• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps 2024 News and Upcoming Products

pogo

Major Contributor
But there seems to be another kind of distortion: Link
It could even be that the bridge mode of two 1ET400A sounds better than one 1ET9040BA. I will gather listening experiences in the near future.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
But there seems to be another kind of distortion: Link
It could even be that the bridge mode of two 1ET400A sounds better than one 1ET9040BA. I will gather listening experiences in the near future.
I've learned to not debate subjective listening experiences. Other than to say I'm glad you enjoy it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But there seems to be another kind of distortion: Link.
I think the key word there is "seems". Until the subjective perceptions are verified objectively, I would classify it as in the enormous category "subjective perceptions that don't necessarily correlate with physical properties of the sound waves".

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you, I and the others do, including the audio experts who have tested this combination ;)
Understandable.

The same has been said of similar people hearing a difference between the 1ET400A and the NCx500.

shion_ca

What does the 9040 need in terms of power supply to get its specified power across all impedances?

Also @Buckeye Amps pehaps you could offer an option at some delta in cost between the op amp price difference to have the recommended op amp?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also @Buckeye Amps pehaps you could offer an option at some delta in cost between the op amp price difference to have the recommended op amp?

There is to material difference in price between the two op amps mentioned above. It's about having stock of the 1612 and wanting to use it rather than carry stock of another op amp, as I understand it.

shion_ca

There is to material difference in price between the two op amps mentioned above. It's about having stock of the 1612 and wanting to use it rather than carry stock of another op amp, as I understand it.
Understood, I’m asking if folks could offer to pay a worse rate to have the recommended op amp put in, eg. some surcharge of 40 bucks an op amp so that their OCD doesn’t drive them nuts.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Understood, I’m asking if folks could offer to pay a worse rate to have the recommended op amp put in, eg. some surcharge of 40 bucks an op amp so that their OCD doesn’t drive them nuts.
I suspect if there is enough demand a vendor will fill it. Since there is a certain slice of the market that would be drawn to an amp advertised as having the lowest measured distortion, undoubtedly there will be those willing to cater to that demand by using the best performing op amp.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Why the OPA 1612 when Bruno recommends the OPA 1656? Should be similar priced.
Why does he recommended the 1656? It has JFET inputs so lower input bias current than the 1612, but has generally higher noise and distortion compared to the 1612 per TI's datasheets. It is application-dependent but the choice seems like another of those "fashion" things.

shion_ca

As to my question about power supply, what is necessary for this particular amp? Is it like the 7040 in requirements to reach maximum measured power across the various impedances?

quattro98

Forum Donor
As to my question about power supply, what is necessary for this particular amp? Is it like the 7040 in requirements to reach maximum measured power across the various impedances?

Last edited:

shion_ca

For the dumb… will that power supply achieve the full power then… my reading of that, possibly incorrect, is that this amp needs a less robust power supply as compared to the 7040?

quattro98

Forum Donor
For the dumb… will that power supply achieve the full power then… my reading of that, possibly incorrect, is that this amp needs a less robust power supply as compared to the 7040?
Full power from the 9040 requires 45V (half of the 90 in the product number). For the 7040 it’s 70V.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps - Dylan, could you explain the use case scenario for the optional add-on PCB with extra 4x10000uF capacitors for the Purifi 1ET7040SA monoblock?

Also, just for curiosity’s sake, could you post a photograph of the inside of a Purifi 1ET7040SA monoblock with the optional capacitor PCB? Thanks!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps - Dylan, could you explain the use case scenario for the optional add-on PCB with extra 4x10000uF capacitors for the Purifi 1ET7040SA monoblock?

Also, just for curiosity’s sake, could you post a photograph of the inside of a Purifi 1ET7040SA monoblock with the optional capacitor PCB? Thanks!
Pictures will be coming in a few weeks.

The capacitors would be for anyone their speakers full range to prevent any pumping that might cause undervoltage.
If you are using a subwoofer and crossing the speakers over above 40Hz, it is not necessary.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does he recommended the 1656? It has JFET inputs so lower input bias current than the 1612, but has generally higher noise and distortion compared to the 1612 per TI's datasheets. It is application-dependent but the choice seems like another of those "fashion" things.
"Higher and much more linear input impedance" he said.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"Higher and much more linear input impedance" he said.

Thanks, it's JFET instead of bipolar so that makes sense, but should only matter if the driving source has high impedance... For when you want every last dB.

Top Bottom