• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp Review

Rate this Amplifier and DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 64.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 67 25.6%

• Total voters

DTTOM37

Nor me. All our music, apart from one album which I got from Apple Music because I couldn't find it on CD, is ripped from CD, bought new or used. We can stream it anywhere in the house, and because it's also on iPhone, can be listened to on foot or in the car, with no mobile data usage.
Looks (y)our habits are a bit "outdated" for most generations that came after you/us. ;-)

Personally, I tend to agree that streaming from a local source is my favourite, given that when I was 20 I had already about 300 vinyl records in my library and almost the same numbers of C90s - and I would describe myself as a music enthusiast (kind of dis-horder-ly) who don't want to loose access to the sources of pleasure. Most sources from the last 45 years are still accessible for me. ;-)

I do use Qobuz, but mostly for discovery, I often buy from them particular downloads, while my preferred sources are still Bandcamp for DL or Discogs for CDs I would rip myself.

My suggestion for the USB device on the router was primarily for easy going functionality testing, I was aware that Nicolas had mentioned his own NAS. I own a fully equipped UNRAID NAS (24 TB) myself, however, I use it only in the winter half, as I am in need for using an audio PC (low powered) anyway for my active speaker system. Therefore, a SSD attached to it seems to a more economic/ecologic solution to me.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Looks (y)our habits are a bit "outdated" for most generations that came after you/us. ;-)

Personally, I tend to agree that streaming from a local source is my favourite, given that when I was 20 I had already about 300 vinyl records in my library and almost the same numbers of C90s - and I would describe myself as a music enthusiast (kind of dis-horder-ly) who don't want to loose access to the sources of pleasure. Most sources from the last 45 years are still accessible for me. ;-)

I do use Qobuz, but mostly for discovery, I often buy from them particular downloads, while my preferred sources are still Bandcamp for DL or Discogs for CDs I would rip myself.

My suggestion for the USB device on the router was primarily for easy going functionality testing, I was aware that Nicolas had mentioned his own NAS. I own a fully equipped UNRAID NAS (24 TB) myself, however, I use it only in the winter half, as I am in need for using an audio PC (low powered) anyway for my active speaker system. Therefore, a SSD attached to it seems to a more economic/ecologic solution to me.
Yes, and I'm not ashamed to be outdated. Why should I buy a download when I can get the CD for less money, inc. delivery, which also gives me the ultimate backup? Heck, I can even *play* the CD on some strange machine (weird, I know, but not as weird as another strange machine that spins huge vinyl discs with grooves cut into them, dragging those grooves against a tiny rock which somehow gets music out of them). :)

Steph75

Hello,
I am quite interested in this amp (the wifi version). It would be associated with Dali Opticon 6 in order to withdraw a Marrantz 6005
My sources are only numerical (TV, Airplay, Upnp… from Synology, IOS, ITunes, RPI…).

What are the direct challengers of this amp, if possible with ethernet input or/and with the more powerful Hypex NC500
Does someone know if it is Airplay 2 compatible?

DTTOM37

Hello,
I am quite interested in this amp (the wifi version). It would be associated with Dali Opticon 6 in order to withdraw a Marrantz 6005
My sources are only numerical (TV, Airplay, Upnp… from Synology, IOS, ITunes, RPI…).

What are the direct challengers of this amp, if possible with ethernet input or/and with the more powerful Hypex NC500
Does someone know if it is Airplay 2 compatible?
Hi Steph,
this thread is about the Amp/DAC combination called DA-250 NC, not about the Amp/DAC/Streamer called DAW-250 NC. About the latter (DAW) you find reviews elsewhere.

The DA device does not support wired or wireless protocols beside Bluetooth, however it does offers toslink/coax/USB as digital inputs

In my opinion - if fully digital - you may be better off with a combination of Amplifier (Audiophonics) and Streamer/DAC (i.e. WIIM Pro plus) or perhaps a streamer that provides you with HDMI ARC, where the latter two could be the device you change/keep according to your (not) changing demands on digital media.

