• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for amplifier advice

Gaborm1

Hi,

I am a newbie in the forum. This is my first post, and looking for some advice.
I have a Yamaha R-N602 Receiver that I use mainly for streaming music from Apple Music and Apple Classical (lossless when available). However, I have an Onkyo Integra A-9711 Amplifier in the attic that I haven't used in the last five years. The Onkyo input selector switch had some noise; it was repaired and worked for a year, but the problem returned afterwards. When I took the amplifier to Richer Sounds to check if they could fix it, they suggested buying the Yamaha R-N602. I like the Yamaha but somehow miss the basses the Onkyo had with my Dali Zensor 3 speakers. I have the setup in our master bedroom and usually listen to classical symphonic music, but never loud.

I am wondering whether it makes sense to give the Onkyo another try or if the investment isn't worthwhile, as the sound quality is not better than that of the Yamaha R-N602. The Onkyo was my first real Hi-Fi investment, and somehow, I am emotionally connected to it. On top of that, I also have a DX7711 CD player (no fault). On the other hand, I could afford to sell both the Onkyo and the Yamaha and buy a new amplifier for around £2000.

So my questions are:
  1. Would you like me to give it a try to fix the Onkyo A-9711?
  2. Does the Yamaha R-N602 have a better sound quality vs. the Onkyo?
  3. If I sell both, what is your amplifier or integrated amplifier suggestion for around £2000?
Thanks for all the advice in advance!

Overseas

Major Contributor
If you are sure you prefer the Onkyo, fix it. It is not a top model, but if it suits you, you save 2000.

On this scientific forum, most probably you will be advised any perceived difference between the two is just subjective.

Also, try bass setting on the Yamaha. But be advised bass is highly dependent on speakers positioning.

No point to spend 2000, but if it itches you, go for better speakers.

Still, you may try inexpensive good amps like Wiim, Fosi Audio, Aiyima, Topping. Check the reviews here.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I am a newbie in the forum. This is my first post, and looking for some advice.

Welcome!

I would say that if it gets loud enough without distorting, you have a good starting point.

My typical first suggestion is for folks to get a $100 measurement mic and use it with free software to do some in room measurements. This will let you see exactly what is happening in your room, and you can make adjustments to the overall situation.

Nothing crazy about being attached to some favorite gear. Using these tools will let you not only see what your frequency response looks like, but could also let you see if there are any gross differences between receivers.

Do you use any room correction? Not sure what may be built into the receivers you have.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Rn602 is a streamer Musiccast, but no Ypao room correction.

OP
G

Gaborm1

Welcome!

I would say that if it gets loud enough without distorting, you have a good starting point.

My typical first suggestion is for folks to get a $100 measurement mic and use it with free software to do some in room measurements. This will let you see exactly what is happening in your room, and you can make adjustments to the overall situation.

Nothing crazy about being attached to some favorite gear. Using these tools will let you not only see what your frequency response looks like, but could also let you see if there are any gross differences between receivers.

Do you use any room correction? Not sure what may be built into the receivers you have.
Thanks for the feedback. No room correction is available in the Yamaha.

OP
G

Gaborm1

If you are sure you prefer the Onkyo, fix it. It is not a top model, but if it suits you, you save 2000.

On this scientific forum, most probably you will be advised any perceived difference between the two is just subjective.

Also, try bass setting on the Yamaha. But be advised bass is highly dependent on speakers positioning.

No point to spend 2000, but if it itches you, go for better speakers.

Still, you may try inexpensive good amps like Wiim, Fosi Audio, Aiyima, Topping. Check the reviews here.
Thanks. I am in the middle of some house refurbishment, and my current room setup, including the speaker position, will change. What would be your advice in terms of a bookshelf speaker update around the £1000/$1300 range?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Focal, Triangle, Piega, some Wharfedale but check this forum for advice.

Mikig

Thanks. I am in the middle of some house refurbishment, and my current room setup, including the speaker position, will change. What would be your advice in terms of a bookshelf speaker update around the £1000/$1300 range?
if the room will change, wait until you have the definitive situation.
Too many irons in the fire risk making you lose your goal.
First you say you want to change amplifier then ask for advice on speakers.

Instead, look on these pages for how to best configure the room and position of the speakers since you are renovating. This will make the biggest change.

Then the answers to your questions will probably come by themselves...
the Onkyo, if you like it and if you are fond of it, keep it, if you can get it permanently repaired and enjoy it.

OP
G

Gaborm1

if the room will change, wait until you have the definitive situation.
Too many irons in the fire risk making you lose your goal.
First you say you want to change amplifier then ask for advice on speakers.

Instead, look on these pages for how to best configure the room and position of the speakers since you are renovating. This will make the biggest change.

Then the answers to your questions will probably come by themselves...
the Onkyo, if you like it and if you are fond of it, keep it, if you can get it permanently repaired and enjoy it.
Thanks for the input; I am hesitating about what makes sense, considering the options above. I will take your and others' advice to make any decisions after the refurbishment is completed and the new setup is tested with my current gear.

Top Bottom