• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp Review

Rate this Amplifier and DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 64.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 67 25.6%

• Total voters

Waxx

Major Contributor
I don't use one myself (it does not fit my system), but recommended them to some, and they are all extremely pleased with it. It's used with a variety of speakers (Kef Chorale, B&W 603 S2, Harbeth HL5+ & JBL 4309) and all love the amp. It's very easy to use for non technical users, reliable and good sounding.

marX

BTW, is it possible to high pass the speaker output for sub-integration?

FulyenCurtz

Just wanted to add that I bought one of these units based on the review here and my unit makes a high-pitched noise whenever the screen is on. Audiophonics' support says that this is normal, and they won't mark my product as defective. To return the item, I'd have to pay out-of-pocket for shipping from the US, and also pay customs since I'm not returning due to a defect. Overall a miserable experience with this company.

Fradu

I have also bought a DAW-S250NC and I have the high-pitched noise when the screen is on.
Once screen is off everything is all right.
But i'm pretty disappointed about this.

Maybe Audiophonics can make a new code for chose time of the screen is ON at startup and after change sources or volume :
- 0 s (always off)
- 1 s
- 15 s
- 40 s (actual default)

The screen stays ON in the menu.

I think Audiophonics listen to his consumers. (saw for an other upgrade)

marX

Just wanted to add that I bought one of these units based on the review here and my unit makes a high-pitched noise whenever the screen is on. Audiophonics' support says that this is normal, and they won't mark my product as defective. To return the item, I'd have to pay out-of-pocket for shipping from the US, and also pay customs since I'm not returning due to a defect. Overall a miserable experience with this company.
This is interesting.
Its an LCD screen, right?

marX

It's an OLED screen.
The after sales service say they look if it's possible to add option in september with the dev service.
That's good.

But I'm curious as to why it happens. For lcd screens there should be a white LED back light and may be the led pwm is messing with the amplifier signals?

But I don't know much about oleds.

Kobold

Just received the little brother da-s125nc.
Dc Offset at the speaker output is -37mV left channel and +91mV right channel.
Is it normal?

Fradu

I have also bought a DAW-S250NC and I have the high-pitched noise when the screen is on.
Once screen is off everything is all right.
But i'm pretty disappointed about this.

Maybe Audiophonics can make a new code for chose time of the screen is ON at startup and after change sources or volume :
- 0 s (always off)
- 1 s
- 15 s
- 40 s (actual default)

The screen stays ON in the menu.

I think Audiophonics listen to his consumers. (saw for an other upgrade)
Answer : unfortunately the delays are set in the screen control software and the 40 second timer cannot be modified.

So bad

Audiophonics

Dealer
For lcd screens there should be a white LED back light and may be the led pwm is messing with the amplifier signals?

But I don't know much about oleds.
There is no relation with amplifier signal, it's external mechanical noise, emitted by the OLED display module itself. Due to PWM current spikes into the coil.

Fradu

I would like to congratulate support for listening to customers.
Audiphonics changes defective screens if you send your device.
I asked to change it myself and it was accepted. It's very easy to do. All works perfectly.
Very happy to deal with a company that trusts its customers.

YaskataSt

Hi all,

noob question: I plan on getting this as an external amp for Marantz Cinema 70 AVR, that I will use for music and movies. Would that work?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hi all,

noob question: I plan on getting this as an external amp for Marantz Cinema 70 AVR, that I will use for music and movies. Would that work?
I do not believe so. This integrated amplifier has only digital inputs. I see no digital output on the back panel of the Marantz.

Nicolas_

I've had the DAW-S250NC since December '22 (I think I even pre-ordered it at the time), driving a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40s.
So far I've only used it with bluetooth and airplay. It says on Audiophonics website that the amp's wifi module is DLNA/UPnP compatible - I don't remember reading this particular feature at the time I bought it, and I also remember having trouble first connecting it to the WiFi (I had to press a button inside the case to reset it, I think that's why they later added the extra blinking button outside, which mine doesn't have).
During the conversation I had with the technical support then, I asked if I could stream music files from a NAS or from my computer's folders, and I was told that it was only possible through Airplay. I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't a real streamer.

