• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 40.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 165 54.5%

• Total voters

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On my KEF R3, will I hear significant difference between this and the $70 aiyima a07? Or some $2000 amps?
IMO yes, a resounding yes. After moving up from Sony ES to Krell KAV-300i, then to Mark Levinson ML-11, NAD S series, and finally Hypex NC400 and Nilai 500, a well recorded material, with wide dynamic variations, appropriately mastered (say Mahler’s Third by Tilson Thomas) shines more and more and conveys more of the emotional experience I enjoy when listening to BSO at Symphony Hall. A word of caution: as your reproduction achieves a better resemblance to the live performance, you get more transfixed to listening with focus on and in tune with the Music. It becomes less and less common to play music in the background while reading, texting, engaging in a conversation, performing household chores, to the displeasure of my wife.

chych7

On my KEF R3, will I hear significant difference between this and the $70 aiyima a07? Or some $2000 amps?
I have this exact Audiophonics Hypex amp from this review. Glad it gets good measurements and all, but honestly I can't really tell a difference versus my AVR's outputs (Denon X3600, which also gets good reviews here). Also A/B'd it to a cheap Fosi class D amp I have (with an instantly changing A/B switch I had built, level matched everything with a preamp on the Fosi too), barely heard a difference; very slight high frequency roll off on the Fosi. Speakers are Philharmonic BMRs. If you're spending $$ on amps, do it because there's nothing better else to spend $$ on in your system, or if you really have a high volume/power application (especially if you need to drive bass freqs).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Pretty much all amplifiers will make a discernible noise on power up-speaker connection and power down disconnection.

With class A/AB and D the severity of the noise will depend on several factors. The largest contributor of turn on/off noise is DC offset, and with delayed connection to the speakers (relay/muting/mosfet switching), the 'pop' will be variable. DC offset varies due to ambient temperature and some designs allow for +/-150mV as a 'normal' range. Others keep to within +/-0-20mV. In other words, one day it might be a loud pop, another day silent and still be perfectly fine.

In short, the turn on/off time plot is interesting, but doesn't tell you how 'your' identical model will perform. It may have a lot more 'pop' noise or a lot less.
Yeah, I know they do but my point was more to _why_ they let this be audible on their products in contrast to most of the A/B class manufacturers. :)

IamJF

There are not many amps on the market which are better as a Hypex module, regardless the price. Even for 20.000 or more.
If you don't hear the little humm with your speakers - you are set.

Interference

I have the XLR version, combined with a balanced-output DAC. A dead-simple source-direct clipping-free (*) setup.

(*) given the standard output levels of DACs it's very hard to bring the amp to clipping, but in general with digital attenuation and displays it's easy to control how far you are from the amp limit.

Hard to predict. The Hypex is definitely a more capable amp but how much this will make a difference in your context it's hard to say. I would make the upgrade just for "peace of mind" :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will do. For now it is voltage.

As the Hypex NC250MP is rated for 2 ohm operation, does this mean this amp failed at 2 ohms?

Trying to understand the takeaway for these test results.:confused:

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
As the Hypex NC250MP is rated for 2 ohm operation, does this mean this amp failed at 2 ohms?

I will check mine in couple of hours [2ohm] and will post the result. Anyway, bridged mode worked into 4ohm, so normal mode should work into 2ohm.

pma

Major Contributor

I will check mine in couple of hours [2ohm] and will post the result. Anyway, bridged mode worked into 4ohm, so normal mode should work into 2ohm.

I think I am about to confirm @amirm test results. Just measured my NC252MP implementation, which has probably the best possible cooling with large, full-size 19" - 3U aluminium box with side heatsinks. I have just made a set of measurements with 2ohm resistive load.

1. First, the noise floor with the forest of mains related lines is similar. Please take into account the graph is in dBV, so 0dBV=1V, in other words the amplitude in dB is related to 1Vrms.

PMA-NC252MP_2ohm_noise.png

... and 5W/2ohm/1kHz SINAD
PMA-NC252MP_2ohm_5W.png .... and 5W/2ohm CCIF 18+19kHz PMA-NC252MP_2ohm_5W_CCIF.png .... 167W/2ohm/50Hz PMA-NC252MP_2ohm_167W_50Hz.png

2. Max. continuous power into 2 ohm load (but with only 1 channel driven) is 234W, then the amp protection shuts it down.
PMA-NC252MP_2ohm_maxpower.png

3. Below are the plots of THD and THD+N vs. power into 2ohm at 1kHz. Measuring bandwidth is a conservative 22kHz. It works well with a 2ohm resistor up to some point, like 10-20W, then the noise floor starts to have erratic behaviour and the power is limited, as shown above, to 234W with one channel driven. 5W/2ohm SINAD is 90dB. The amp does not like a complex load together with 2ohm resistive.
PMA-NC252MP_2ohm_THDNlevel.png

...... and THD+N vs. frequency into 2ohm at 168W
A250WxNC252MP_THD+Nfreq.png

4. Conclusion
The amp is working well with 4-8 load, not so well with 2ohm, however usable with this load with a music signal. However, it is not the amp the could have been called "rock-steady". It is just something we call "value for money".

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not many speakers go to 2 ohm. If it performs well above 3 its probably fine for 99% of all speakers.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I am about to confirm @amirm test results. Just measured my NC252MP implementation, which has probably the best possible cooling with large, full-size 19" - 3U aluminium box with side heatsinks. I have just made a set of measurements with 2ohm resistive load.

1. First, the noise floor with the forest of mains related lines is similar. Please take into account the graph is in dBV, so 0dBV=1V, in other words the amplitude in dB is related to 1Vrms.

View attachment 290552

2. Max. continuous power into 2 ohm load (but with only 1 channel driven) is 234W, then the amp protection shuts it down.
View attachment 290555

3. Below are the plots of THD and THD+N vs. power into 2ohm at 1kHz. Measuring bandwidth is a conservative 22kHz. It works well with a 2ohm resistor up to some point, like 10-20W, then the noise floor starts to have erratic behaviour and the power is limited, as shown above, to 234W with one channel driven. 5W/2ohm SINAD is 90dB. The amp does not like a complex load together with 2ohm resistive.
View attachment 290556

...... and THD+N vs. frequency into 2ohm at 168W
View attachment 290559

4. Conclusion
The amp is working well with 4-8 load, not so well with 2ohm, however usable with this load with a music signal. However, it is not the amp the could have been called "rock-steady". It is just something we call "value for money".

I get comparable results at 2 ohms with my NC250MP. It gives up a bit sooner, but the knee is about 100 watts.

Agree that it is not bad and is better than I would have thought based on Amir's results. :)

doug2761

Forum Donor
So if I was to go wiim mini, minidsp flex, this amp, 2 subs and the best speakers I can afford, I’d be all set? usage: small / medium living room
Or you could go with powered speakers like the Genelec. If I was starting over today and wanted to maximize performance then I'd probably do that. If my goal was to save money and get great results then I'd find a pair of second hand speakers and an amp like this. That's what I did. I already had the speakers and I sold my old high-dollar amp for about what I paid for it.

GabrielZM

Got this one just before the pandemics in January 2020 and very happy with it since. It is a great amplifier at bargain price and glad to see it test it and that my impressions are confirmed by numbers. Thank you amirm.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I just thought of great rookie question, and I would assume that I am incorrect.

But which is more important less noise or distortion? I would have to guess distortion

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For current hungry 2 ohms speakers it would be better to get the next up model in the MP line, the NC502MP, which is 2,5x the power for +56% the price in Audiophonics (or +30% the price in Buckeye in the US). IMO very much worth it.

MacCali

Major Contributor
For current hungry 2 ohms speakers it would be better to get the next up model in the MP line, the NC502MP, which is 2,5x the power for +56% the price in Audiophonics (or +30% the price in Buckeye in the US). IMO very much worth it.
Does more power mean more current though?

Talisman

Forum Donor
I just thought of great rookie question, and I would assume that I am incorrect.

But which is more important less noise or distortion? I would have to guess distortion
When you consider that many amplifiers with high levels of distortion are prized by some for their "musical" qualities, rest assured that it is much better to keep noise at bay than distortion

Top Bottom