• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BUCKEYEAMPS Hypex NCx500 Amplifier 2channel Review

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The West Gate Bridge collapse was actually in Melbourne in 1970. As a young boy, I remember my Dad driving us along the road to the bridge, where you could walk/drive along the partially completed section and get quite close to the broken off part. It sat like that for about 2 years and was quite a sight up close. There had been barriers, but curious people had removed them and the braver ones drove their cars quite a distance to get closer.
Corrected, thanks. Now I am struggling with how the heck we went from audio amplifiers to bridge collapses... :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Since we're off-topic anyway, I have long felt it might be better to have review threads locked down for (no) comments, and when a review is posted a companion discussion thread created. E.g.:

Thread 1 = XXX Product Review (locked)
Thread 2 = XXX Product Review Discussion -- first post is a link to the (locked) product review.

Been done elsewhere, not sure if that would fly here.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Back on Topic or I will be forced to post more of these…

IMG_0352.png

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Since we're off-topic anyway, I have long felt it might be better to have review threads locked down for (no) comments, and when a review is posted a companion discussion thread created. E.g.:

Thread 1 = XXX Product Review (locked)
Thread 2 = XXX Product Review Discussion -- first post is a link to the (locked) product review.

Been done elsewhere, not sure if that would fly here.

I posted this suggestion years ago but it was knocked on the head. So I figure, all bets are off. :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I posted this suggestion years ago but it was knocked on the head. So I figure, all bets are off. :)
Ah, that explains the hair in your avatar, and I thought it was the wires. :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hasn't DC stabilized yet??:)
Seriously now,any updates?Has the PSU failure affected amp modules or they endured?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still haven't had time to add all the information I would like to to the website but at least have been able to add the (peak) label to the power ratings.
I hope when you do get around to doing it, keep in mind the potential confusion due to the different specs of the SMPS and the amp modules, depending on the SMPS used, the amp modules may or may not be the weak link in terms of the average power, peak power, duration ratings. That is, either one could be the limiting factor.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would hope all is well with the OP as after week without an update, the real question is how is he?:confused:

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Sorry for delay.

ALL is good at this moment.
I went to the hospital again last Sunday, took a new medicine, but I'm getting better.

I saw a lot of questions about power quality being raised, and we needed some time to figure out how to address them without legal/electrical safety concerns. It's a bit cheaper than originally thought, but there's no software integration, and shipping takes time.

큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅜㅜㅜㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

It will show us Voltage, Amp, Wattage
큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅜㅜㅜㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

This time, I'll draw power from wall, exclusively using 2.5sq wired power strip.
I also need to test whether the voltage readings of the DMM and the wattmeter match, and the effect of the wattmeter on the amplifier, so this time we have to measure at least three times as many.
I'm proud to be able to offer something that might seems little bit meaningless but somehow cool.

Once I replaced the PSU, the amplifier shows the same ON-OFF DC/AC aspect as the first one, so it can be said at this point that the rest of the performances are highly likely to be the same. More details will be learned while measuring with AP. IMHO, There would to be no significant SINAD difference. But my words at this moment don't mean anything, as the experimental values will prove everything in the end.

After, measurements are done, I'll return the amp (I hope it would not fried!), and the fried PSU will be returned to the company by the owner, so I expect them to more detailed autopsy it in more detail.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for delay.

ALL is good at this moment.
I went to the hospital again last Sunday, took a new medicine, but I'm getting better.

I saw a lot of questions about power quality being raised, and we needed some time to figure out how to address them without legal/electrical safety concerns. It's a bit cheaper than originally thought, but there's no software integration, and shipping takes time.

View attachment 307028
It will show us Voltage, Amp, Wattage
View attachment 307029

This time, I'll draw power from wall, exclusively using 2.5sq wired power strip.
I also need to test whether the voltage readings of the DMM and the wattmeter match, and the effect of the wattmeter on the amplifier, so this time we have to measure at least three times as many.
I'm proud to be able to offer something that might seems little bit meaningless but somehow cool.

Once I replaced the PSU, the amplifier shows the same ON-OFF DC/AC aspect as the first one, so it can be said at this point that the rest of the performances are highly likely to be the same. More details will be learned while measuring with AP. IMHO, There would to be no significant SINAD difference. But my words at this moment don't mean anything, as the experimental values will prove everything in the end.

After, measurements are done, I'll return the amp (I hope it would not fried!), and the fried PSU will be returned to the company by the owner, so I expect them to more detailed autopsy it in more detail.

so does all good mean the amplifier passed your tests?

Last edited:
OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
You can see the preview of them.
마 참 내 큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

마 참 내 low 큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

마 참 내 High 큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

These are significantly more relaxed test to DUT than in the past. But I still feel quite anxious. Anyway it hasn't been fried yet. Few of test are left.
And I'm sure my wall power is white. I mean she is innocent. Lowest value I've seen was 215 V, It's nicely inside of the standard of our region, 220 V ± 13 V, even in kW drains.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm testing it now! (as full voltage input)

Many of limited test has been done (up to 150 W output) too!

What is the significance of the "generator" start and stop levels, for example, you had the stop level at 5.8 V, 10.3 V and 3.2 Vrms. That can't be the input voltages to the power amp, as the measured level (W) didn't seem to change much?

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
What is the significance of the "generator" start and stop levels, for example, you had the stop level at 5.8 V, 10.3 V and 3.2 Vrms. That can't be the input voltages to the power amp, as the measured level (W) didn't seem to change much?
That is what AP generates.
So Ap generates 5.8 V out, DUT(amps)'s max input voltage is 5.8 V. Last time the value was actually 700W point by my experiment. This time theoretical(by gain) value suggestions from the company.

Points are decreased 150 -> 100, Shorter duration of stress.

Filter past 20 - 20k for all
Filter now 10 - 20k (Almost same to 20 - 20k) for 20 - 5 kHz sweep, 10 - 30k for 10 kHz, 10 - 45k for 15 kHz, 10 - 60k for 20 kHz.

So, 10 kHz to 20 kHz sweep now shows 3rd harmonics and ultrasonic debris.

I'll post new threads about repaired amp, so other details will be there.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is what AP generates.
So Ap generates 5.8 V out, DUT(amps)'s max input voltage is 5.8 V. Last time the value was actually 700W point by my experiment. This time theoretical(by gain) value suggestions from the company.

Points are decreased 150 -> 100, Shorter duration of stress.

Filter past 20 - 20k for all
Filter now 10 - 20k (Almost same to 20 - 20k) for 20 - 5 kHz sweep, 10 - 30k for 10 kHz, 10 - 45k for 15 kHz, 10 - 60k for 20 kHz.

So, 10 kHz to 20 kHz sweep now shows 3rd harmonics and ultrasonic debris.

I'll post new threads about repaired amp, so other details will be there.
Okay thanks, I can see that, if the DUT's spec says it is 5.8 V max input. But in your second graph, you had it at 10.3 V, but the DUT's output did not change much, what's the reason.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Okay thanks, I can see that, if the DUT's spec says it is 5.8 V max input. But in your second graph, you had it at 10.3 V, but the DUT's output did not change much, what's the reason.
Measuring the different gains of the amp probably,he does that in his reviews.

Top Bottom