• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 40.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.5%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC stereo Ncore class D amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs 415,83 € tax excl. (US $444).
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier review.jpg

The enclosure is absolutely adorable! While it is fair bit deep, the other two dimensions are quite small. Combined with the low weight of the unit, you feel like buying a dozen to spread around the house and two to take on the road with you! :) The power button feels quite nice. The rear terminals exude quality and would rival and beat what you find on many expensive amplifiers:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier back panel review.jpg

Nice to see trigger input as well.

Inside a Hypex NC252MP amplifier module with integrated switching power supply. In use the bottom front got somewhat warm but nothing of concern. Protection circuit is robust and auto recovers from overloads.

If you are not familiar with my amplifier measurements, I highly suggest watching this video on amplifier measurements.

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Measurements
Let's start with our dashboard:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Measurement.png

That is very competent performance as far as noise+distortion (SINAD):
Best small class D amplifier review.png

Zooming in:
Best small class D amplifier zoom review.png

Noise performance is excellent:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier SNR Measurement.png

Class D designs can suffer from load dependencies but we can count on Hypex modules to be free of this:

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier frequency response Measurement.png

Crosstalk is very good despite both channels being on the same module:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Crosstalk Measurement.png

Multitone test showcases the low distortion:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Multitone Distortion Measurement.png

Dual tone 19+20 kHz shows the same:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier 19+20 kHz Measurement.png

Only a couple of sidebands are visible at -98 dB and lower in audible band.

Power curve was very clean with 4 ohm load:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Power 4 ohm Measurement.png

But strangely rose a bit with 8 ohm load:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Power 8 ohm Measurement.png

Back to 4 ohm, we almost get the specified level of power:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Max and Peak Power Measurement.png

I was pleased with rather smooth power vs distortion vs frequency:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Power 4 ohm vs frequency Measurement.png

The MPA-S250NC passed my stress test with reactive loads of 4 and 8 ohm but shut down into 2 ohm:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Loadbox Reactive Load Amplifier Measurement.png

There is fair bit of pop on and off noise:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Power On Off Noise Measurement.png

Finally, the amplifier is stable and ready to go on power on:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Class D Ncore Stereo Amplifier Warm Up Measurement.png

Conclusions
Audiophonics has produced one adorable stereo amplifier! I just want to sit there and look at it. :) Fortunately beauty goes beyond the skin, sporting a performance Hypex class D amplifier, producing top class results in all the measurements. You get near state of the art performance at bargain prices with scant space needed to dedicate to the amplifier.

I am happy to recommend the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC. Can't stop smiling..... :)

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

JSmith

Master Contributor
audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-rca-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm.jpg

There is an XLR version available too;
Great to see the test results on this @amirm and to see this NC252MP has been implemented properly.

JSmith

PeteL

Major Contributor
audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-rca-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm.jpg

Great to see the test results on this @amirm and to see this NC252MP has been implemented properly.

JSmith
There is not much to "implement". More like putting it in a box. That said those are amazing value for sure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Picture's data field says Parasound 2125, is this a wrong picture or wrong text?
Yeh, forgot to override that text from the template file. It is the right measurement.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Nice!
Pairing this amplifier with a Topping E50 as dac/pre amp would bring real highend performance. :)

Those Hypex modules seems also to be available as plateamps with the option of dsp crossovers, making it possible to create a two way active speaker with top performance.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
There is not much to "implement". More like putting it in a box. That said those are amazing value for sure.
yeah i did kind of snort when i seen the 'made in france' tag

like i get it... i dont even mind this company at all given they are the cheapest option (I think?) and you are getting the same performance becuase all the boards come from the same factory in Malaysia to be screwed into a Ghent China sort of long case and then shipped...

same way a Renault SUV is made in Korea these days and is a rebadged Nissan.

I dont know why the majors dont just shove seven of them into an atmos receiver and sell that.

KSTR

Major Contributor
That's excellent performance at this price point, for sure.

Still, the infinite spray of mains harmonics suggests the wiring/grounding scheme could be improved and probably the XLR version has less of it. From the photo shown we can see that the form factor would have called for a 90° CCW placement for best cable routing.

But it could be mains contamination is intrinsic as the input section is really damn close to the power supply, not exactly best practice.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm.

Exactly as expected performance (all-integrated NC252MP module) from a bargain classic !

Edit : Well, not "exactly". Burst power should reach 250W/4Ω/1%, tho.

There is not much to "implement".
@Audiophonics never said it was. ;) As for other NC-MP modules, in-house "implementation" design isn't a thing.

Last edited:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice!
Pairing this amplifier with a Topping E50 as dac/pre amp would be real highend performance. :)

Those Hypex modules seems also to be available as plateamps with the option of dsp crossovers, making it possible to make a two way active speaker with top performance.

I have the MPA-S125 paired with a topping E30, a cheap high performer for me, the combo sounds really nice here at home, I dont need more power.

JeremyFife

Thanks @amirm this is a review I've been waiting for. The XLR version is on my shopping list for when my PA5 finally expires (to be fair it's going really well at the moment).
Looks good, and brilliant value.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm,

Perhaps you should specify in the title/review that this is the RCA version (maybe the reason why it has a touch less max power, because of insufficient input voltage?).
XLR:
RCA:

Above amps (NC502MP, NC500MP, NC500, NCx500...) have both XLR and RCA inputs:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Max power should reach 250W/4Ω/1%, tho.

It does. 1% is -40dB and it's right on the nose.

Also, minor variations in mains voltage will cause variations in measured output. The power supply in reality switches in a voltage doubler for US supplies.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been using a Buckeye version for my midrange drivers for almost 2 years with no complaints. Great little amp modules.

hansik

I have this amp and it´s great. But I just ordered the Audiophonics Purifi amp, because it´s even better yes? ;)

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

JSmith
Lots of empty space in there. I wonder if the long depth is for a rack mount? Or what?

Top Bottom