• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Alexia V - 2023 Stereophile Speaker of the Year ???

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm, I don't think that answered my question.

Let me try this: What is the fourier transform of a single cycle of a 40Hz sine wave?
What is the relevance of your question to my point that you can’t eliminate a room mode with EQ? Do you disagree with that assertion? Do you disagree with the assertion that even trying to eliminate a room mode generated peak with EQ will in effect bury the original signal in the reverberation from that room mode?

Robin L

Master Contributor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You know what. Keep on trying to fix room modes with EQ. Enjoy your smeared bass. It’s no wonder Ethan Winer left this forum in disgust.

You really need to take a deep breath. Again.

Adis

5 milliseconds for 20 hz. You all do understand that this is about transients in actual music right? And we are talking about the effects of a room mode peak on audio playback in a real world room yeah?
Riiiight.
What's the opposite of actual music? Just to make sure I got this right, that is.

Short38

Those are Pass Lab 350 amps not D’Agostino’s. No idea what the two other boxes on the floor are.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Do you disagree with the assertion that even trying to eliminate a room mode generated peak with EQ will in effect bury the original signal in the reverberation from that room mode?
I'm not @Beave, but I disagree with that assertion, both on the theoretical basis of Fourier analysis, and on my real-world experiene of using room EQ in my own system, which has improved the sound more than any other single thing that I have ever done.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
A transient is an initial pulse of sound of substantially higher amplitude than the decay that follows. It is not frequency dependent. Again, what do you think you would get if you tested your impulse (not an impulse, a step) response and you limited the signal sweep to the bass region? Nothing?
You would get no attack, just the fundemental tone. Try it sometimes instead of arguing endlessly when your wrong.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
You know what. Keep on trying to fix room modes with EQ. Enjoy your smeared bass. It’s no wonder Ethan Winer left this forum in disgust.
So you have no idea what Fourier analysis is? I guess Ethan didn't like being wrong either.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Kick drum waveform and spectrogram. Look how fast the initial attack is compared to the bass tone at the end. Look at all the high freqs in the attack.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The waterfall plots I know all show only the decay, not the rise. And the decay on the low frequencies is much longer than elsewhere.

Edit: here are typical examples from Stereophile (Estelon Aura) and Sound & Recording (Neumann KH310, sealed box):
1223-EstAurafig7-600.jpg
Neumann-KH310-Messungen4.jpg

Yes! It's math, Fourier series:

The first four partial sums of the Fourier series for a square wave. As more harmonics are added, the partial sums converge to (become more and more like) the square wave.
189px-Fourier_Series.svg.png

Yes, and this leading edge of the rise consists of high frequencies. The spectrum of percussions is very wide and ranges from almost DC up to high frequencies.

See this example from Wikipedia, which starts with a low frequency sinus (fundamental) with a slow rise, and then adds more and more harmonics with rising frequency. The more harmonic are added the steeper gets the rise:
Fourier_series_for_square_wave.gif

If you have access to a sub then do this experiment: play percussive sounds with what you'd call a fast bass. Then disconnect the satellites and listen to the sub only, and tell me whether the percussion still sounds fast.
Great post, and no reply. Ever feel like your banging your head on a wall? Already asked him to try the sub experiment. Im done wasting my time. Like I said earlier, Dunning-Kruger. Im otta here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ferrellms

How is this possible given the measurements? Can’t wrap my brain around it :facepalm:

ChatGPT 4 invokes Stereophile =
Prompt
write a review of A pair of speakers in the style of stereophile magazine - they are huge and expensive but actually sound mediocre but you need to make sure the manufacturer is not upset as they are advertisers in your publication
ChatGPT4 response
eview of the TitanSound Grandiose Speakers
In the world of high-fidelity audio, the TitanSound Grandiose speakers stand as a monument to ambitious design and engineering. Towering majestically in any room, their imposing presence is matched only by the boldness of their conception. Crafted with exquisite materials, these speakers make a striking visual statement, demanding attention and admiration.
When it comes to performance, the Grandiose speakers offer a unique listening experience. Their sound profile is distinct, with a character that might surprise traditional audiophiles. While they may not conform to conventional expectations of sonic perfection, they bring a certain flair to audio reproduction. The midranges exhibit an individualistic quality, and the bass, though not as overwhelming as one might anticipate given their size, provides a steady presence.
The highs, meanwhile, are handled with a restraint that is unexpected but not unappreciated. It’s in this range that the Grandiose speakers show a different aspect of their personality, one that eschews the brash for the subtle.
These speakers are, indeed, a statement piece, and their performance is as much about the experience they offer as it is about the music they play. The TitanSound Grandiose might not be for every audiophile, but for those looking for something that breaks the mold, they present an intriguing option.
In the realm of high-end, luxury audio equipment, where art and technology intertwine, the Grandiose speakers carve out their own niche. They remind us that in the pursuit of extraordinary audio experiences, there are many paths, and not all of them tread the familiar ground.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Prompt
write a review of A pair of speakers in the style of stereophile magazine - they are huge and expensive but actually sound mediocre but you need to make sure the manufacturer is not upset as they are advertisers in your publication
ChatGPT4 response
In the world of high-fidelity audio, the TitanSound Grandiose speakers stand as a monument to ambitious design and engineering. Towering majestically in any room, their imposing presence is matched only by the boldness of their conception. Crafted with exquisite materials, these speakers make a striking visual statement, demanding attention and admiration.
When it comes to performance, the Grandiose speakers offer a unique listening experience. Their sound profile is distinct, with a character that might surprise traditional audiophiles. While they may not conform to conventional expectations of sonic perfection, they bring a certain flair to audio reproduction. The midranges exhibit an individualistic quality, and the bass, though not as overwhelming as one might anticipate given their size, provides a steady presence.
The highs, meanwhile, are handled with a restraint that is unexpected but not unappreciated. It’s in this range that the Grandiose speakers show a different aspect of their personality, one that eschews the brash for the subtle.
These speakers are, indeed, a statement piece, and their performance is as much about the experience they offer as it is about the music they play. The TitanSound Grandiose might not be for every audiophile, but for those looking for something that breaks the mold, they present an intriguing option.
In the realm of high-end, luxury audio equipment, where art and technology intertwine, the Grandiose speakers carve out their own niche. They remind us that in the pursuit of extraordinary audio experiences, there are many paths, and not all of them tread the familiar ground.
takemymoney.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Barbie says, ports are hard!
This smacks of double entendre.
Maybe it's just me...
I do not want to think about Barbie's port(s)-- hard or otherwise. I thought she was a sealed enclosure.
I was oh so tempted to type sealed box -- but I thought better of it.

hex168

This has been my experience. I don’t need hours and hours for my ears to get accustomed to a new speaker. I can tell right away if it’s a contender and worth an extended listen.

I’d never buy an expensive speaker without auditioning first. I can then correlate the measurements with what I’m hearing. I’ve done this enough times to develop a sense for if I’ll like a speaker or not based on its measurements. But measurements have to be very complete.

If I have a set of measurements done to CEA 2034-A-2015 and a set of on axis measurements of nth order distortion vs frequency vs amplitude than I can tell if I’m going to like the speaker.

Just looking at measurements in the Stereophile article gave me very little perspective on what I might hear. I think these measurements had too much room interaction to be truly helpful. They were good enough to take the time to go listen these speakers.
Not picking on you, just a pet peeve: "Audition" means to try out, as in "audition for a part in a play." The director is not auditioning, the actor is. Don't fall into the audiophool pretentiousness of substituting "audition" for "listen."

DonR

Major Contributor
Prompt
ChatGPT4 response
That is frighteningly accurate but the Grandiose is one of their lower range models

prestigetone

Has anyone heard these speakers? I know asr = measurements. Those for me are baselines. Bit like making a cake. It might have all the ingredients and everything is measured the same but execution varies. Materials. Don’t harm the messenger, as I’m merely interested if anyone has firsthand experience.

AdrianusG

Has anyone heard these speakers? I know asr = measurements. Those for me are baselines. Bit like making a cake. It might have all the ingredients and everything is measured the same but execution varies. Materials. Don’t harm the messenger, as I’m merely interested if anyone has firsthand experience.
I'm pretty sure this is just an example, aka a review of "virtual" speaker, a typical review in the style of Stereophile.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What now? The measurements are the cake.

Would you ask if anyone has tasted a 500€ cake that's burned and topped with sawdust and rusty nails?

Top Bottom