• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha Pre Outs Not Working In This Configuration

dman777

Question, please... I have a

Yamaha r-n2000a which I use a preamp to the Yamaha AS-3200. The Yamaha r-n2000a pre outs are used/taken to go to the main on the Yamaha AS-3200. Since I am using the Yamaha AS-3200 as a amplifier only with the main in, the bass and treble controls do not apply in this mode/have no effect.

For the Yamaha AS-3200, I have those preouts going to my REL sub with the lower level input using the L/R. In this configuration, the sub does not play. Shouldn't the pre-outs be alive/working on the Yamaha AS-3200 in this configuration?

No, that won’t work. The “Pre-Out” is the output from the pre-amplifier — you have bypassed the pre-amplifier on the A-S3200 by connecting directly to the main-in, so there is nothing to output.

In similar setups I’ve used a Y-splitter from the pre-amp to send the signal to both the power amp and subwoofer. The R-N2000A has a dedicated subwoofer output though; why not just use that?

OP
D

dman777

I would prefer to use the RN2000A subwoofer out. But it doesn't have a L R connections, just a single out. Should I get a y splitter for that so it will take the single sub cable and turn it into a L R?

You can use a Y splitter, but it should also be fine to just connect to one of the sub inputs. You might want to check the manual for the REL to see if says anything about that setup; some subs specifically recommend using the Left input when using a mono cable.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not likely the RN2000A sub preout has much advantage with gear like this, but the sub pre-out would be mono and possibly limited. Strange amp setup, tho.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Question, please... I have a

Yamaha r-n2000a which I use a preamp to the Yamaha AS-3200. The Yamaha r-n2000a pre outs are used/taken to go to the main on the Yamaha AS-3200. Since I am using the Yamaha AS-3200 as a amplifier only with the main in, the bass and treble controls do not apply in this mode/have no effect.

For the Yamaha AS-3200, I have those preouts going to my REL sub with the lower level input using the L/R. In this configuration, the sub does not play. Shouldn't the pre-outs be alive/working on the Yamaha AS-3200 in this configuration?

Why aren’t you just using the high level inputs of the Rel subwoofer? But what a strange setup.

Just get rid of either one of the Yamahas. Or get a mini dsp with Dirac for the A-S3200

popej

Doesn't R-N2000A support bass management? Connect subwoofer output of R-N2000A to LFE input of Rel, run YPAO measurement on R-N2000A, eventually correct speaker size or crossover frequency and you are done.

bobbyndd1

No, that won’t work. The “Pre-Out” is the output from the pre-amplifier — you have bypassed the pre-amplifier on the A-S3200 by connecting directly to the main-in, so there is nothing to output.

In similar setups I’ve used a Y-splitter from the pre-amp to send the signal to both the power amp and subwoofer. The R-N2000A has a dedicated subwoofer output though; why not just use that?
i have a similar problem but I am not worried about tone controls now working because my Yamaha R-N602 does not have a pre-amp out. It has only line out which explains why I cannot control the volume nobes. I have connected my Yamaha to a NAD amplifier. I wanted to know if the inbuild DAC is coming into play in this mode? Or if the DAC is completely out of the circuit, can I use the headphone out as preamp out?

I’m not entirely clear on what your signal chain is, but if you have any sources connected to the optical or digital coaxial inputs on the Yamaha, or if you’re using the wireless or wired network connectivity, then yes, the Yamaha DAC is converting the signal.

Technically I suppose you could use the headphone output as a pre-amp out of sorts, but if I needed that functionality I’d be more inclined to run a line out to a volume controller (a Schiit Sys for example) and then in to your power amp (I’m assuming here that the NAD is a power amp and you’re looking for a way to control volume). The tone controls would not be in the signal chain in that scenario.

What are you trying to achieve by using the Yamaha as a pre-amp? Do you feel that your speakers require the power of the NAD? Are you using the NAD to power speakers in another location?

bobbyndd1

I’m not entirely clear on what your signal chain is, but if you have any sources connected to the optical or digital coaxial inputs on the Yamaha, or if you’re using the wireless or wired network connectivity, then yes, the Yamaha DAC is converting the signal.

