• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
youtube revenue is a tiny fraction of google's total revenue and probably costs them about as much also. i dont feel sorry for them im just stating that youtube isnt the huge money printing machine that some people think it is.
500 hours of video is uploaded to youtube every minute and probably the majority of those videos will only get like 2 views. and of those views probably a good amount of people are using adblock thus earning youtube no money. and of those people who not have adblock most of them dont click on ads again earning youtube little to no money.
Really?
From a The Verge article dated February 3, 2020.

The announcement marks the first time in YouTube’s nearly 15 years as a Google-owned platform, since Google bought the website in 2006 for $1.65 billion, that the company has revealed how much money YouTube-hosted ads contribute to the search giant’s bottom line.
YOUTUBE CONTRIBUTES 10 PERCENT TO GOOGLE’S OVERALL REVENUE
On an annual basis, Google says YouTube generated $15 billion last year and contributed roughly 10 percent to all Google revenue. Those figures make YouTube’s ad business nearly one fifth the size of Facebook’s, and more than six times larger than all of Amazon-owned Twitch.

spartaman64

Really?
From a The Verge article dated February 3, 2020.

The announcement marks the first time in YouTube’s nearly 15 years as a Google-owned platform, since Google bought the website in 2006 for $1.65 billion, that the company has revealed how much money YouTube-hosted ads contribute to the search giant’s bottom line.
YOUTUBE CONTRIBUTES 10 PERCENT TO GOOGLE’S OVERALL REVENUE
On an annual basis, Google says YouTube generated $15 billion last year and contributed roughly 10 percent to all Google revenue. Those figures make YouTube’s ad business nearly one fifth the size of Facebook’s, and more than six times larger than all of Amazon-owned Twitch.
thats revenue not profit and youtube probably demands the most server space out of anything google does so probably makes up more than 10% of google's operating expense

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thats revenue not profit and youtube probably demands the most server space out of anything google does so probably makes up more than 10% of google's operating expense
You're determined to argue that server costs are higher than the revenue generated by YT. Please provide some evidence.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're determined to argue that server costs are higher than the revenue generated by YT. Please provide some evidence.
Have you seen their data centers?

Remember when you upload a video, they aren’t just storing that single large video file video. They compress it and generate the dozen resolutions offered, and in HFR, HDR, AAC & OPUS audio, 3D, 360°, etc. Also, for videos with lots of views, they store them in multiple data centers so that you can access it via one closer to you (load up a music video from a famous musician and it instantly loads, find a video from 8 years ago with <1000 views and it takes a second or two).

Saying they are storing over 10TB/second would be a vast understatement.

And I know they have auto-flagging, but I can’t imagine how many employees they have dealing with video takedowns/de-monitozation/strikes/etc.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you seen their data centers?

Remember when you upload a video, they aren’t just storing that single large video file video. They compress it and generate the dozen resolutions offered, and in HFR, HDR, AAC & OPUS audio, 3D, 360°, etc. Also, for videos with lots of views, they store them in multiple data centers so that you can access it via one closer to you (load up a music video from a famous musician and it instantly loads, find a video from 8 years ago with <1000 views and it takes a second or two).

Saying they are storing over 10TB/second would be a vast understatement.

And I know they have auto-flagging, but I can’t imagine how many employees they have dealing with video takedowns/de-monitozation/strikes/etc.
So they're losing money and doing it all for the common good of man?

Artsfols

Here's a method that gets around the ads, to a degree, and it's perfectly legit.

If you embed the video into a WordPress blog ... no ads. At least that was the case up until the last time I checked. So, what you do is pin a thread at the top of this forum with a link to a Word Press blog and organize each video by subject on the blog with a bit of a text wrapper.

From the viewer perspective, consider subscribing to youtube premium. I have the family version that allows 5 independent users to access youtube ad-free. You also get access to the 'music.youtube.com' music streaming site with all the albums released by Love including 'Alone Again Or', 'Forever Changes' and their eponymous first release. Under $20 a month for 5 people to access wherever they may be. Not a bad deal.

Artsfols

I'm confused-what does that have to do with YouTube? I'd imagine they have the most advanced hardware money can buy and lots of it. You do know how much revenue YT brings in? motherboards probably are a very small line item for them. Don't feel sorry for them. Look up the stats. Bill Gates is envious of their revenue.

They use garbage hardware by design. They cleverly cool the equipment by convection with little or no air conditioning. The book 'In the Plex' by Steven Levy works through the history and growth of Google with a great deal of technical insight. Recommended.

spartaman64

no they are doing it for mindshare. as an example the next time you buy a phone or something you see google pixel and you think oh i know google i watch videos on their site and you buy their phone.

Artsfols

Like you, I'm going with "licence to print money". Interestingly though, they think BIG before they think about how to monetize. I think when Microsoft was offering a few measly mb free with Hotmail, Google came along and offered a gig, when a gig was a huge amount of space. Incredible story.
But they can drive you nuts with constant tuning and changes to the software base, rolling out releases that are half baked, et cetera. They don't think twice about dropping software that many people are using. The list of killed projects is long.
https://killedbygoogle.com/ if you're interested.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly wouldn't worry. The vast majority of youtube viewers understand youtube is deciding what to serve and not the content provider. Advertisers pay youtube and youtube decides how to match ads with viewers. I hope you at least get your well earned cut of the revenue. I can only hope that your audio cables video gets youtube ads for audioquest cables. I think that would be amazing endgame irony!

I have a dream where audioquest pays amir to tell people their cables are worthless right alongside their advertisements!

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I honestly wouldn't worry. The vast majority of youtube viewers understand youtube is deciding what to serve and not the content provider. Advertisers pay youtube and youtube decides how to match ads with viewers. I hope you at least get your well earned cut of the revenue. I can only hope that your audio cables video gets youtube ads for audioquest cables. I think that would be amazing endgame irony!

I have a dream where audioquest pays amir to tell people their cables are worthless right alongside their advertisements!
Agree. If you watch a video bashing Klipsch speakers, you might get bombarded with Klipsch ads. As long as you don't put an affiliate link in the description or plug a sponsor, all the advertising just comes from the highest bidder, likely based on the category above all else.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Maybe they are, but they're also making money doing it. At least according to their financial report: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1652044/000165204421000010/goog-20201231.htm

Looks like YouTube ads represent 10.8 % of Google's revenue. Operating income/loss isn't spelled out for YouTube specifically. It's rolled in with "Google Services" but it's rather difficult to argue that Google/Alphabet isn't making money on their services.

Just saying...

Tom

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.05.23.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.05.23.png
    417.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.08.01.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 12.08.01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77

Tks

Major Contributor
Maybe they are, but they're also making money doing it. At least according to their financial report: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1652044/000165204421000010/goog-20201231.htm

Looks like YouTube ads represent 10.8 % of Google's revenue. Operating income/loss isn't spelled out for YouTube specifically. It's rolled in with "Google Services" but it's rather difficult to argue that Google/Alphabet isn't making money on their services.

Just saying...

Tom

It's impossible to make the argument they aren't making money, simply due to how Google operates, and it's laundry list and history of dropping services the moment it's not working well for them.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seems like a very "business" thing to do. Do more of what works. Drop what doesn't. Many businesses have gone under because they kept doing what didn't work hoping that it would some day work. That's not to say that patience can't have its benefits too.

Tom

Aerith Gainsborough

Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.
I'd never use the Internet w/o one.
It's boggling my mind how people can withstand that barrage of advertisement.

Not to mention potential security risks.

Katji

Major Contributor
In some ways, Google is the main security risk.
And if I didn't really need Uber (Google Maps) sometimes, I would buy a Huawei P40 today.
And F###book. (Although that I gave up in 2018 after the 3rd time getting the ID verification problem thanks to a certain military intel persecuting me. (You'd be surprised. Shxt is real.)

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Seems like a very "business" thing to do. Do more of what works. Drop what doesn't. Many businesses have gone under because they kept doing what didn't work hoping that it would some day work. That's not to say that patience can't have its benefits too.

Tom

Google drops too many services and products too quickly, and as a result is has a bad reputation as unreliable. Personally I avoid Google products/services except a few like search, mail and chromecast that I believe (hope) will be around for a while. I also think that when Google buys a company it's likely to be a kiss-of-death to the aquired companies products.

All in all I never forget that Google is first and foremost an advertisement company and everything they do is to support that.

Plcamp

Is it possible to discover who paid for the ads? If so you could consider a video specifically calling them out for that?

Top Bottom