• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt+ D Amplifier Review

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I have 90db efficient speakers, a medium size room and I don’t listen loudly. I’d be ok with 100 watts. Maybe even less. Heck the little Volt +D so far is just fine. The volume knob on my Soncoz SGD1 is cranked clockwise a lot further than it normally is though. ;)

If its ok its ok. A bigger power supply wont change much. If its not ok, you need higher efficient speakers or bigger guns. Or best both. ;)

howard416

Will there be any measurements of HD at different frequencies? The TPA3116D2 has rising distortion with increasing frequency. 5 kHz measurements would be very useful.

Upped

Yes I am working on it , it will take some time to be ready
Any updates on this new product? I'm interested especially if its going to have a metal case and measure as good or better then this one.
thanks for any updates or info :)

Poultrygeist

I still enjoy the original Volt+ which I mated to an Astron linear regulated power supply. Very inexpensive and a steal at it's low price.

For some new and strange reason every picture I try and post this site says it's too large. That was never a problem before and not a problem on the other audio forums that I frequent. This has been going on for some days now and no doubt will impact traffic. Pictures are the life blood of audio forums.

Marcos Mazur

I ask those who have already tested this amp powered with 19v, how does the Allo Volt + D (specifically) sound? Would using it with neutral dac and speakers result in a very bright and sibilance sound? (some reviews say that this amp has a clean but bright sound)

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

I've used 24v, 19v and currently 13.8v power supplies. Those three have one thing in common and that is they all sound good with the Volt+D. The 24v may provide more power but can't say that it's noticeable. The +D is not bright in my system.

Marcos Mazur

I've used 24v, 19v and currently 13.8v power supplies. Those three have one thing in common and that is they all sound good with the Volt+D. The 24v may provide more power but can't say that it's noticeable. The +D is not bright in my system.

Nice! The 19v power supply has an add-on to the amp on the website, it's a good idea.
Which speakers and dac did you use with this amp?

Poultrygeist

Nice! The 19v power supply has an add-on to the amp on the website, it's a good idea.
Which speakers and dac did you use with this amp?

I use a amp switcher that allows powering the Lowther DX3 MLTL's with the Volt+D in 2 channel or an AVR in 5.1. The DAC is a Topping D30 streaming Amazon Music HD.

I tried to post a picture but this site suddenly thinks my pictures are too large. I have never had this problem posting my pictures on Audio Karma, Audio Circle and HiFi Haven. Oh well it just means that I won't be participating here as often.

Paulz

Sorry if this is off topic, but I bought this amp and love it, but I just have a newbie question about the spl measurements compared to my crap 4 watt Chinese amp.

It's clear I prefer the Allo so that's a given. I'm really just curious: at any given volume setting, the spl levels at both one meter or any distance are at least 11 dbs down with the Allo compared to the tube amp. Sure the Allo is less distorted and gets quite loud quite cleanly, but I can just about max out its volume while the tube amp can put output so much more volume (11 db) and even if it has distortion is still in relative control. I can tell from uncongested, acoustic recordings.

The Allo drives a pair of Audio Nirvana 15 speakers, with a passive amp switching box, so I didn't know if they and their impedence were a problem or if it was something else I needed to know.

BTW, this is my new favorite audio website even and if especially I'm not a numerical person. Belive me, that speaks volumes for numericicity!

Poultrygeist

The Volt+D has an adjustable gain switch on the bottom. The passive switching box has no effect unless it's actually a passive preamp with a volume control. If you want greater SPL levels fronting with an active preamp works. Vintage tubes in that Chinese amp might change your opinion.

Paulz

Thanks for letting me know but I've already set the gain switch to the higher setting. Still the db difference is there. When, for example,I'm at 90 percent volume on the Allo (very loud but crystal clear), I'm about 60 percent on the tube amp (rated at 8 watts a channel but comparing to past tube amps I've had more like 5 watts) for the same volume with not that much distortion for a tube amp. The AN speakers are rated at 98 db for what that's worth.

I prefer the Allo from a fidelity standpoint but one of the secondary reasons I bought it was headroom, as I assumed that would be much higher.

Just seems odd to me.

robo

The Volt+D has an adjustable gain switch on the bottom.

Speaking of those gain switches, I've tried toggling them on my Volt+D and there is no audible difference. Is that to be expected? I thought i'd hear a noticeable volume difference.

Paulz

I do notice some (but not a big) difference in output between the two settings but even with the higher setting it still has significantly less output than my 5 watt or so tube amp with Audio Nirvana 15 inch full range drivers. I think the Allo sounds great though and it does get loud, just not nearly as much headroom as I expected. Now I begin trying to rationalize a Hypex amp! :eek:

Poultrygeist

I do notice some (but not a big) difference in output between the two settings but even with the higher setting it still has significantly less output than my 5 watt or so tube amp with Audio Nirvana 15 inch full range drivers. I think the Allo sounds great though and it does get loud, just not nearly as much headroom as I expected. Now I begin trying to rationalize a Hypex amp! :eek:

Are the AN 15's 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

Poultrygeist

They are rated 8 ohms with around 96db efficiency.

I have 96 db 8 ohm speakers which the Volt+D drives with ease even using a 13.8v power supply. If you want more headroom you can add an $31 FX-Audio tube preamp for it's extra gain.

Paulz

That IS a good idea and I might just do that. But to be honest I was just curious as a rather non-techical person what is going on, er, technically speaking, with low watt tube amp v 30 watt d class amp output-wise. I'm a happy camper with both amps, and will happily take your advice (because even i can tell you know what you're talking about!) on replacing tubes though!

Many Thanks

Paulz

Poultrygejst, FYI, I just went to amazon and noticed FX has several different preamps... is there one you might recommend? Tubes and gain on the Allo sounds good!

Reactions: SMc

Poultrygeist

Not that yours does but a low watt tube amp can soft clip and still sound good. The FX-Audio Tube-01 is my choice but the more expensive
Japanese version has a variable gain switch which gives it an advantage.

Top Bottom