• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Has the case for the 3ch NCx500 been finalized? Will the Micro Audio SMPS fit in the 12” wide x 12" deep x 3.5" high case the 3ch Purifi 1ET400A uses?
Not yet. But it will be bigger than the 3ch Purifi case. I am hoping to keep it right at or even under 14" x 14" but waiting on final dimension size of the SMPS. Height will be the same.

The Micro Audio SMPS is a big, beefy thing. And rightfully so.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I received a shipment date for the NCx modules so the 2ch and mono orders will definitely be filled by end of May barring any unforeseen delays.

christr

Looks great! I am very interested in a three channel build - and I am looking at both the Purifi and NCx500. What would be the differences between them? I guess based on sheer power and low distortion the NCx500 is the way to go? What about sound quality, if there is anything to be said about that?

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Looks great! I am very interested in a three channel build - and I am looking at both the Purifi and NCx500. What would be the differences between them? I guess based on sheer power and low distortion the NCx500 is the way to go? What about sound quality, if there is anything to be said about that?
There is no audible sound difference between the Purifi and NCx. So the choice, at least at the moment with the Purifi sale pricing, comes down to cost savings and availability.

Of course, if you have 2-4ohm nominal speakers, the NCx would be slightly better suited for power/current.

christr

There is no audible sound difference between the Purifi and NCx. So the choice, at least at the moment with the Purifi sale pricing, comes down to cost savings and availability.

Of course, if you have 2-4ohm nominal speakers, the NCx would be slightly better suited for power/current.
Thank you! What is the current availability of these amps?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be nice to have a 3 channel amp with 2 channels of purifi for the mid/highs and 1 NCx500 for the bottom end...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would be nice to have a 3 channel amp with 2 channels of purifi for the mid/highs and 1 NCx500 for the bottom end...
Aside from the current Purifi sale, that config would cost as much or slightly more than just getting a 3ch NCx

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
True, but 700watts for the mid and tweeter is a bit overkill.
Even 400w for mid or tweeter is overkill. There’s no harm in having more power on hand unless you are intentionally setting out to overdrive a speaker at the cost of your hearing.

So there is no harm to go with the NCx.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even 400w for mid or tweeter is overkill. There’s no harm in having more power on hand unless you are intentionally setting out to overdrive a speaker at the cost of your hearing.

So there is no harm to go with the NCx.

Sure, even 400W is overkill, just a lot less overkill than 700watts...No argument that there is no harm with a three channel NCx500, just noting it would be nice to have a 3 channel amp tailored more closely to actual real world loads.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sure, even 400W is overkill, just a lot less overkill than 700watts...No argument that there is no harm with a three channel NCx500, just noting it would be nice to have a 3 channel amp tailored more closely to actual real world loads.
It just wouldn’t make sense cost wise for a customer to pay more for something that isn’t an issue.

hoppy IPA

Can anyone list a few speakers that can take advantage of this amp's power for those who like it loud?

For example, would my Polk R700's be able to get louder than with my current NC502MP?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can anyone list a few speakers that can take advantage of this amp's power for those who like it loud?

For example, would my Polk R700's be able to get louder than with my current NC502MP?
You might get 1.5dB or so more at the absolute max, which is for most people an imperceivable loudness change.
The bigger advantages, depending on content/usage, is the lower noise floor and cleaner output (lower distortion) at higher volume.

So right now if can't turn your Polk's up louder/they are maxed out?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!

I just wanted to inquire about how much a 4 channel amplifier (500W) would cost and whether it’s possible to have all the auto on goodies but still maintain a gain that 1 to 2 volts are enough to drive it to max power.

(I would also ship it internationally)

amper42

Major Contributor
Using a Kill-a-watt what is the idle power usage for the NCx500 stereo amp versus the Buckeye stereo Purifi?

Any difference in heat generated after 1 hour of run time? Will the case run warm with the NCx500 versus a cool running Purifi?

christr

It says on your website that the 3 channel amps will ship early Q3. Are we talking july?

Last edited:
Top Bottom