon to hdmi 2.1 number 3 in Sony (eARC)

PC to hdmi 2.1 number 4 in Sony (audio through eARC goes to home theater)

XSX to hdmi 2.1 in AVR

Rest of devices to the rest of Denon inputs.

However issue is - Sony tv doesn't detect correct picture mode for consoles connected through Denon - I have to manually change it to Game Mode. Is there possibility to automatize it?

Next problem is that I have to assign what kind of extension for hdmi 2.1 I want to have in Sony tv - I can choose between VRR (which gives also 4k120Hz) or Dolby Vision for one hdmi input. That's a trouble because I want to have dolby vision when I use Apple TV, and Vrr when I use console. Is there a way to achieve it/automatize it?

If above options are nonexisting - is there a way to create some kind of one-button setting in tv remote for changing between picture modes?

Another option is to connect PS5/XSX/PC directly to tv - I will lose one hdmi 2.1 but this way I can set up fixed picture mode for all three hdmi to the game, and for the eARC hdmi I will set up Dolby Vision Picture Mode. Minor issue is I will have to change it for some games on switch - but I can handleit - it's still better than currently. Major issue is - only one gaming device will be connected through hdmi 2.1

If so which one to choose? I have never played on consoles through hdmi 2.1 so I don't what to expect. Definietely I don' need 120Hz. The only thing that I have issue with is horizontal stuttering sometimes on PC while gaming - is there a possibility that VRR would fix it? If so that would be my go to hdmi 2.1 connection.

SlowCar

I have turnatble connected to Denon 3700. But it seems that subwoofer is not working while listening from phono source. The same for audyssey. Anyone have reliable source of information about that? On the Denon site I can't find anything about that.

Persik

I have turnatble connected to Denon 3700. But it seems that subwoofer is not working while listening from phono source. The same for audyssey. Anyone have reliable source of information about that? On the Denon site I can't find anything about that.
I also use turntable with my 3700. Subwoofer is used only if you define your front speakers as “small” (i.e. enabling bass management). Otherwise it will send the entire signal to fronts. You can use the Denon AVR remote app to see which speakers the signal is sent to.

Also, if the listening volume is low, or the record does not have much lower range, your subwoofer might not “wake up” from standby mode. However, the app will still show that signal is sent to sub.

SlowCar

In the application there is indication that sub is working. Maybe it is not turning on as You have said.
What about audyssey?

delta76

Major Contributor
I am looking for help with setting things up in best manner but I have trouble with 2 specific settings, maybe it's even impossible to set up so let me know.

Devices needed to be set up:

1. PS5
2. XSX
3. PC
4. Switch
5. Apple TV 4k
6. PS VR

I have Sony 85XH9096 (XH900 in US), which has two hdmi 2.1 - one of them is eARC where I connect Denon 3700. So on tv I have one hdmi 2.1 free. On Denon there is plenty of hdmi inputs, but only one is 2.1

I think that the best results would give me connecting consoles and pc (for gaming) through hdmi 2.1 because of VRR.

Currently setup is:

Denon to hdmi 2.1 number 3 in Sony (eARC)

PC to hdmi 2.1 number 4 in Sony (audio through eARC goes to home theater)

XSX to hdmi 2.1 in AVR

Rest of devices to the rest of Denon inputs.

However issue is - Sony tv doesn't detect correct picture mode for consoles connected through Denon - I have to manually change it to Game Mode. Is there possibility to automatize it?

Next problem is that I have to assign what kind of extension for hdmi 2.1 I want to have in Sony tv - I can choose between VRR (which gives also 4k120Hz) or Dolby Vision for one hdmi input. That's a trouble because I want to have dolby vision when I use Apple TV, and Vrr when I use console. Is there a way to achieve it/automatize it?

If above options are nonexisting - is there a way to create some kind of one-button setting in tv remote for changing between picture modes?

Another option is to connect PS5/XSX/PC directly to tv - I will lose one hdmi 2.1 but this way I can set up fixed picture mode for all three hdmi to the game, and for the eARC hdmi I will set up Dolby Vision Picture Mode. Minor issue is I will have to change it for some games on switch - but I can handleit - it's still better than currently. Major issue is - only one gaming device will be connected through hdmi 2.1

If so which one to choose? I have never played on consoles through hdmi 2.1 so I don't what to expect. Definietely I don' need 120Hz. The only thing that I have issue with is horizontal stuttering sometimes on PC while gaming - is there a possibility that VRR would fix it? If so that would be my go to hdmi 2.1 connection.
HDMI 2.1 switch is more and more available these days. you can buy one and plug your xsx/ps5 into it, then to your avr. other devices to other 2.0 ports

Top Bottom