• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima’s TPA3255 PFFB based amplifier, coming soon

xschop

I would like the same simplicity/function as the original A07 + PFFB. Nichicon caps would be a welcomed bonus too.

I will reverse engineer the Cheap'n'Nasty case first thing.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Once they know how to make PFFB work they can probably do a version with cheaper output inductors than the A07 to get similar performance without the load sensitivity.

xschop

Once they know how to make PFFB work they can probably do a version with cheaper output inductors than the A07 to get similar performance without the load sensitivity.
What would be the ideal inductors to use for upgrade?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
What would be the ideal inductors to use for upgrade?
No idea - depends on price, availability and performance. The TI app notes for inductor selection and PFFB show performance for a few different ones, but there are many more out there. We're normally looking at PFFB as a way of getting better performance out of the amp, but it can also be used to get the same performance with cheaper bill of materials.

jooc

FURTHER to this some people are putting it out there that it "costs a lot to implement" and that justifies the $300-$400 or more price tag.

In this case (PFFB boards) it really does cost a premium to implement though, doesn't it? I mean this isn't going to be an A07 even though it's based on the same chip.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In this case (PFFB boards) it really does cost a premium to implement though, doesn't it? I mean this isn't going to be an A07 even though it's based on the same chip.
It would surely cost more, but 4 or 5 times really?
At least with Aiyima, I have seen anything and everything priced very competitively.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It depends what you're trying to achieve. See https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa788a/slaa788a.pdf - contains component values for a few Rs and Cs to add PFFB to the evaluation modules, with before and after measurements. Those components aren't expensive, and could get you improved performance at a small premium. If you're aiming for the highest performance you might move to multilayer boards and make a composite amplifier which will cost more. https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa242a/sloa242a.pdf demonstrates the performance changes due to changing inductors. The good ones are a relatively expensive component, so often a target when cost cutting. If you balance the cheaper inductor against the extra Rs and Cs you can probably get similar distortion performance and price but without the load dependency.

SonicSleuth

Wondom sure electronics build a 4 Chanel tpa3255 amp whith adau1701 dsp.
Design same wondom jab5.
Oh interesting a DSP too.

l-6.png

xschop

Any idea on ETA for the new Aiyima with PFFB?
I'd like to build another A07 based amp if they are no too far out...

I Ran my billet A07 amp all day yesterday and still this morning, hooked up to the modded CX100's and the Polk RM-1000 subwoofer in the bedroom... Amp case finally started getting warm after 6 hr's playtime 3/4 volume....
B)

XS Amp CX-100 RM1000.jpg

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Why so blurry? Shame they didn't up their style like Fosi.
Details not fully disclosed yet, I will add more pics and details as I get those.
It looks pretty similar to their A200 amp case.
At least we can see it has RCA and balanced trs/xlr both, along with subout (as opposed to aux out).

SonicSleuth

Yes all good things, thanks for keeping us informed! nice to have the option of RCA / XLR unlike my current DIY TPA3255.

Hope the sub out is controlled by volume with some kind of filter.

They need to do away with the dated and frankly cheap fonts and graphics near the volume knob, everyone knows how to use a volume knob, it gets louder when you turn up and quieter when you turn it down. Some subtile dots, beginning center and end would be fine. They GOTTA up their game, looks matter! Why make a product LOOK cheap when you can make it look premium, with nothing more than a little thought?

An example, simple design, modern fonts, no fluff.

Screenshot_20240202-125029_eBay.jpg

Looks to have some kind of rotary knob on the rear too, balance? I have channel imbalance I have to alter it on my WiiM Pro 0.35 to the left to get centered image.

Last edited:
OP
Guddu

Guddu

Why is it blurry like a bigfoot or loch ness picture. You're pulling our leg aren't you.
Not at all, wish I could have better pics but I will try getting more if possible.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Yes all good things, thanks for keeping us informed! nice to have the option of RCA / XLR unlike my current DIY TPA3255.

Hope the sub out is controlled by volume with some kind of filter.

They need to do away with the dated and frankly cheap fonts and graphics near the volume knob, everyone knows how to use a volume knob, it gets louder when you turn up and quieter when you turn it down. Some subtile dots, beginning center and end would be fine. They GOTTA up their game, looks matter! Why make a product LOOK cheap when you can make it look premium, with nothing more than a little thought?

An example, simple design, modern fonts, no fluff.

View attachment 346806

Looks to have some kind of rotary knob on the rear too, balance? I have channel imbalance I have to alter it on my WiiM Pro 0.35 to the left to get centered image.

I guess their comparatively lower price restrict them and they are probably doing the best they could keeping price low. I would definitely prefer better looking product for slightly more cost, Fosi are doing better job with looks.

Hollywood_Bob

About a year ago I was reading a review of class d amps on an asian forum, including amps like the sabaj a30a and the bluesound powernode edge, both of which have pffb through the axign 5689, and the reviewer said that the patent for the axign would expire soon and he expected to see more amps with pffb. I was using google translate to read the review, and I couldn't find anything about a patent for the axign 5689, so I didn't think too much about the patent expiry comment, but there weren't many amps with the axign 5689, maybe because of the cost. Patent related.

But the data sheet for the TPA 3255 says it's had pffb since 2018.

So it is an odd coincidence that its only now, 6 years after the TPA 3255 has had the pffb capability, and maybe after a recent patent expiry for the axign pffb, that companies are only now coming out with amps with pffb using the TPA3255.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
My guess is that they are connectors that are not yet in place. To the right power in is obvious and maybe usb for firmware, and to the left.... I hope for a trigger in, but knowing aiyimas love for aux output.... Intriguing is what would be on left top, seems something to turn. I will dream of an adjustable high pass (not happening)

Top Bottom