Reasoning:
- For one, the WIIM device seems to be under permanent development in order to add features and fix bugs.
- Secondly, streaming and DAC devices are markets where the next best thing is still to come, even it may not be the "best" for you (i.e. WIIM Ultra ?),
- while the budget amplifier market seems to be matured and clear (to me) in favor of TI 325X or Hypex nCore 12x/25x boards.
- Your RPI can have almost the same functionality as the WIIM devices, but you may lack the readymade and intuitive GUI/APP with Multiroom etc. and it may cost you hours on the RPI configuaration to get close to the WIIM experience, depending on your knowledge and leaning curve.

If your speakers aren't that demanding wrt power output, you may like to compare the WIIM amp as an AIO option, too ?

Last edited:

Steph75

Thank you very much DTTOM37 for your prompt response.

I will follow your advice and go on with the DA-250NC (I will be then in the right thread ;-) ).

Rergarding the WIIM Pro plus, is there any advantage when attached to the DA-250NC compared to the Wiim Pro (non-plus)?
The only difference between the two seems to be the Hi Rez DAC of the analog output? This Hi Rez dac would then be have no use with the DA-250NC since it does not have any analog input.
I plan to use Hi Rez music, I understand that those would be decoded by the amp, even if they go through the Wiim Pro, am i correct or am i missing something?

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Om

I will follow your advice and go on with the DA-250NC (I will be then in the right thread ;-) ).

Rergarding the WIIM Pro plus, is there any advantage when attached to the DA-250NC compared to the Wiim Pro (non-plus)?
The only difference between the two seems to be the Hi Rez DAC of the analog output? This Hi Rez dac would then be have no use with the DA-250NC since it does not have any analog input.
I plan to use Hi Rez music, I understand that those would be decoded by the amp, even if they go through the Wiim Pro, am i correct or am i missing something?
No. Pro Plus make no sense if you are going to use it’s digital output only.

DTTOM37

agree with Mulder ...

Info: It its the DAC board in the DA-250 NC thats converts the signal. If you are only onto a digital in/out (transport) for your signals, you may:
- use toslink for TV
- use coax for ?
- Use USB for your RPI as streamer serving you with DLNA/UPNP/AIRPLAY/NAS connectivity via Ethernet /WiFi
- you can use your RPI with a digi board on top to gain more input connectivity- and connect it via USB to the DAC input of the DA-250

- If you go for the WIIM pro plus, you may have the better DAC on board and you won't need an amp / DAC combination, but only a power amp if you are fine with digital volume control inside the WIIM device (remote control available)
- if you won't use the DAC of the WIIM you may manage with either the WIIM mini or the WIIM pro as a digital transport only, providing network access for NAS, UPNP , DLNA, Airplay 2 - this provides the same GUI for you.

I may have read that the advantage of the DA-250 is the point that the DAC doesn't drive the amp into clipping (please correct me if my memory dosen't serve me correctly !), which could otherwise happen unfortunately with the NC25x power amps in specific combinations.
If members use the WIIM Pro plus with a power amp combo, they may want to report here for guidance.
Cheers, Tom

edit: The DA and the DAW device are looking for owners that want an easy-to-go solution called AIO (All-in-One).
For the (imho) interesting price you'll get a nice design, good amplification, a mediocre DAC (which is good enough for most) and for the DAW as well a Linkplay module produced for third parties and integrators. In general you may do better with separates, but you'll lack the easy-to-go / good enough charisma with that. It all depends on your personal goals. If you are looking for a an external streamer besides the RPI, you may want to rethink your initial choice and find a device with analog inputs that serves your needs.
First step(h): define the importance of your different digital needs: toslink, HDMI arc, WiFi, BT, Ethernet, DLNA, UPNP, NFS, SMB, CIFS, Airplay 2 and select your future devices accordingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom