• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha AS 3200 does not sound as good as Yamaha r-n2000a

OP
D

dman777

Because it bypasses the pre-amp. And turns it basically into a Poweramp.

It applies full volume
Wow, I see... it is a full on amp without integrated. Now this has gotten me started to think 'I wonder how the Yamaha m-5000 sounds?'

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Wow, I see... it is a full on amp without integrated. Now this has gotten me started to think 'I wonder how the Yamaha m-5000 sounds?'
Probably the same.. but more likely whatever you are going to imagine into it.
Both these amps that you are using now are plenty powerful.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have the budget, the M-5000 is great. It’s very low noise. But you may be fine using your N2000 with a basic HypeX amp since Marantz has said the preamp is responsible for the sound of the PM-10 and if the HypeX’s very low noise is good enough.

The big weakness of the N2000 as I understand is that it only has unbalanced outputs. This increases the likelihood of a ground loop and doesn’t leverage the M5000 to its full potential.

A good value priced amp, maybe even a Monoprice made-in-USA by ATI will have a ground connector, which I would use to tie the ground of your N2000 and the amp.

OP
D

dman777

The big weakness of the N2000 as I understand is that it only has unbalanced outputs. This increases the likelihood of a ground loop and doesn’t leverage the M5000 to its full potential.
I see on the Yamaha website the N2000 as 'Floating and balanced power amplifier and symmetrical construction'. So, the outputs and inputs are best if they are unbalanced rather than balanced?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see on the Yamaha website the N2000 as 'Floating and balanced power amplifier and symmetrical construction'. So, the outputs and inputs are best if they are unbalanced rather than balanced?
When you use the N2000 or AS3200 as an integrated, all of the signals stay in balanced format. This gives you the lowest noise.

When you use unbalanced inputs, your source isn’t sending its highest quality output and then the Yamaha has to convert unbalanced to balanced. Likewise, when you send the N2000 pre out to the input of your amp, you also convert from balanced to unbalanced.

That’s why, in the ideal world, you wouldn’t have to make that conversion. It may be inaudible…

OP
D

dman777

When you use the N2000 or AS3200 as an integrated, all of the signals stay in balanced format. This gives you the lowest noise.

When you use unbalanced inputs, your source isn’t sending its highest quality output and then the Yamaha has to convert unbalanced to balanced. Likewise, when you send the N2000 pre out to the input of your amp, you also convert from balanced to unbalanced.

That’s why, in the ideal world, you wouldn’t have to make that conversion. It may be inaudible…
By any chance, do you know if the Accuphase e-650 and the Luxman 595 AES have unbalanced input and outputs?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You can always use Toslink input to internal DAC of N2000 if ground loops are concern. Yamaha has a very good unbalanced inputs rated at 110 dB on their solo amplifiers like A-S700 or A-S3200 so difference between those and balanced one's won't be noticeable as long as you don't catch a ground loop. On integrated rating is lower (as other components do influence it - EMI) but those have plethora of other inputs if you intend to use embedded DAC on them (in case of N2000; HDMI, USB, optical coaxial and Toslink...) and Yamaha does do a good DAC integration (back from Burr Brown day's).
When mentioning ATI you can check their Hypex solo lines, they come with good warranty, balanced and unbalanced inputs but aren't exactly cheap. Good value amp is old A-S700, this all is over priced but you pay either for performance you can't hear or cosmetic (tuch, feel, VU meters and owners pride).

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By any chance, do you know if the Accuphase e-650 and the Luxman 595 AES have unbalanced input and outputs?

The E650 does. It will be a superior integrated based upon measurements but it won’t have the loudness that you like from the N2000 or the YPAO.

Luxman is like the Yamaha. Main In and Pre Out are unbalanced.

You can always use Toslink input to internal DAC of N2000 if ground loops are concern.
I was just thinking about N2000 as preamp. The N2000 stays balanced with the digital inputs as far as I know. I just realized it has no balanced in or out.

But, I think the N2000A may be the only premium product that has the variable loudness control knob.

Personally, I would pair the N2000A with different speakers. Maybe instead of going for the Accuphase or M5000, you go for one of the new Yamaha speakers

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The E650 does. It will be a superior integrated based upon measurements but it won’t have the loudness that you like from the N2000 or the YPAO.

I was just thinking about N2000 as preamp. The N2000 stays balanced with the digital inputs as far as I know. I just realized it has no balanced in or out.

But, I think the N2000A may be the only premium product that has the variable loudness control knob.

Personally, I would pair the N2000A with different speakers. Maybe instead of going for the Accuphase or M5000, you go for one of the new Yamaha speakers
Well if I whose you I would consider something like DSP Flex for preamp and DSP procesor for lot less money in a flavour (balanced, unbalanced or optical and how much analog output chenels) you need and when you determine that. It doesn't have equal loudness normalisation but I don't think Yamahas either have it on anything other than main outputs which is problematic when you trow in cuple sub's. For that purpose I use JRiver (in intermediate roll as WDM driver Windows desktop/laptop) as software player - processor and preamp trough DAC as it have Loudness (normalisation ISO 226 2003) trough internal volume controls (with remote app of course). Works fine especially with multichannel DAC.
Best regards and have a nice time.

OP
D

dman777

Correct

From what I understand, the comp button is the loudness button (in my research comp used to be the name used for loudness in the old days)

If I understand correctly, the Accuphase e-650 has main and pre out balanced? Also, I thought the Yamaha A-S3200

That good advice. I am pretty excited by this hobby and I want to also have a class a amp, so I am deciding between the Accuphase e-650 or the Luxman 595 aes while they still are available. Later on this year, I plan on upgrading my speakers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't have equal loudness normalisation but I don't think Yamahas either have it on anything other than main outputs which is problematic when you trow in cuple sub's.
That’s a weakness of Dirac which is why some people like Audyssey in their home theater.

From what I understand, the comp button is the loudness button (in my research comp used to be the name used for loudness in the old days)

1691432336906.png

The Accuphase compensation doesn’t boost the treble, just the bass. Can only access via front panel as well, not the remote.

If I understand correctly, the Accuphase e-650 has main and pre out balanced? Also, I thought the Yamaha A-S3200

No. The Yamaha has two balanced inputs but the bypass mode and preout is unbalanced.

Even the Marantz PM-10 which is fully balanced lacks any pre out and the bypass mode is unbalanced.

That good advice. I am pretty excited by this hobby and I want to also have a class an amp, so I am deciding between the Accuphase e-650 or the Luxman 595 aes while they still are available. Later on this year, I plan on upgrading my speakers.

If it were me, I would pick up a classic Accuphase P-102 which can be converted to 117V via a jumper and use your R2000A.

The E650 is a better Yamaha AS3200 but you like the loudness of the N2000A.

This consider this speaker at $8k instead.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yamahas loudness normalisation (full - 30 dB):
Screenshot_20230623-185358.png

ISO 226 2003 from JRiver:
1574203824523.jpeg

Regarding speakers how about Warfadale Linton's (with stands) and pair of SVS sub's like SB-1000 for a little more than 2K US $? Along with basic acoustic treatment of listening room (wall behind speakers with absorber panels and corners). We tend to recommend measured things around hire.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Here are more measurements

TimF

Forum Donor
The magazine What Hi Fi claims the Yamaha AS3200 presentation lacks verve, whatever that means. Regarding volume knobs, in the last few years the knobs on high end kitchen stoves have become a key design feature and have grown to be highlight features....large and prominent. I am tempted to write something here about women who go the extra distance to add to the prominence of their breasts but that is not a wise direction to go so I won't. In any event, it wouldn't be too hard to replace the volume knob that came with the amplifier with a larger one off a high end kitchen stove.
hrd3088u~dual~fuel_70b19.jpg

OP
D

dman777

I am really enjoying the sound now that I am using the main input, thanks! Question, please... is it best to have the REL sub on the n2000 sub out in this set up? I tried it through the preout out on the 3200 but it sounded a tad bit more stronger on the n2000 sub out

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am really enjoying the sound now that I am using the main input, thanks! Question, please... is it best to have the REL sub on the n2000 sub out in this set up? I tried it through the preout out on the 3200 but it sounded a tad bit more stronger on the n2000 sub out
Shouldn't "sound" different....unless level or settings are different (usual reason for "differences" generally is just level). Better to get a better sub than Rel IMO, or better bass management tools.

mekintosh

a blind shootout with the base Yamaha 701/801 vs. any of the AS1200+ series would be funny
the as1200 is superior to as701 by not measurable extent, it is a different world … the as2200 is better than as1200 mainly by the XLR. All In connection with Velvet E70 DAC, same speakers, same cables, for 2200 used XLR cables with 35pf instead of RCA. the trebble is just great, very musical and capable amplifier, that is just too much for background listening, it needs full attention because the details it produces.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the as1200 is superior to as701 by not measurable extent, it is a different world … the as2200 is better than as1200 mainly by the XLR. All In connection with Velvet E70 DAC, same speakers, same cables, for 2200 used XLR cables with 35pf instead of RCA. the trebble is just great, very musical and capable amplifier, that is just too much for background listening, it needs full attention because the details it produces.
Welcome.

XLR usually outputs twice as much voltage as RCA, so any gear will sound "different" in that kind of comparison.
for 2200 used XLR cables with 35pf
You definitely don't need that. ;)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Well then, let’s go with that blind test! Should be easy.
If it’s a different world you are going to need some very long cables to do the test…

Top Bottom