Technically I suppose you could use the headphone output as a pre-amp out of sorts, but if I needed that functionality I’d be more inclined to run a line out to a volume controller (a Schiit Sys for example) and then in to your power amp (I’m assuming here that the NAD is a power amp and you’re looking for a way to control volume). The tone controls would not be in the signal chain in that scenario.

What are you trying to achieve by using the Yamaha as a pre-amp? Do you feel that your speakers require the power of the NAD? Are you using the NAD to power speakers in another location?
Thanks for the response. I have both optical ( from TV) and digital coaxial (from CD Player) inputs on the Yamaha. Apart from this, I use my Yamaha as a DLNA endpoint to stream my music from PC over the network. I rarely use the Airplay ( mostly by my friends when they give visit ). Yamaha also got Tidal and Spotify and comes handy with a remote control which lets me swtich the inputs. Now I am planning to upgrade to an All in one device like Eversolo A6 or FiiO R7. These are expensive devices and my Yamaha can do almost the same functions except no touch screen and modern DAC.

When I connect my Yamaha directly to the speakers ( Q acoustics 3050i), I need to crank up the volume to 75% above ( around -20 to -18 ) to make my Q acoustics sing. So I added an old NAD 317 which got plenty to of power and at 20% volume, its loud enough for my room. This NAD is an intergated amps with pre and power seperation so it can act as pre-amp and power amp. I don't have remote for NAD and problem is that when I connect Yamaha via Lineout the volume control doesn't work. So I thought replacing my Yamaha with a device which got all the inputs and preamp out will work. Now considering the cost of the new device, I am okay to keep my Yamaha if the DAC is working in the lineout mode ( inputs from my TV & CD player). If the DACs are not coming into play, that will justify my reason to replace my Yamaha and if the DAC is working, I am content with the current setup. So I need your advise.

My Signal Chains :

TV Optical Out>Yamaha Optical In>Yamaha Lineout>NAD Line In>Q Acoustics
CD Coaxial Out>Yamaha Coaxial In>Yamaha Lineout>NAD Line In>Q Acoustics
From PC >Audirvana/Plex>Yamaha via Wifi>Yamaha Lineout>NAD Line In>Q Acoustics

Thanks

popej

I need to crank up the volume to 75% above ( around -20 to -18 ) to make my Q acoustics sing. So I added an old NAD 317 which got plenty to of power and at 20% volume, its loud enough for my room.
Both amplifiers have similar power capability. Percentage of volume settings is not directly comparable. My guess is, that you don't even heat up the amplifiers.

bobbyndd1

Both amplifiers have similar power capability. Percentage of volume settings is not directly comparable. My guess is, that you don't even heat up the amplifiers.
On paper yes, both have 80 wpc, but the power output from NAD is huge! It has got a big fat torroidal transformer ( around 6 inch diameter )and weights around 13 KG, NAD amplifiers are usually found to be much more powerful than they are actually rated. A good insight into the reason can be found Here. NAD volume nob at 9 O'clock = Yamaha at around -20 to -18 db.

I tested the headphone out from yamaha using a 6.35 MM to RCA cable. It sounded bad, as if I am hearing from an old radio. Maybe the cables are of bad quality. I immediately switched back to Line Out mode. I guess adding a One in all universal remote to control my NAD will fix my problem.

I am okay to keep my Yamaha if the DAC is working in the lineout mode ( inputs from my TV & CD player). If the DACs are not coming into play, that will justify my reason to replace my Yamaha and if the DAC is working, I am content with the current setup. So I need your advice.

Yes, the DAC in the Yamaha is converting the TV and CD signals before sending them on to the NAD.

D

Deleted member 48726

The R-N2000a is funny enough more powerful than the A-S3200 for some reason..

1704462266557.png

1704462283298.png

Top Bottom