Have the functionalities, and hence the blurb, changed since it first came out?
When I open the WiiM app on my phone, connected to the network, and browse the library, I only see the phone, I don't see the mac (my NAS is in another place unfortunately, can't test the feature). I don't see my mac when I search for devices under "home music share" either.

Also, the WiiM devices (mini, pro, pro plus, amp) now have EQ, and even parametric EQ for some. I don't see anything relating to EQ in the WiiM app, is it only available when the app controls a specific device? Does that mean that EQ necessitates actual hardware - physical electronic filters - (which my Audiophonics amp misses?) and cannot be done by digital source manipulation alone? How does that square with PEQ being expanded from 4 bands to possibly more in the future, by what I assumed - wrongly? - to be software update?

I'm completely ignorant in these matters and this is very confusing for me.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I've had the DAW-S250NC since December '22 (I think I even pre-ordered it at the time), driving a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40s.
So far I've only used it with bluetooth and airplay. It says on Audiophonics website that the amp's wifi module is DLNA/UPnP compatible - I don't remember reading this particular feature at the time I bought it, and I also remember having trouble first connecting it to the WiFi (I had to press a button inside the case to reset it, I think that's why they later added the extra blinking button outside, which mine doesn't have).
During the conversation I had with the technical support then, I asked if I could stream music files from a NAS or from my computer's folders, and I was told that it was only possible through Airplay. I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't a real streamer.

Have the functionalities, and hence the blurb, changed since it first came out?
When I open the WiiM app on my phone, connected to the network, and browse the library, I only see the phone, I don't see the mac (my NAS is in another place unfortunately, can't test the feature). I don't see my mac when I search for devices under "home music share" either.

Also, the WiiM devices (mini, pro, pro plus, amp) now have EQ, and even parametric EQ for some. I don't see anything relating to EQ in the WiiM app, is it only available when the app controls a specific device? Does that mean that EQ necessitates actual hardware - physical electronic filters - (which my Audiophonics amp misses?) and cannot be done by digital source manipulation alone? How does that square with PEQ being expanded from 4 bands to possibly more in the future, by what I assumed - wrongly? - to be software update?

I'm completely ignorant in these matters and this is very confusing for me.
So is it DLNA/UPnP compatible or not? Of course you need a server running on your NAS or computer for it to stream from. On our Synology we have MinimServer and Syno's own Media Server. We use Volumio on an RPi to stream from the NAS; does the DAW-S250NC run something similar?

Nicolas_

...does the DAW-S250NC run something similar?
I have no idea what the DAW-S250NC runs, tomorrow I'll send an email to tech support.
I do remember however that one year ago I was told by them that I could only stream my files on network connected devices from my computer, through bluetooth/airplay.
That's why I'm confused by the "DLNA/UPnP compatible" claim on their website, and wonder if something was updated in the meantime.
In my other place I have a Synology NAS, never had any issue sharing its files through my network obviously.
I've also tried setting up media sharing from my mac (which allegedly makes it work like a server, although no idea what protocol), but that didn't make it visible through the WiiM app - although I can't tell if I've done it right or not.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I have no idea what the DAW-S250NC runs, tomorrow I'll send an email to tech support.
I do remember however that one year ago I was told by them that I could only stream my files on network connected devices from my computer, through bluetooth/airplay.
That's why I'm confused by the "DLNA/UPnP compatible" claim on their website, and wonder if something was updated in the meantime.
In my other place I have a Synology NAS, never had any issue sharing its files through my network obviously.
I've also tried setting up media sharing from my mac (which allegedly makes it work like a server, although no idea what protocol), but that didn't make it visible through the WiiM app - although I can't tell if I've done it right or not.
We also use Macs. We're still on 10.14 Mojave and I don't see a Media Sharing option: File Sharing is just for AFP and SMB. Is Media Sharing an option in your OS, or is it a third party app?

Nicolas_

I'm on 14.0

First time I try to use this feature, it looks like I can choose how I want media shared ("bluetooth" "printer" and "internet" can be checked individually), and then I get the dialog box below. No idea how this works to be honest, and no idea if it relates to making the files on my mac streamable to the amp. Hopefully Audiophonics can clue me in on the DLNA/UPnP feature of the amp, and explain if I can use EQ of any kind through the WiiM app
Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom