• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile and Audio Cables

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be careful with such statements.

View attachment 357975
A little context would inform your refutation.

That difference in waveforms looks like it’s in the megahertz range. But I’m doing the math in my head.

Rick “not talking about frequencies high enough that velocity factor matters” Denney

Reactions: MAB

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. But for some reason they prefer the explanation that "everything matters" and "tweaks" pretty much always effect the sound, no matter how implausible... vs. this.

What makes more sense, that science is unable to fully characterize audio despite massive evidence to the contrary, and cognitive biases don't apply to you if you don't want them to? OR expectation biases work the way pretty much every experiment shows they work?

Yes, the right way to say that is: once you have controlled for what we do know and for cognitive bias, what’s left of the supposed effect?

Rick “the point is: not everything matters” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but the statement was “waveform in = waveform out?” and as such the statement is wrong, the view is wrong. All we can do is to compare spectra in/out limited to the audio band. And to use the tool like Deltawave. Waveform in/out is quite misleading.
Another thought now that I’m more caught up: we are asked to believe may be dealing with insignificant effects and debating their significance.

But that’s just smokescreen. We are really asked to believe myth and lore that suggests the possibility of significant effects we don’t know about and can’t measure. Yet somehow we are expected to believe that some entrepreneur’s back-room genius figured it out, even though he can’t explain it clearly or even show data that reveals the effect actually exists.

The industry does not depend on knowing, it depends on not knowing.

That’s where keeping it simple avoids a lot of deception.

Rick “JA knows this” Denney

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks like an SWR issue. It's important if you're trying to work at 50MHz. At audio, it's completely irrelevant. The point trying to be "proved" here is terminological, not physical.

On the other hand, some here are overly pedantic.

Victor Martell

I am a member of many different audio forums, and I also peruse those I haven't joined. ASR is constantly name checked. It's made a very big impact.

Which is a more succinct way of saying what I wrote in the post starting this line of conversation... Even if peeps won't change their minds, ASR is always in there... Banquo in their banquet, to quote Marillion (and obliquely, the bard, of course)

Short38

He’s dead Bob….nearly 500 posts leading nowhere. State hypothesis, test hypothesis or go to sleep.

Victor Martell

Which is a more succinct way of saying what I wrote in the post starting this line of conversation... Even if peeps won't change their minds, ASR is always in there... Banquo in their banquet, to quote Marillion (and obliquely, the bard, of course)

Apologies for replying to my own post - just in case it's bad form - but the following thread popped out over at Hoffman - and guess what? ASR gets mentioned almost immediately. Again, there is an impact - a noticeable one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies for replying to my own post - just in case it's bad form - but the following thread popped out over at Hoffman - and guess what? ASR gets mentioned almost immediately. Again, there is an impact - a noticeable one.

I read the first page of that forum link. It's all noobs learning from each other and asking each other for ideas. :D

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the first page of that forum link. It's all noobs learning from each other and asking each other for ideas. :D
''As Caelin Gabriel at Shunyata told my audiophile club, he finds cable burn-in to be a fact, not a belief.''

So there you go, case closed.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
''As Caelin Gabriel at Shunyata told my audiophile club, he finds cable burn-in to be a fact, not a belief.''

So there you go, case closed.
"finds" seems like an odd, perhaps even ironic, choice of verb.
Wouldn't one infer that actual facts would require, or at least benefit from, the use of forms of the verb to be?
Yeah, yeah, Bill Clinton notwithstanding ;)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"finds" seems like an odd, perhaps even ironic, choice of verb.
Wouldn't one infer that actual facts would require, or at least benefit from, the use of forms of the verb to be?
Well, maybe it is a found fact...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To install a cable and then at some point to think 'Ah now it is burned in and sounding more open and musical than it did weeks - or even months - ago, when it was new.'

What confidence! And then to be so sure of it as to feel quite comfortable in asserting that this is a 'fact'.

Such a man could do anything.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find myself puzzled by Shunyata, particularly as regards use of their cable systems in medical and scientific instrument applications. https://shunyata.com/technology/#clear-image-scientific-link

Are physicians and hospital administrators being hornswoggled by these people, or are the Shunyata cables offering real benefits for those applications? The brief presentation of the alleged theory behind what their products do isn't absurd on its face, at least to my electronics-challenged brain.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find myself puzzled by Shunyata, particularly as regards use of their cable systems in medical and scientific instrument applications. https://shunyata.com/technology/#clear-image-scientific-link

Are physicians and hospital administrators being hornswoggled by these people, or are the Shunyata cables offering real benefits for those applications? The brief presentation of the alleged theory behind what their products do isn't absurd on its face, at least to my electronics-challenged brain.
The Shunyata cables are NOT offering any real benefits for those or any other applications. Shunyata is committing pure consumer fraud straight across the board.

olieb

The brief presentation of the alleged theory behind what their products do isn't absurd on its face, at least to my electronics-challenged brain.
Well to me their "theory" is exactly that.
KPIP™ (‌‌Kinetic Phase Inversion Process) was developed by Caelin Gabriel after years of research into the underlying causes of various effects such as burn-in, wire directionality and the effects of cryogentic treatment. He discovered that there was an underlying core principle that burn-in and cryogenics only “partially” addressed. Once the governing principle was understood it became possible to create a processing technique and machine that could virtually eliminate the need for burn-in and cryogenic treatment.
What an absurd heap of nonsense.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Shunyata cables are NOT offering any real benefits for those or any other applications. Shunyata is committing pure consumer fraud straight across the board.
Do you have an explanation for the claimed noise reduction achieved in electrophysiology measurements when their power conditioning is employed?

Again: this stuff is beyond my understanding; just trying to learn something here. And pardon me for not accepting a simple statement that "It's all nonsense." That doesn't advance my understanding.

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
EKGs, EMGs, etc have all worked gloriously for years. Case studies are laughable in the medical field, and don’t qualify as research.

Top Bottom