• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima’s TPA3255 PFFB based amplifier, coming soon

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear FMs,

I heard from Aiyima that their TPA3255 PFFB based amplifier is coming soon.

I will keep on posting more news and information in this thread on this topic.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
funny arms race

we know the other side is doing this too with the help from 'other designs'

i think people will say that whoever comes 2nd copied whoever was 1st to market

i also think this puts paid the thought that adding this feature is going to 'double the price of the unit'... we will see of course but with two companies in this race one cannot expect much higher prices and we cannot see any collusion going on

and so this is a good example of capitalism filling a void... the market wants this feature, companies work to meet this market demand

JSmith

Master Contributor

jayapple

Fosi seems to be working on it too, I don't know who will launch the product first, but I'm sure the price will not be very high. Looking forward to the test results and listening experience!

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Fosi seems to be working on it too, I don't know who will launch the product first, but I'm sure the price will not be very high. Looking forward to the test results and listening experience!
Normally Fosi do publish some early information in their products but don’t think I have heard anything about their PFFB product coming soon.
However I do know that Fosi did order a few pre-built PFFB board from some designer, don’t know what they are doing with it though.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
fosi have a few products coming out like an analog xlr preamp and a matching ZD3 dac

it is hard to tell how far along these guys are but these companies are sitting on a lot of stock so why telegraph a better V2 when you have a lot of V1.0 products out there

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I just hope one of the folks in the current "arms race" will eventually focus on a good solid state preamp to pair with the various Class D amps...

mcdn

Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its not a 'secret' in as far as you can buy products like this today... but its a slog

as been pointed out TI themselves publish docs on how to do this... its just that few people have bothered until people have asked for it

FURTHER to this some people are putting it out there that it "costs a lot to implement" and that justifies the $300-$400 or more price tag.

My response to that is... let' see how that plays out.

mcdn

Forum Donor
What isn’t a secret?
That TPA3255 modules with PFFB exist and have been tested. How they perform in a specific manufacturer’s sold product will be almost entirely down to the power supply.

Aiyama, Fosi and so on use external power bricks to avoid the need to certify a “whole box” for AC safety. That’s fine but it does limit the power these modules can produce. 51V/10A is what the TPA3255 can work with, but you won’t see that in a brick supply!

The other significant point of difference between TPA3255 implementations is the output inductors - TI have a nice spreadsheet comparing them.

The point is, all these amps will measure the same if they have a good output inductor and power supply and are screwed together right.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

That TPA3255 modules with PFFB exist and have been tested. How they perform in a specific manufacturer’s sold product will be almost entirely down to the power supply.

Aiyama, Fosi and so on use external power bricks to avoid the need to certify a “whole box” for AC safety. That’s fine but it does limit the power these modules can produce. 51V/10A is what the TPA3255 can work with, but you won’t see that in a brick supply!

The other significant point of difference between TPA3255 implementations is the output inductors - TI have a nice spreadsheet comparing them.

The point is, all these amps will measure the same if they have a good output inductor and power supply and are screwed together right.

You are right, PFFB isn't any secret now and probably 3255 PFFB amps will be more common going forward.
About higher voltage PSU, Topping PA7 Plus comes with 52V 6.6A brick PSU.

Don't know if they all will measure same or not, more probably similar than different, but customers are going to have several options to choose from.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think a the current manufacturers on their power charts do have power figures for 48v 10-12a psus but that's not what is widely available

be that as it may this doesnt bother me

so far has anyone truly ran out of power on a 48v 5a psu which are widely available?

xschop

Do you think it will have the same case enclosure dimensions as the original A07?

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Do you think it will have the same case enclosure dimensions as the original A07?
I would assume more along the lines of A07 Max with probably slightly bigger size, Max has much better enclosure in every aspect than original A07.

xschop

I agree, the original A07 case needed top-bottom ventilation and better aesthetics.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the original A07 case looked cheap and nasty... and wouldnt it be too small for all these added features

i would almost assume they would just stick it in the A07 Max case with an orange knob? maybe?

it looks like going forward the Fosi ZA3 case with the middle under indent will be the official case as it looks like its being used in the ZD3 dac and the upcoming un-named analog preamp.

Top Bottom