• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%

• Total voters

Multicore

Major Contributor
There is always some drama in Buckeye's reviews, poor Dylan can't get a break lol.
Maybe. But I'm confident the facts of the matter will emerge in this thread and we will find that the amp is competent and neither Dylan nor Hypex are frauds that we need to send to jail. So maybe a little drama isn't so bad for him.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I've been running mine with a Freya S and Revel M16 speakers and the combo is killer. No issues and my digital and vinyl playback sound stellar. I did leave the amp on "auto" during the summer and the amp itself would make a pop noise when it turned itself on; no pop noise through the speakers though. I leave the amp on all the time now since I'm in the living room everyday with the cooler weather and I forget it's there.

Yes, it's simple in design but for the price/performance and shipping from a domestic company, I think it's a great starter amp for a HiFi under $1000. My next amp upgrade will probably be something that looks a little sexier but for my apartment now, this amp works perfectly.

View attachment 315128
I love the visible cables. We had a shelving unit like that too but converted it to use in the hall for keys, wallets, dog accessories, and recycling collection. And it looks like you've got a master power switch accessible on the power strip. That's how we do it too.

IMG_20230927_091845.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I love the visible cables. We had a shelving unit like that too but converted it to use in the hall for keys, wallets, dog accessories, and recycling collection. And it looks like you've got a master power switch accessible on the power strip. That's how we do it too.

View attachment 315130

It's awesome. Just make sure your insurance is paid and you know the direct number to the fire brigade with all those sketchy adaptors and mini AC extensions...

electrical.jpg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps

Can Dylan comment on the difference between this amp and the one Amir measured 3 years ago, also NC252MP based?
The 3 years older 6 channel amp measured much better on the 20 Hz curve. Not important for real use but just wonder if Hypex different SMPS versions is the cause of the worse 20 Hz test signal performance.

index.php
index.php

daniboun

Major Contributor
Audiophonics NC252MP so we can compare, seems to be last revision of the module....(June 2023)

1695821438615.png

BostonJack

Editor
Every time I read a comment about its ugliness or that the top of the case bows up, my heart swells with antiaudiophillic pride.

View attachment 315107
Love the books you use to prop up the turntable feet. Classy. "The Portrait of Mr. W.H." by Wilde and some other Penquin Classic on the left (can't quite make out the title). Forget looking at audio power amps, have a look at someone's books!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thank you for doing the reactive load test. Can you please elaborate on how it is done? I mean instead of using a resistor load that represents 0 deg., do you use a load made up of variable inductance, capacitance and resistanc (RLC) network, or is there an off the shelf type test load that allows you to vary the phase angle?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's awesome. Just make sure your insurance is paid and you know the direct number to the fire brigade with all those sketchy adaptors and mini AC extensions...

View attachment 315133
C'mon, John, clearly a health hazard. There's no seat on that toilet! :)

VQR

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
May be the newer version has tightened protection from abuse lol.., to limit warranty exposure.
Well, either that, or primary capacitance is a bit tight. You commonly see that in PC power supplies these days, possibly in an attempt to cut down on idle losses (which capacitor leakage current is contributing to - 0.01 CV may not seem that much but e.g. at 470 µF and 400 V already amounts to 0.75 W, and that's just a ~550W PSU).

Multicore

Major Contributor
Love the books you use to prop up the turntable feet. Classy. "The Portrait of Mr. W.H." by Wilde and some other Penquin Classic on the left (can't quite make out the title). Forget looking at audio power amps, have a look at someone's books!
The Man With the Twisted Lip, a Doyle Sherlock Holmes story. I bought a mountain of the Penguin 60s when they were new in the shops. I realize now that I haven't finished reading them all. The Death of Ivan Ilyich is one I want to get to. Apparently it was the inspiration for the film Ikiru which got a lovely remake last year with Bill Nighy called Living.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
FWIW from the ugly camp (those who think the enclosures ugly, not those I’m calling ugly) the cases I use are manufactured in Canada. From day one I chose this company due to their closeness and ability to allow modifications (color, cutouts, etc) at low volume.

Recently I have looked at the idea of switching to a more pleasant looking case similar to what a lot of others offer, but this would impact the ability to offer a wide range of customization. And, just as important to me, take the location of case manufacturing to the other side of the globe.

As always, there are trade offs.
That's great, but better still would be to get your supplier to *also* make a nicer case for those who care about such things. Or is that not an option?

only.shallow

View attachment 315130
Yes, I use a heavy duty Tripp-Lite power strip with circuit protection. I keep the cords tidy and off the ground so I can sweep under the rack easily since I have a Golden Retriever that produces fluffs daily.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I wonder who makes the cases for Apollon's pricier offerings?

The Italians have great know-how in the design of aluminum cases of all kinds. HIFI2000 (Modushop.biz) is a large supplier in Europe.

Many brands go through them,, ex :

1695827296471.png

1695827320209.png

1695827364109.png

1695827446540.png

Multicore

Major Contributor
You have to distinguish which DIY look,cause taking a middle ground DIY case (not top of the top,not bottom too) looks like this:
Yes, I suppose you're right. I tend to think of DIY qua DIY as being motivated by cost savings but of course crafts can be practiced at home at the highest level.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Top Bottom