• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to get instead of Yamaha R-N2000A?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mac products do not play hi res lossless Fully.
A Mac mini can play any resolution available in Audio MIDI and available to your USB DAC.

I use 24/192 personally.

I don’t know about DSD if you prefer that.

mtnbikerva1

If I remember correctly you have to for every song go to your settings and change it to high resolution lossless you can’t set it one time and listen for the rest the day you have to literally every song go and change it. I’m pretty sure even then it may not play out for high resolution lossless, due to hardware limitations. Also high resolution, lossless I could be wrong on that though.
It is stupid to me that Apple makes it either totally impossible, or practically impossible to play their high resolution lossless audio, through most, if not all of their products. I’m fairly sure that no Apple product will. Apple will tell you that it will but then if you look at when it’s passing through the lightning port, that right there tells you that it won’t pass through resolution lossless, and then the stunted/dumbed down the USB-C ports also.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I remember correctly you have to for every song go to your settings and change it to high resolution lossless you can’t set it one time and listen for the rest the day you have to literally every song go and change it. I’m pretty sure even then it may not play out for high resolution lossless, due to hardware limitations. Also high resolution, lossless I could be wrong on that though.
It is stupid to me that Apple makes it either totally impossible, or practically impossible to play their high resolution lossless audio, through most, if not all of their products. I’m fairly sure that no Apple product will. Apple will tell you that it will but then if you look at when it’s passing through the lightning port, that right there tells you that it won’t pass through resolution lossless, and then the stunted/dumbed down the USB-C ports also.
Yes there is an issue with AirPlay but once you have a usb cable then it can pass 192/24 even from iPhones and iPads leave alone Macs.

Now the sample rate changing issue is only an issue if it is for you.

I just keep it at 192/24 and allow it to upsample as needed. It is mathematically correct. I also keep the output down about 3dB to prevent oversample errors - just in case. It’s probably a non issue on Macs but I just do it to play it safe.

Windows on the other hand i’m not sure. But I would entertain a $200 stick PC and keep the final level down 3dB also just in case.

For HDMI and airplay I use a Blusound Node. I believe AirPlay to any device has the 24/48 limitation. Except the Apple Vision Pro and maybe the AirPods Max.

But PC/Mac playing to a usb dac - I use topping D10s - can pass 192/24.

Last edited:

mtnbikerva1

Yes there is an issue with AirPlay but once you have a usb cable then it can pass 192/24 even from iPhones and iPads leave alone Macs.

Now the sample rate changing issue is only an issue if it is for you.

I just keep it at 192/24 and allow it to upsample as needed. It is mathematically correct. I also keep the output down about 3dB to prevent oversample errors - just in case. It’s probably a non issue on Macs but I just do it to play it safe.

Windows on the other hand i’m not sure. But I would entertain a $200 stick PC and keep the final level down 3dB also just in case.

For HDMI and airplay I use a Blusound Node. I believe AirPlay to any device has the 24/48 limitation. Except the Apple Vision Pro and maybe the AirPods Max.

But PC/Mac playing to a usb dac - I use topping D10s - can pass 192/24.
Does your DAC show/prove it is getting 24 bit 192khz on every song with your MAC?
How about from your phone, Apple TV, iPad?
I would be very pleasantly surprised if any of these devices allow 24 bit 192 kHz to pass through. If so, something must’ve changed, because last are red, apple head, decreased the capability of the USB-C ports also and then obviously, the lightning was never capable, and obviously any kind of through the airwaves could not do it either .

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does your DAC show/prove it is getting 24 bit 192khz on every song with your MAC?
How about from your phone, Apple TV, iPad?
I would be very pleasantly surprised if any of these devices allow 24 bit 192 kHz to pass through. If so, something must’ve changed, because last are red, apple head, decreased the capability of the USB-C ports also and then obviously, the lightning was never capable, and obviously any kind of through the airwaves could not do it either .
Yes the DAC confirms it. At least it shows 192. The bits are shown in Audio MIDI and can go to 32 bits. Most of it is bit padding anyway. I bet all internal calculations are done in 32 bit anyway. 16 bits of dynamic range are more than enough unless you have an anechoic chamber. Try to get your noise floor down below 40dB. With 16 bit you’d have to listen at 150+ dB to notice that dynamic range anyway.

I don’t know about Apple TV.

However iPhone iPad and Mac will happily pass 192/24. Lightning is capable. It’s just that AirPlay is not.

A Mac has to. Jacob Collier mixes and masters totally on a Mac for example.

Macs are used to create much of what we listen to.

I’m not aware of the USB C issue. Could you post a link to this issue?

Haskil

Forum Donor
It's just iTunes-Music which does not change the bit depth and sampling frequency alone and Airplay which is limited to 48 kHZ, but MACs computer pass 24/192 on their USB output (and formerly 24/96 when they had an optical Spdif output.)
With Audirvana and Roon we verify it: Raat passes 24/192 and UpNP too.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also if one thinks Macs don’t pass 192/24 there is always Windows. Music is created mixed and mastered on Windows too.

I’m just suggesting a PC source as it will be capable and compatible with everything and anything.

A box you buy for $2000 may lose support at some point.

Maybe. Maybe not. I prefer not to chance it.

I have all sorts of boxes like that lying around. The only one that still has support is the Metric Halo. I mean also the Squeezeboxes through community support.

But the transporter was code locked and at some point I had to email my EBay seller who thankfully responded with the code.

Overseas

Major Contributor
What is to support re. RN2000? Just Musiccast, the streamer, so in 10 yrs time it will stay and work the same with no updates.

What you get only with Rn2000 is Ypao by the push of a button.

Unless you do not need those.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is to support re. RN2000? Just Musiccast, the streamer, so in 10 yrs time it will stay and work the same with no updates.

What you get only with Rn2000 is Ypao by the push of a button.

Unless you do not need those.
I mean more that Chinese $2000 box. Yamaha you can buy blindfolded.

OP
N

ncfrak

Thank you everyone for contributing.
I wanted the VU meters so bad, but in the end, I chose simplicity. And, I hope, without sacrificing high quality audio.

Here is what I ended up with:

- Buchardt A10
- Primare SC15 Prisma MK2 (pre-amp, analog input, streamer, DAC, room correction)

=> no need to have HDMI ARC as I adjust the video sound through my Apple TV remote (the Apple TV is connected to the SC15 AirPlay receiver).
=> Also, I did not investigate as I don't need but with the SC15 remote there is a thing that replaces the HDMI Arc.

I must say that WiSA is very enjoyable and a major plus when setting up the whole system.
It is very flexible.
In the room, I have the 2 A10 speakers on one side and the SC15 with the turntable on another side, and I could have the Apple TV in yet another location (in my case it is just nearside) and it would work without cable constraints.

Also, when I launch Spotify connect, the SC15 wakes up (takes 30 seconds I think to connect to the A10s) automatically.

Anyways, I wanted to let you all know what my setup was :).

Attachments

• IMG_0104 - Grande.jpeg
    IMG_0104 - Grande.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom