• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 40.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.5%

• Total voters

jeffme

Forum Donor
At the risk of asking a rookie question, is there any sort of autosensing trigger or is that lowbrow / less performant?

The use case I have in mind is just Wiim / e50 / this amp, but it'd be nice not to have to hit the power button / hear a loud popping sound every time you start streaming. Or, have I missed something?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely. I have it and be really happy with it. But is an other price category
Same here. Fact is, if it were all I could afford, I think I would be very happy with this little amp. Just a great little performer at a great price. Add this to a good l.t. $200 DAC with a volume and a remote, or an Rpi4 with DAC hat, and you would have something you could keep for years and never be dissatisfied with even once.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the risk of asking a rookie question, is there any sort of autosensing trigger or is that lowbrow / less performant?

The use case I have in mind is just Wiim / e50 / this amp, but it'd be nice not to have to hit the power button / hear a loud popping sound every time you start streaming. Or, have I missed something?
Does the E50 have a trigger out?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's good for you. But most reviews show it so it is a thing. And maybe trigger on is different than using the switch.
That must be it because I don't hear a pop on trigger, and I am triggering three at once.

Last edited:

jeffme

Forum Donor
Does the E50 have a trigger out?
Unfortunately, no.

Good news... I just realized that the Wiim Pro has a 12V trigger output!

That said... autosensing removes a cable requirement, no?

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Glad to see an option in this price range with 1) RCA inputs and 2) a front panel power switch. May invest in one of these down the road. Those were my two issues about buying a Buckeye amp, frankly.

charlielaub

Very informative graph !
Well done !

(I'd be very curious to see the same at, say, 10kHz and 20Hz, though.)
I'm not quite onboard with the plot:
index.php

@Amir It would be much more informative if you labeled the y-axis (unless I missed that somewhere...) or provided the info in a subtitle. Is that Watts? At a fixed input level? Over 20-20k or only at one frequency? Etc.

Perhaps the plot is suggesting that the amp is capable of producing about 35 bananas per second... :p Yum! This would be a very useful feature if you have a family to feed AND want a great amplifier as well.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Current price on their website is just under 500 euros, so that puts base cost of this in the US very close to a Buckeye build, within $40. Less than shipping, probably.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not quite onboard with the plot:
index.php

@Amir It would be much more informative if you labeled the y-axis (unless I missed that somewhere...) or provided the info in a subtitle. Is that Watts? At a fixed input level? Over 20-20k or only at one frequency? Etc.

Perhaps the plot is suggesting that the amp is capable of producing about 35 bananas per second... :p Yum! This would be a very useful feature if you have a family to feed AND want a great amplifier as well.
Will do. For now it is voltage.

KSTR

Major Contributor
In THD+N VS Power, yes.

Still, Max/Peak Power underperforms compared to some other NC252MP:
View attachment 290368
Same module in IOM nCore Pro:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-iom-ncore-pro-pwr-amp.8979/
View attachment 290364
Same module in Cambridge Evo150:
View attachment 290366
Indeed that is quite a bit more difference than what one would expect for normal product and measurement rig tolerances. 1.17x power means 9% more voltage. As far as I can see the module has regulated secondaries so mains voltage differences should not affect general tolerances.

xaxxon

Seems like putting up a bunch of amps that are all the same on the inside on the charts just muddies the water. We need a master-level "here is how an ncore 252 should perform" review and then "here is a list of 252 amps that come acceptably close to this". We need that for each of the main DIY-ish amp internals makers.

pma

Major Contributor
Will do. For now it is voltage.
It should stay in Volts! It is correct. Because you have complex load and the power would differ according to impedance just used. We cannot calculate power into 4ohm/+60deg is if it was 4ohm. Voltage representation is correct!

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review amirm
Really good value on the EU side
Something like this (or the 502mp) is on my radar for the near future

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder about the trigger - does it "pop" when going through an AVR to activate by 12V?

Overseas

Major Contributor
What would be a legit preamp for this, in Audiophonics offer, just to avoid any possible issues with DACs variable volume output?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Thanks @amirm.

Exactly as expected performance (all-integrated NC252MP module) from a bargain classic !
Yes , very good indeed.
What would be a legit preamp for this, in Audiophonics offer, just to avoid any possible issues with DACs variable volume output?
My suggestion after recomendation from some audio-people I trust: Topping e50 as dac/pre , and buy the balanced version of NC252MP from audiophonics ( the same price as rca ) .

This is probably the kit I would buy If spending below 1000 dollars.

Top Bottom