• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Various Hypex NCx500 amp builds

MikeO

Forum Donor
I will order a pair of Hypex NCx500 monoblocks to listen to in my system. It seems many companies today are using Hypex designs, so why not give it a listen?

There are many "online companies” that sell these NCx500 monoblocks as a basic design or with optional/upgradable OP Amps or binding posts. A quick Google search will bring up at least five companies from the USA or Europe (the NCore available at Deer Creek Audio, Nord One NCX500MB, VTV Amplifier, Buckeye Amps, Apollon Audio).

It’s difficult to tell if these are garage operations or something more advanced, but the quality of the website does factor in a warm, fuzzy feeling or not...

Deer Creek Audio NCore shows a (what I assume is a factory) implementation when compared among the other ones. They don’t seem to sell with other “build options” like optional OP Amps.

The Nord One has their new buffer board with the inputs soldered right on it among a few other possible improvements. How it will measure and sound compared to the build at Deer Creek is yet to be determined.

So, has anyone here given these a listen with a particular build? Thoughts?

Same insides as above but with a thicker case (as confirmed by Apollon):

I'll compare them to my Theta Enterprise monoblocks. I like the sound of the Thetas even though they may not measure as nicely and their design is much older.

Last edited:

Martin S.

I have been reading lots and lots about Class D and I finalished a listeneing session with amongst others:
-Primare integrated Multi Channel amp: SPA 25 based on Hypex UcD250LP
-Primare power amp A35.2

Both with DIrac disabled, 2 channel stereo only in a pre seriously configured listening room.

I was super impressed with sound of both also in comparison with Arcam AVR 20 which is a ClassA/B integrated amp.

There are some threats of both primare machines already in this Forum.

Pls share your expieriences with all Class D equipment you get the opportunity listening to!!

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Unless they significantly fucked up, all of these amps should sound exactly the same. If you want one, look for features, looks and budget.
When I see the lack of care for thermal design that a lot of them exhibit, I am not sure that all of these amps will last the same.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I see the lack of care for thermal design that a lot of them exhibit, I am not sure that all of these amps will last the same.
Good point! That wasn't the question though ;)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Good point! That wasn't the question though ;)
Indeed, but in my ideal world I wish that people would ask themselves questions like "Will the electronics be properly cooled in a pizza oven?" instead of asking for listening impressions. Just me dreaming awake :facepalm:

wizardofoz

I have an Apollon 8350 which has 4 x NC502MP modules and these have additional Heatsinks attached to each amp plate, but the cooling options in the case vents are a little bit limited so have installed some slow running fans to keep things in check.
IMG_7112.jpeg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have an Apollon 8350 which has 4 x NC502MP modules and these have additional Heatsinks attached to each amp plate, but the cooling options in the case vents are a little bit limited so have installed some slow running fans to keep things in check.View attachment 315295

With the Hypex stuff, it's spot temperatures that are too high for long term reliability.

You need a lot of forced air cooling to bring the output filter inductors down to reasonable temperatures, along with the two SMPS transformers (main and aux) which pretty much always sit above 75 to 85 degrees C when just idling (no signal). The output filters run hot all the time. Thing is, they are also passively heating the adjacent components to those temperatures too.

I've got a Nord One on my bench that has cooked itself and the idle temperatures are in my opinion, too high for no forced air cooling, especially in Australia.

The output stages barely contribute any heat, until the amplifiers are really being driven hard.

NoMoFoNo

Has there been an issue with unusual failure rates with Hypex modules? I've seen the threads here about Topping PA5 amps but am unaware of widespread complaints about Hypex (or Purifi) stuff.

Golftee99

I was quite impressed with the ASR test results of the Hypex Nilai 500 (versus Benchmark AHB2, my wishlist amp) so I ordered a stereo version in kit form from Deer Creek Audio, it was a very straight forward built without any soldering. From the very high precision machined case to the amp module and power supply to the speakers terminals, all included in the factory box, this maybe the future of DIY audio amplifiers. I was very happy with the results and ended up buying a second kit, to bi-amp my N802. With regards to the heat issue, I used thermal paste on the amp module for peace of mind but the amp feels barely warm in operation except there are lots of LED like lights glowing on the amp and power supply circuits board, don’t know what purpose they are for, maybe to please tube folks!

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 48

HoweSound

I was quite impressed with the ASR test results of the Hypex Nilai 500 (versus Benchmark AHB2, my wishlist amp) so I ordered a stereo version in kit form from Deer Creek Audio, it was a very straight forward built without any soldering. From the very high precision machined case to the amp module and power supply to the speakers terminals, all included in the factory box, this maybe the future of DIY audio amplifiers. I was very happy with the results and ended up buying a second kit, to bi-amp my N802. With regards to the heat issue, I used thermal paste on the amp module for peace of mind but the amp feels barely warm in operation except there are lots of LED like lights glowing on the amp and power supply circuits board, don’t know what purpose they are for, maybe to please tube folks!
I have the Nilai stereo assembled by Deer Creek; also very pleased.

Top Bottom