• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Espiritiv

Any such thing as a NCx250 coming out soon? More power for the same cost as the NC252 etc.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Any such thing as a NCx250 coming out soon? More power for the same cost as the NC252 etc.
Not that I have heard off.

The NCx500 is the “replacement” for for the NC500 and Hypex never had an NC250 during that period.

MusicMan77

Any feedback as to when you might have a mono unit for Amir to test?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I’d like to ask a question that’s been bubbling in the back of my head ever since the testing and re-testing of a Buckeye amp by Amir. I don’t think I’ve seen the answer in the test/review threads, apologies if I missed it.

The first round of testing of the amp showed increasing distortion from a certain output power onward, and this was confirmed as fixed by the second test. The fix that was alluded to was about the speaker terminals.

What I would like to know is, what was the problem with the original terminals? Was it the type or style of termination? The clamping force? The cross-section of the post? I’d like to understand how a terminal can introduce current-dependent distortion, other than (obviously) through poor contact.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I’d like to ask a question that’s been bubbling in the back of my head ever since the testing and re-testing of a Buckeye amp by Amir. I don’t think I’ve seen the answer in the test/review threads, apologies if I missed it.

The first round of testing of the amp showed increasing distortion from a certain output power onward, and this was confirmed as fixed by the second test. The fix that was alluded to was about the speaker terminals.

What I would like to know is, what was the problem with the original terminals? Was it the type or style of termination? The clamping force? The cross-section of the post? I’d like to understand how a terminal can introduce current-dependent distortion, other than (obviously) through poor contact.
The original terminals were steel (so magnetic) as opposed to what was listed as brass (non magnetic) when I ordered them.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The original terminals were steel (so magnetic) as opposed to what was listed as brass (non magnetic) when I ordered them.

Ah, I see. What is the presumed mechanism of action for causing the distortion, though? Does being ferromagnetic affect the flow of current through a material? I would have thought that if anything, a higher conductive material (like copper or brass) would be more affected, for example through eddy currents.

I know that when there is sufficiently high magnetic flux in a ferromagnetic material (like in a transformer core) one can get crackling Barkhausen noise, but surely that’s not what we see in speaker terminal posts?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ah, I see. What is the presumed mechanism of action for causing the distortion, though? Does being ferromagnetic affect the flow of current through a material? I would have thought that if anything, a higher conductive material (like copper or brass) would be more affected, for example through eddy currents.

I know that when there is sufficiently high magnetic flux in a ferromagnetic material (like in a transformer core) one can get crackling Barkhausen noise, but surely that’s not what we see in speaker terminal posts?
@Rick Sykora did a deeper dive into this issue and if he is willing may be able to explain better what is happening when using a ferrous material.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora did a deeper dive into this issue and if he is willing may be able to explain better what is happening when using a ferrous material.

Did not delve into the physics of it, but some smart folks at Purifi claim that hysteresis distortion can occur when iron is in the signal path. The distortion also reminded me of what happens with an oxidized contact. Ran this by some experienced electrical engineers I know and they said a good solder connection should resolve. I tried this with the steel tab and it did not fix.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Did not delve into the physics of it, but some smart folks at Purifi claim that hysteresis distortion can occur when iron is in the signal path. The distortion also reminded me of what happens with an oxidized contact. Ran this by some experienced electrical engineers I know and they said a good solder connection should resolve. I tried this with the steel tab and it did not fix.

Thanks Rick, my prime suspect would have been the quality of the contact, too. There are many types of steel, or course, but stainless steel can be difficult to solder. On the other hand, plated steel contacts are commonplace in electrical installation.

I’ll add it to my list of things to read up on :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

It's complicated, and I claim no expertise as it has been a while since I have dealt with this (though have spent a lot of time dealing with the effects of ferrite beads in RF and power supply circuits). It is not (or not just ) Barkhausen noise, but actual distortion (nonlinearity) that is added. IIRC, ferrous materials introduce nonlinear effects on current flow including hysteresis. The effects are small, but at higher current are enough to add distortion, especially when we are looking at the very low distortion levels here. In the real world, as @Rick Sykora noted, similar (e.g. voice coil/magnet modulation and hysteresis, etc.) and other effects (e.g. other hysteresis, nonlinear suspension flexure, cone breakup, etc.) from the speakers will dominate the distortion you hear by several orders of magnitude.

HTH - Don

Last edited:

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Buckeye Amps

Do you have the specs for the 3 channel Micro power supply? Can you give it's current rating at max output per channel at 2ohms? Thanks...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sustained power is 1.8kW @ 120VAC / 2kW @ 240VAC
Peak power is 2kW @ 120VAC / 2.2kW @ 240VAC

Sustained power is 1.8kW @ 120VAC / 2kW @ 240VAC
Peak power is 2kW @ 120VAC / 2.2kW @ 240VAC

What is the max current output? The NCx500 is limited at 2ohms to 26amps. Will this power supply handle that or is it going be the limit? What is the output voltage? Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom