• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

SlowCar

HDMI 2.1 switch is more and more available these days. you can buy one and plug your xsx/ps5 into it, then to your avr. other devices to other 2.0 ports
I will try switch - but directly to tv. Connecting switch to receiver still doesn't solve picture mode problem.

hipis_1

Hi.
Where are any information about firmware updates? My x3700 was just update but I'd like to know more details. I can't find anything on Denon webpage.

For a 3.1/3.2 system would the X3700H be overkill?

I’ve been reading about AVRs and people often recommend the SR760H or X1700H for 3.1/3.2, stating that the X3700H is a waste if you’re not using more channels, 7.2 for example.

I’m considering the X3700H because it has Audyssey XT32.

delta76

Major Contributor

I’ve been reading about AVRs and people often recommend the SR760H or X1700H for 3.1/3.2, stating that the X3700H is a waste if you’re not using more channels, 7.2 for example.

not really. x1700h only has one sub output iirc, you need at least x2700h for 2 sub. and yes xt32 is a big step up.
if you are not using hdmi 2.1, then used older versions like x3600h or even x3400h/x3500h would work just as well

dlaloum

Major Contributor

Not at all...

Firstly it will behave as a more powerful amplifier - when driving only 2 channels, it puts out more power and current into those channels.
Secondly it is the lowest ranked AVR in the range that has the full powered Room EQ and Sub EQ capabilities - these will help regardless how many channels you run.

GalZohar

3700 is the cheapest receiver with proper room EQ system (XT32) so even for just 2 speakers it wouldn't be overkill. Maybe you'll be paying for features you aren't using, but you'll also be paying for useful features that you can't really get in a cheaper device. Plus I think it's the cheapest one with individual delays for 2 subwoofers.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In summary:
1. If your amp requires more than 1.4 Volts for full output and you want to drive the front 2 only, then setting the x3700h to 11 channel will give you a clean 2 channel output for the front 2
2. If your amp needs more than 1.4 volts and you want to drive all your channels externally you set the x3700h to preamp mode which disconnects the internal amps for the front 2 channels from the pre amp stage.
3. If your amp needs more than 1.4 volts and you want to drive the surrounds or Center channel but not all channels with an external amp the higher denon model is for you as it lets you selectively disconnect channels
4. If your amp needs less than 1.4 volts for full output for any channel and any combination you need to do nothing. The x3700h works out of the box as the pre outs are always active and the internal amps won’t reach their limit before your external amps.
I think in number two you mean all channels don't you?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Is there a way to equalize volume among the various inputs i.e. HDMI vs. CD for example? There's a big difference when I switch from music to to TV(Roku). Thanks.

hipis_1

Hi.
Where are any information about firmware updates? My x3700 was just update but I'd like to know more details. I can't find anything on Denon webpage.
Anyone? My x3700 has just been updated again but I can't find any info what was improved etc.

Phidel

Finally I bought this receiver for my Elacs DBR62, any tip to get the best sound performance in a 2.1 setup?

rccarguy

?

I bought this AVR for that.

Typically stereo amps have better sq. that's subjective opinion which won't go down well on this site

Although avr have room EQ and bass management which'll help with subwoofer integration, and directing bass from speakers to the sub

Phidel

Typically stereo amps have better sq. that's subjective opinion which won't go down well on this site

Although avr have room EQ and bass management which'll help with subwoofer integration, and directing bass from speakers to the sub

After read a lot, this 3700H seems to be all I'm looking for, good sound, low distorsion, sub management, good room correction, etc. this is the reason I returned the Marantz nr1200 and I bought the Denon.

rccarguy

Standard thing for AVR is run room calibration, then manually change speaker crossovers to small 80hz (check with your speakers low bass response), LPF to 120hz, set the room correction cut off to around 300hz. Try the various settings like flat/reference. Disable night mode/dynamic range compression.

Phidel

Standard thing for AVR is run room calibration, then manually change speaker crossovers to small 80hz (check with your speakers low bass response), LPF to 120hz, set the room correction cut off to around 300hz. Try the various settings like flat/reference. Disable night mode/dynamic range compression.
Thanks for the tips man! I will try it when I receive it.

In the other hand, where I can find a good or best EQ for the DBR62 + 10.2S combo?

rccarguy

Being bookshelf you'll want them to around 80hz. On the website it says 44Hz – 35000Hz

I call BS on that, as there is no +/- 3db figure, and that 35khz treble response is way too high, so they probably use 10db +/- figure. Speakers of that size, driver size usually around 55hz

If you have REW and UMIK you can find out actual response. If you have a massive dip or drop low down, look into placement etc.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Finally I bought this receiver for my Elacs DBR62, any tip to get the best sound performance in a 2.1 setup?

Here's a basic guide for Audyssey setup that you might find useful:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After read a lot, this 3700H seems to be all I'm looking for, good sound, low distorsion, sub management, good room correction, etc. this is the reason I returned the Marantz nr1200 and I bought the Denon.
You did well in your choice. Don’t let him fool you without proof.

As for setup, there is no preset optimal recommended parameters for your speaker AVR combination. It is all room dependent. As you are new, let Audyssey do its thing. Set your main speakers to Small so Audyssey does the xover to the sub (80hz is a good start). Be as precise as possible to setup your speakers symmetrically and the first measurement position precisely in between (I use one of these cheap laser distance meters). Vary mic position as Audyssey instructs but equally and not more than by 30cm (Audyssey recommended this in one of their videos). That should get you going alright.

Start reading the forum, watch some vids - many many more tips to tweak all the way to the MultiEQX app, sub and speaker positioning etc. Come back if you have specific questions.

Top Bottom